• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

forster comp seater die question?

Slickrick0999

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2006
McMinnville, Tennessee
My forster seating die is leaving a ring around my 178 Amax bullets. Why is it doing this and how do I correct? I dont remember seeing this with the 175 SMK's. I have already taken it apart to clean. Nothing to bad on that. I load some more and the ring is still there.
Thanks,
Rick

Re: forster comp seater die question?

You can use a bullet and grinding compound to better fit the bullet's nose to the plug. However, if it's not affecting accuracy, you don't have to bother with it.

What you don't want is the bullet's tip contacting the plug.

My 308 did this on the first 500 to 800 and then it stopped leaving the ring never did affect accuracy.
Slick how many do you have through the Die?

just chuck a bullet in your makita cordless, a little lapping compound on it and
hit the seater plug about 10 or 20 seconds.

shortround,
probably about 150 or so of the Amax's thru it with about 100 of the 175SMK's. I dont remember seeing the ring with the SMK's

bigwheeler,
Will doing that be bullet specific? Would I need to get a seater for each bullet?

Thanks for the help guys!

I do it on the same plug for any bullet type I see marked. It is just taking of a sharp or high spot. You're not trying to reshape the plug.

I first got a Forster Seater die 10 years ago.
Bullets not only got a ring, but could get stuck in the stem.

I looked at the seating stem under a microscope, and the de-burr cut had left a burr.

I chucked up the seater stem, spun it, and de burred the de burr burr with a folded up tiny piece of fine wet and dry abrasive paper.
Then the seater worked fine.

I told Forster about this and sent pictures.

Years went by.

I bought more Forster dies.

The same problem surfaced again and again.

Just like my other engineering suggestion I sent to the receptionist at Forster, it is getting rejected or lost. [I have a large jaw - small jaw fast swap mod for the co-ax press]

They still make the best dies.

Redding for me.........
After the last 2 sets of Forsters, being JUST like that.....I do not need the hassle.

I have not had a seater that hasn't done this. I use redding, forster, and Hornady... all are match dies w/mics

My Redding Comp seater did that for the first 10-20 bullets then it just went away and has not done it on any bullet I seat with it. Call it a break in?

It is like so many things you buy, you have to take it apart, inspect, polish, clean, reassemble, adjust, modify, etc.

I take a gun apart as soon as I get it.
I take Lee Collet dies apart and polish the parts that rub.
I take the expander ball / decapping stem out of sizer dies and throw them away.
I hone out the necks in sizer dies.

Mate have a chat to forster directly, I've heard you can send in 4 dummy cartridges and your die and they will hone it out correctly for a minimal fee, speak to them direct.
I was going to do this but a local BR shooter did it.

The first foresters that I bought 10yrs ago for a 220 swift and 22-250 did the same thing on both of them. I called and sent the dies back to forester to check and they sent me new stems back. They did the same thing. I still have them but do not shoot the rounds any more. I just got 2 new seaters from them. A 223 and a 308. Have not tried the 223 but the 308 does the same thing on my amaxs and my jlks. It is only on the long target style bullets that it does it. I have tried sierra hollow pts and hornady's hollow pts with no problems but when I do the amaxs it shows up. I have never tried to deburr the plug though. I might add that on one of my reddings, it does the same thing. I have not seen a decrease in accuracy for the most part but does bother the shit out of me to see a ring around what is supposed to be target loads. What I have done now is to get redding bushing dies so that I do not size the neck so tight and there is less resistance on the cases. I have not had the rings show up yet. I just sized some more cases so I will see what happens this go around. If it does not work, I will look at deburring the plug.

Secent v Tangent ogive maybe?