• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster "micrometer neck sizing die" only sizes the neck---right?

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
I was able to pick up a set of 308 and 223 Forster Micrometer neck sizing/seating dies off of Ebay for 150 bucks total and they look unused-I'm pretty stoked.

The question is can they be adjusted or used to "bump" the shoulders of the cases or can they only be used for sizing the neck...

Another question to bump this back up-what part of the case is usually the cause of a lock-up in a resizing die? Is it the neck/shoulder or more near the base of the case?

neck sizing only sir. there is a specific die for bumping shoulders. Use the money you saved and buy one.

Good shooting and reloading sir.

Another question to bump this back up-what part of the case is usually the cause of a lock-up in a resizing die? Is it the neck/shoulder or more near the base of the case?

Near the base. You're going to love that Ultra micrometer seater, love mine. Oh no, you didn't get the Ultra, did you?

Yes the die-set was the Ultra Micrometer seating die and neck sizing die that came in one box.

If I pick up a Forster "shoulder bumping" die, I'm assuming it has the same qualities with regard to the accuracy of neck sizing like my die PLUS the benefit of being able to bump the shoulder?

The neck has so little surface area, you don't even need to lube. The body of the case is what gets em stuck.

Thanks for all the answers.

Next question:

I have an RCBS full-length sizer/deprimer, could I just take out the expander part of the die and use it to bump the shoulder and then use the Forster to neck size?
Trying to save alittle money right now...

You can remove the expander ball, but it will still size the neck. With bushing dies, if you remove the bushing, the neck won't be sized.

Sure, makes sense. It would only resize the outside diameter though-correct? Running it through the Forster neck resizer would finish up the inside and outside of the neck, I would guess.

I like my Forster neck resizer alot and that's the only resizing I do for my bolt action UNTIL I need to bump the shoulders back after a few reloadings and that's what I'm looking to be able to accomplish.

You should only size the neck down to the desired size after the mouth is round. If it is oblong or dented, the case will need to have an expander ball run through it. The problem with using an expander ball with final sizing is that sometimes the diameter of the ball opens the neck to a greater diameter than the bushing in there. I step down size. First I size in a neck die with an oversized bushing and an expander ball. I then full length size with the desired size bushing. This ensures that I get a round mouth and proper neck tension.

The Forster neck sizing die has an expander ball. I thought that it would be best to bump the shoulder back first and then true and straighten everything else up by running it through the Forster neck sizing die. In fact, that's what I'm going to try first.

The Forster neck sizing die has an expander ball. I thought that it would be best to bump the shoulder back first and then true and straighten everything else up by running it through the Forster neck sizing die. In fact, that's what I'm going to try first.

A guy did a study a while back, and I cannot remember where I read it. He tried F/L sizing first, then neck sizing, and the other way around. What he found was that when he neck sized first, then F/L sized, the concentricity of the necks was noticeably better, and the cartridges had less runout.