• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Question

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
I'm having an issue with my press/die. Depending on the amount of pressure I put on my press arm when seating the bullet, varies the COAL of the load .003"-.005" (Lee Press and Redding Competition Seating Die). I understand a Forster DIE or PRESS has a 'torque wrench' type action that when a given amount of pressure is applied to the press arm the device releases any additional pressure. Is this true?? Which component has the 'torque wrench' action - is it the press or die?? Please explain.

Re: Forster Question

Ok, that's the one that basically applies more pressure the further/harder you push the handle down right?

The 'cam-over' is on presses where the lever/ram mechanism goes so far, then travels over centre at the top of the stroke, so the handle comes to a dead stop and no more pressure can be applied..

Is that what you mean?

Some presses have "give"...i.e., the press itself will warp when yield pressure is applied. Others, don't. Such as the Coax and the Redding that applies pressure between centers. JMHO

You understand that not all bullets are the same length, sort then seat by ojive length and let us know if things are consistent or not.

The Coax or the big Redding for a single stage. If you are sorting from the OAL, tip to base, you will NEVER get an answer. You have to sort from the diameter on the bullet that contacts your lands in YOUR rifle. The ogive length is the point....but it varies with the rifle. Read the Tres Mon sticky. It will point you at the way to measure the distances. JMHO

When you come to the first page in this section, look at about the first 10 posts...Tres Mon posted a TON of useful information that will keep you from redundant questions here. Case prep, sorting, powdering, bullets, etc etc. Read it...twice