• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Ultra micrometer seater die

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
Anyone have any experience with Forster Ultra Micrometer seater dies? I have used forsters bench rest seater dies for years. They do a good job keeping bullets concentric +/- .0005-.001". Not a big deal to change seating depth with screwdriver slot. It would be handier to use the micrometer dial for a quicker depth change. Question is: are they accurate? thanks

I personally think they are excellent seating dies but just keep in mind seating depth consistency
is affected by case neck tension variation, sloppy press linkage and even your speed in pushing the bullets into the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I just seated 50x rounds to the same depth. Stdev is 0.0007
Another 45x rounds had a stdev of 0.0005

Using the micrometer setting is easy to use to get to the desired depth.

I have both the Benchrest and Micrometer dies in the same calibers . I see no difference in the quality of round they produce . Micrometer is just a bit handier than screwdriver .

Thanks guys. I'm gonna order one today. I dont shoot bench rest. Just shoot hunting rounds from Rem 700 sporter barrels in .270/'06/.300WM. Have a Rem 40x in 22/250. 26" for whistle pigs. Makes 1 ragged hole @ 200 yrds. I like hunting rounds to shoot at least 1/2/3/4" @ 100. Have a Rem 700 CDL SS .270, 26" that shoots `150gr AB .880" @ 200. Nothing special I know but its a whitetail killer. thanks again "we the people" Rob

Reactions: Haney
Here's another way to skin the Cat. I do this with my hunting Rifle loads for 30/06, 270, 300 Mag, 260 & 223.

You can buy a Hornady seating die for $30.00 (unless you're using a Hornady die set) and then a Hornady Micrometer seating stem for $40.00. $70.00 total cost.

The Hornady seating stem is designed to be able to be used on other Hornady seating dies since the seating die has the caliber specific seating stem in it. I use only one Micrometer stem to seat 30/06, 270 & 300 mag. since they are all the same maximum COAL. I do use a different one for the 223 & 260 since they are shorter OAL cartridges. So, my cost for three seating dies and one seating stem is $130.00 for all 3, rather than paying about $110 per caliber.

All you have to do is to keep notes in each die box on the particular seating length mic setting for individual bullets. Works perfectly.

For my 308 precision loads, I use the Redding Mic seater. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Forster Mic seater.

The Forster micrometer die is a great die. They cost between $110-$120.00.

Forster will convert your existing seater to a Micrometer seater for a fee.

I have the forester ultra micrometer for .223 and 6 creed, works good. I also have hornady in 17 and 20 cal and the micrometer. Both seem to work the same to me. It would be interesting to compare the concentricity. Then again, from testing i have seen it doesn't matter that much on the target If the force I use is consistent, my seating depth is consistent. Letting the handle just about fall on its own versus firm i can change it .006+. Best consistency I found is let the handle fall just the weight of my arm basically, rotate 1\4 turn and repeat. The result seems to be within the variation of the bullets for CBTO but time consuming. The hornady just barely clears the handle in a co ax.

Last edited:
T
The Forster die is called a "the best straight-line Seater Die anywhere" on their web site. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-seater-dies/

What does "straight line" mean?

Does it require a special kind of press?

Will it work in, for example, my RCBS Rock Chucker press?
The die in that photo will most definitely work in a rock chucker. I greatly prefer a micrometer top seater like this one.

The term "straight line" I'd typically affiliate with a product like a Wilson in line seating die, which is designed to be used on a small arbor press, however Forster doesn't offer that type of die. I think they're coining the term straight line, as a marketing term. If you reload for different cases of 473 case head non rebated rim, I'd look at spending the money on a Short action customs "the seating die" I use mine on everything from 22br to 65 creed, and it'll work all the way up to 338 Federal. I have it in one the holes atop my zero turret, and it covers all the sizing dies on that turret. They had their Saum/rum/nosler "the seater" in stock last week and I missed it. That would have covered 4 of my magnum cases.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
The Forster die is called a "the best straight-line Seater Die anywhere" on their web site. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-seater-dies/

What does "straight line" mean?

Does it require a special kind of press?

Will it work in, for example, my RCBS Rock Chucker press?

straight line means that it has a sleeve inside, so it supports a whole cartridge. so you cant bend it. but usualy seating dies wont produce more or less straight ammo. this is bullshit measurement from loosers.

it requires just ordinary standard press

but forster seating die is junk. their seating plug is soft and it will bend and damaged the sleeve and after that it will scratch the bullet.
and they dont have like VLD seating plug, just custom.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
straight line means that it has a sleeve inside, so it supports a whole cartridge. so you cant bend it. but usualy seating dies wont produce more or less straight ammo. this is bullshit measurement from loosers.

it requires just ordinary standard press

but forster seating die is junk. their seating plug is soft and it will bend and damaged the sleeve and after that it will scratch the bullet.
and they dont have like VLD seating plug, just custom.

images