• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Coax and Hornady custom grade dies compatibility

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Almost bought a set of 6.5 creedmoor dies today at a bargain price but wanted to get some information first.

Does anyone run Hornady custom grade 6.5 creedmoor dies on a "newer" forster coax, with the forster aluminum lock rings?

Reason for the question is, I have a set of these dies in 22-250 and the lock ring is on the last thread of the die body. It almost doesn't work. It's backed off just enough so the die doesn't start to crimp the case while seating. I'll attach a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 20210811_181008.jpg
    20210811_181008.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 45
Hornady seating dies in general don’t work all that great with a coax. My 300bo is hanging n for dear life to like barely a thread engaged and my 22 creed and 270 dies have less than one thread exposed below.

It’s for seating a general caliber and not a specific chambering. It’s pretty shitty imo. But it’s cheap and they work for most thread in presses.

Reactions: Cookieman8
Hornady seating dies in general don’t work all that great with a coax. My 300bo is hanging n for dear life to like barely a thread engaged and my 22 creed and 270 dies have less than one thread exposed below.

It’s for seating a general caliber and not a specific chambering. It’s pretty shitty imo. But it’s cheap and they work for most thread in presses.
Lol I completely understand. My 223,300blk, 308, all work pretty good in the coax but these hornadys are hit and miss it seems. If someone has did it in 6.5 creed , I'd love to see a picture.

I would run the standard RCBS dies in it but not a fan of the seating stem, at least you can swap the hornady out

That looks about right, I only have one Hornady seating die that I use, a 222 with the micrometer stem and it just clears the
arm.

I run a Hornady seating die for 6GT and don’t have any issues.
I do have and use the micrometer stem, but I don’t see how that would make a difference.

I run a Hornady seating die for 6GT and don’t have any issues.
I do have and use the micrometer stem, but I don’t see how that would make a difference.
Actually, if I back the seating stem way out, the die would sit “deeper” and thus I would have more threads showing below the lock ring.
So what I’m saying is, I may have a case of the downs and don’t pay me any attention.