• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Custom Honed die

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
Just got in the mail today. Quickly headed to the loading room to try her out. I am using WCC 07 Brass and had the die honed to .2430 and it works perfect!! I seated a few projos and it is soo smooth. I had previously used redding dies and although very good dies, I could not get them to make a set of custom dies for me. The Forster sizes the neck with no donuts. I also noticed that when screwing in the die it has a very tight fit with no side to side wobble. Just like it was made for my press!

Re: Forster Custom Honed die

I got one honed out by Forster to .246" that is a go with at .2460" pin gauge.

That is often too loose.
-----------------------

A bushing die that is .246" is tight is a go with a .2450" pin gauge.

That is always tight enough.

-----------------------

I should have ordered die honed to .245" by Forster.

-------------------

And I would bet your neck was honed to more like .2435".

$16.50 or thereabouts. Go to their website for sure. ($12.50 plus shipping, I think) They have their limits to honing...about .008 under stock. As I disremember. They have done two for me. Beautiful work. Don't need to send cases. Just specify the sized diameter you want. They will take it as close to the specified diameter you desire (given the .008 under stock die size limit of their honing ability) that your die can give. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To do this, you just send them the die & a few once fired cases.... correct? What do they charge for this? Thanks! </div></div>

No.
You furnish a neck size to which you want the die honed.

Some of these are not optimum, so do not copy me, but this is what I sent to Forster:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sending my sizing die bodies back to the Forster factory to get the necks honed to the following larger inside diameters:
1) 6mmBR .265"
2) 257 Roberts Ackley Improved .284"
3) 30-30 .326"
4) 308 .330"
5) 30-06 .330"
6) 8x57mm .344"
7) 338 Win Mag .362"
8) 223 Rem .250"</div></div>

Well, in my case when I had a stuck neck sized case, I sent them 2 of my cases and they honed to that. That is what they asked for when I sent it back to them, not a measurement, but the actual cases.

turned out great,
madd0c

I was thinking that they accepted a few fired cases.... Probably the better way to go as measuring tools and techniques vary so much... Gonna give it a try!

Yeah I wanted to send them some cases but I need the die before perry, so I just called and gave the fella a few measurements and... like magic it just works.