• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Forster Co-ax Press and Full Size Die Setup

EROCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
Hello again,

I just purchased the Forster Co-ax press and should be in the mail today.

Since the Forster Co-ax press uses their patented universal shellholder I was wondering if my method of setting up my full size die will change. Currently I have a Lee single stage press and the way I setup my full size die is I have the ram and shellholder all the way up then I screw down the die until it touches then I back out the die 1.25 turns to get just the right amount of partial resizing on the case while using a full size die.

Now with the Forster not using a standrad shellholder will I get the same result using my method as described above? If I do that would mean the Forster universal shellholder is dimensionally in line with a standard shellholder, is this correct?

THANKS!

Re: Forster Co-ax Press and Full Size Die Setup

Die set-up should be the same as a press with a shellholder. The jaws of the Co-Ax are .125" thick or the same dimension as a shellholder should be from the top that the die contacts to the shelf the case sits on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rg1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Die set-up should be the same as a press with a shellholder. The jaws of the Co-Ax are .125" thick or the same dimension as a shellholder should be from the top that the die contacts to the shelf the case sits on. </div></div>

Right on:) Thanks you very much Sir.

I can't wait to use this press and look forward to making better quality rifle handloads.

No matter what press you are using FL die set up should be done with a headspace gauge, the instructions that came with most FL dies are only good for whipping your ass when your wife forget to buy toilet paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter what press you are using FL die set up should be done with a headspace gauge, the instructions that came with most FL dies are only good for whipping your ass when your wife forget to buy toilet paper. </div></div>

I will be using the gauge to double check but I just wanted to get in the ballpark right off the bat.

I use wetwipes so the instructions may just smear sh1t on my @ss. Thanks but no thanks, lol

Die set up is the same for any press; it's the cases we work towards getting right, not the press.

You'll love this press, its worth the extra cash.

Don't get retarded when tightening Forster lock ring screws, they seem to break easy, Hornady lock rings work great in Co-Ax presses, but my favorite is Sinclair lock rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get retarded when tightening Forster lock ring screws, they seem to break easy, Hornady lock rings work great in Co-Ax presses, but my favorite is Sinclair lock rings. </div></div>

Noted. Thanks for the heads up, it just so happens I bought two of the Forster lock rings with the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get retarded when tightening Forster lock ring screws, they seem to break easy, Hornady lock rings work great in Co-Ax presses, but my favorite is Sinclair lock rings. </div></div>

By any chance do you drive a Ford?

I used to race Mustang's in my previous life..

Damn...35 years of loading on a Coax, and I haven't broken the Forster (Bonanza) rings yet. Must be doing something wrong. JMHO

FL die setup will be the same and the dies will need to be setup again when going into another press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter what press you are using FL die set up should be done with a headspace gauge, the instructions that came with most FL dies are only good for whipping your ass when your wife forget to buy toilet paper. </div></div>

couldn't have said it better myself

A note on Hornady LnL gauges.

Did a lot of experementing with these things. They are not accurate. I took a forster 1.630 match headspace gauge and popped it in the gauge and it measured 1.623. Ordered 4 more gauge bodies and they varied widely.

If you want an accurated measure, get a match headspace gauge.

Zero a digital caliper on the headspace gauge when it's in the Hornady gauge. That's your base reference.

Your zero now corresponds to a known measurement.

If you are using a 1.630 gauge for .308, measure and note the difference. If it says -.004, the actual measurement is 1.626
(1.630-.004=1.626)