• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Co Ax question

Marksman762

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2005
Grand Forks, ND
Will the Co-Ax accept a standard shell holder in some fashion? I use the RCBS swager which would require a standard shell holder attachment of some sort.

Thanks!

Re: Forster Co Ax question

Forster makes an adaptor to use the standard shell holders.

Yes, they sell an adapter that takes standard shell holders.

However, the RCBS primer pocket swager uses an inverted cup with a hole in it that the swager rod protrudes through. The cup fits down around standard press rams, such that when you lower the ram far enough, the cup rim hits the press frame, stripping the cartridge off the swager as you lower the ram further. You can't do that with the co-ax and universal shell holder adapter, so you'd need to develop another method to strip the case off the swager rod. Maybe a wide, flat screwdriver?

Andy

Get yourself a used Lee press to do your primer pocket work. They are pretty cheap new so used would be real cheap. I'm going to do my pocket swaging on my Lee turret before I finish them on the coax.

Thank you for the info. I started loading when I was 16 with a Lee Challenger press. It finally broke the other day while I was swaging so I'm in the process of looking for a new press. I have a friend who has anything I could need so I may buy the Co Ax and swing by his place to finish swaging on a Dillon swager.

If you are thinking of buying a co-ax press, do not delay, like I did.

I started handloading with an RCBS rockchucker and used it for 8 years before I bought the co-ax.
The rockchucker is mounted a foot away from the co-ax.
The rockchucker is gathering dust, while the co-ax gets used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are thinking of buying a co-ax press, do not delay, like I did.

I started handloading with an RCBS rockchucker and used it for 8 years before I bought the co-ax.
The rockchucker is mounted a foot away from the co-ax.
The rockchucker is gathering dust, while the co-ax gets used. </div></div>

you can send that dusty neglected rockchucker to my house....
wink.gif

Same here. The floating die station in the CO-AX reduces run-out during both sizing and seating with no other change in the process. My rockchucker has a dust cover on it. AG

Same for me,I pretty much put my Rockchucker into retirement after buying a CO AX.The only time I ever use my Rockchucker now,is for pulling bullets,which I very rarely ever do anymore.

Question for you guys:

I bought the Co-Ax and am wondering about die setup. My RCBS FL sizing die wants full contact with the shell holder. Is running the die flat against the shell holder jaws on the Co-Ax the same thing?

I'd hate to have it set that way, then realize 1,000 pieces later that they didn't size properly...

Thanks!

Yes BUTTTTTT you really need a way of measuring headspace, I recommend the Stoney Point now Hornady tool, this will ensure you are not over working or underworking your brass.

My Rockchucker doesn't gather any dust after getting my CO AX, my son uses it now.
grin.gif

When I saw the CO AX at the NRA show in Milwaukee a few years ago I had to get one. Should have done it alot sooner.

I was inverting the co-ax jaws from big case heads to small, when a jaw spring shot across the room and landing in any one of 100 containers of bullets or brass.

When this happens [ to some old guys like me with poor eyesight and fumble fingers], they buy a second co-ax press.

My corrective action was to buy a second set of jaws and modify both sets so they could be swapped without tools in less than 30 seconds while I was blindfolded.

From Forster:
028271-046 WEAR PLATE $3.60
028271-037 SHELLHOLDER JAW HOUSING $14.80
001231 LOWER SHELLHOLDER JAWS--S(STANDARD)$29.60
028271-039 JAW PRESSURE SPRING (2) ea.$1.44
Instead of the Allen head screws now used to hold down the jaw assembly:
028271-020 10-24 X 5/8 INCH BUTTON HEAD SCREW (4) ea.$1.55

From Enco:
4-40 flat top screw
#43 drill
4-40 tap
90 degree countersink drill

The screw captures the springs and jaws between the wear plate and housing.
The countersink hole in in the wear plate.
The threaded hole is in the housing.
pic of modified jaw assembly