• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Resizing Die Quality

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
I have seen the praises of the Forster full length resizing die here on the hide and I ordered one with the intention of sending it in for custom neck honing. When I opened the box I very disappointed by the crude machining and what appeared to be plating that was flaking off. Is this typical of Forster dies? I don’t want to request a replacement if it is.

Below is a photo of the Forster 223 resizing die I received compared to my Redding and Whidden 223 resizing dies. The difference in finish quality is dramatic. Forster is advertising a bright new zinc finish, but apparently it did not adhere very well on the die I purchased.

6916-edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesleon
Thats a really small part of the pic to se what youre talking about.

BUt yeah, mine dont have the new finish, still old dull gray.
If its on the outside where the arrows point it doesnt effect anything. Maybe send em an email to let em know it could still be improved but I wouldnt be worried about it myself.
1639426866847.png

Thats a really small part of the pic to se what youre talking about.

BUt yeah, mine dont have the new finish, still old dull gray.
If its on the outside where the arrows point it doesnt effect anything. Maybe send em an email to let em know it could still be improved but I wouldnt be worried about it myself.
View attachment 7760278

I spoke with then this morning and it is a new process. I don’t want a resizing die thats has zinc plating that could end up inside the die during resizing. I have returned the die to the dealer. Are the tool marks on the base of your resizing die as pronounced as the one in my photo?

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I have the older Forster dies; not a fan of the new finish. Was their reasoning for this to improve corrosion resistance?