• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster micrometer seating die inconsistencies

plinkin

Mall Ninja
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2014
florida
I have a forster micro seating die in 308 that I bought to alleviate concentricity issues which it did help but I'm having issues with inconsistent seating depth, I'm using 175 smk, once fired neck turned trimmed brass non compressed loads. I've checked the stem and the bullet does not contact the meplat at all. I did a short experiment with 5 rounds and the Lee seater I have and it was very consistent within a thousandth but 2 had 5-6 thou of total runout, were as the forster would be plus minus 3 thou but at the most 3 thou total runout mostly 1-2 thou so I do like the die. I'm almost certain it is something to do with the die, the stem on the forster is contacting closer to the ojive/part that contacts the lands. Anyone have any experience with this seater? I've got the thumb nut tight to the micrometer housing and stem shaft. The lock ring is tight to the press and the body is tight to the spring body I'm not sure what else it could be. Unless the oring in the micrometer housing is causing it.

This is most likely a press issue...There was a guy that posted about this same issue with a Lee not too long ago. Then tested his buddies RC and no issues. I have 8 or more Forster Ultra seating dies and dont have this issue in a Co-Ax, RC or Dillon.

The only thing that keeps from thinking that, is I previously loaded 1000 or so rds all with the Lee seater and I can't think of one time were I got a appreciable difference in seating depth. Smh it's frustrating, thanks for the replies. I'll keep it updated.

The only thing that keeps from thinking that, is I previously loaded 1000 or so rds all with the Lee seater and I can't think of one time were I got a appreciable difference in seating depth. Smh it's frustrating, thanks for the replies. I'll keep it updated.

Are you using the quick change bushing on the press? Cause play in those could be causing the seating depth differences you're seeing.

This is most likely a press issue...There was a guy that posted about this same issue with a Lee not too long ago. Then tested his buddies RC and no issues. I have 8 or more Forster Ultra seating dies and dont have this issue in a Co-Ax, RC or Dillon.

This is the reason I finally retired my Lee press after years of use by me and teaching my brother to
Reload on it, it developed some play between the ram and press frame.

To the OP if you would run your ram on your press up near the top of its stroke and check to see how much side to side play there is in it.

Just an fyi, I use a normal shell holder no bushing just screw and lock ring and the press only has maybe 1500 rds on it it has been oiled frequently. The press feels fairly tight.

On a side note I'm wanting to start to reload pistol, 223 and eventually some precision 6mm caliber. Right now I only load Precision 308 and I'm wondering if I should buy a good Progressive press or a Forster coax for precision rifle, could I get away with using the progressive press for precision rifle?

I have both. They both work but the 550c will be better for precision bolt gun ammo but you can use both.

Yea I looked a a couple of threads on here and I seen some of your posts, it looks like you have extensive experience. Could you elaborate on why the 550 would be better and what recommendations would you have for me setting one up ie extras, brands, bullet feeders, brass feeders.