• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster FLS & Ultra Micrometer Seater Dies

shotdown

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
Tampa, FL
www.instagram.com
What can you guys tell me about the "Forster Full Length Sizing & Ultra™ Micrometer Seater Dies" (#U04502)? Are they really good dies? I'll be reloading 175gr SMKs for my .308 SPS Tactical. Also, yes I'm a newb to reloading.

This die set

Re: Forster FLS & Ultra Micrometer Seater Dies

Those are the dies I use, and they are great. In my opinion, add their (Forster) bushing/bump die with 3 bushings, and you're set. You could spend more and get Redding, but will be no better off.

Some folks prefer FLS bushing dies, but I prefer to remove the expander ball, and finish-size the neck ID with a Sinclair expander mandrel. Some non-bushing FLS dies size the neck WAY small, but not the Forster.

Great set for $90.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are the dies I use, and they are great. <span style="font-weight: bold"> In my opinion, add their (Forster) bushing/bump die with 3 bushings, and you're set</span>. You could spend more and get Redding, but will be no better off.

Some folks prefer FLS bushing dies, but I prefer to remove the expander ball, and finish-size the neck ID with a Sinclair expander mandrel. Some non-bushing FLS dies size the neck WAY small, but not the Forster.

Great set for $90. </div></div>
Do you have a link to these? Not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks for your response.

I would not spend the money on the bushing setup until you are sure you need it.
If you do need it you are (IMHO) better off with a custom ground sizer and no expander ball.

That was the set I bought when I started reloading. The micrometer seating die is great! Determined pretty quickly that a FL die (any of them with expander) really works the necks hard and started looking for something different. Ended up with a Redding body die to essentially FL size and get shoulder bump without touching the neck. Added a Lee collet die to size the necks. If you have factory chamber and you're not neck turning the brass I think the collet is without a doubt the best way to handle neck sizing. If you don't get the necks consistent it doesn't matter what seating die you're using. Bullets will seat long/short because of different neck tension.

Being a non-bushing die the neck diameter is fixed and depending on your chamber may work just fine but if not for a very reasonable fee Forster will hone the neck to whatever neck size you need if you like running less neck tension.

This is the Bushing/bump die:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814070/...-308-winchester

It neck sizes, and bumps the shoulder back. With it, I only FLS every 6 or 7 firings, and that is with high pressure cartridges.

A REALLY nice piece of kit to add to your repertoire is the Sinclair expander die, and a 308 neck turning mandrel. Remove your FLS expander ball, which will leave necks undersized. Follow up with the expander, to final size th necks perfectly for .002" neck tension. Or when neck sizing only, choose a bushing that leaves the neck a couple thou under, and finish with the Sinclair expander. Works beautifully. Also fixes bent case mouths.

Forster dies are GTG. They're prety much all I use now.

Forster is my go to dies of choice too for 223, 308 and 338.

All of my dies are Forster, except a couple of Ackley calibers that Forster doesn't make.
The "benchrest" seater die works fine if you are only going to load one bullet in that caliber. The "micrometer" works best if you are going to load several different bullets and need to dial back to specific settings for each bullet.
I use the standard FL sizing die, and set it up to bump the shoulder back about .0015 or so. The ammo functions fine, and the accuracy has been very good so far.

I have both redding and Forster, both gtg, Forster honed my seating die based on the reamer I provided them. The micrometer is accurate to .001.

Forster FL and Micrometer seating dies. Lee neck sizer. I am going to start FL sizing first time, then neck size thereafter.