• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club 2020 Newsletter

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    2/11/2020

Ill post the 2020 news letter here.

Should be coming out soon.

Attachments

• 2020 FDRPC newsletter (v2).pdf
      590.4 KB · Views: 107
    Last edited:
    Reactions: regnar375
    Going to take a vacation day and shoot 900 meter Hotel range tomorrow.

Pop ups may not be working due to snow but there is steel to whack so it should be good training shooting in the snow.

Cant open it on my phone but would be intrested in shooting there on occasion. I live and work in NH and make my own schedule. Is there contact info on the pdf for shooting there?

Cant open it on my phone but would be intrested in shooting there on occasion. I live and work in NH and make my own schedule. Is there contact info on the pdf for shooting there?

Today....

Unsure if the zipfile is loading correctly but give it a try.

Yes all contact info is on the Newsletter. Feel free to tell them you herd about it via Phil McLaine

Nice. Yes, I will check it out. Thanks

We dont always get that range but the others are just as fun.

The newsletter gives dates and range scheduled for our use. Plenty of advance notice to plan to attend what interests you.

For $5.00 and signing a release form you can be a guest if you want to give that a try.

Any questions Im happy to assist.

Thanks, I'll check out the news letter on the laptop at home and let you know. I definately will checking it out.

Just opened the club letter. Pretty cool and worth the 20 bucks for even a few times a year.

Are there caliber restrictions on any of the other ranges? *I see there is a mention about the creedmore?

I will put the 14 May date in my calendar and try and make it.

Just opened the club letter. Pretty cool and worth the 20 bucks for even a few times a year.

Are there caliber restrictions on any of the other ranges? *I see there is a mention about the creedmore?

I will put the 14 May date in my calendar and try and make it.

Yes the range control nanny states the calibers.

No magnum, no .338 Labuan/50 cal.

.308, 30-06, 5.56 are fine.

There are others that are allowed I could email the club if you having anything specific in mind.

What range are they shooting in May?

I don't think I'm going to make it again until July.

Golf Range

Hotel in Summer

400 Meter AR Qual Range

None as far as I have heard.

I will send an email to have it considered.

July 9 is the next scheduled date.....the 900 meter range is on the schedule. Its worth burning a vacation day if you can do it.

As an aside weekends tend to be busy with Guard and Reserve troops all over the base likely why it hasnt been really considered.

Has there beem any talk of doing a weekend date?

Answer....

Phil,

This issue keeps coming up and the answers are the same:

We have not been able to get weekend dates since the September 11 attacks--unit training tempo increased at the same time other military firing ranges in Northeast U.S. closed down due to BRAC.

Moreover, Range Control WILL NOT allow the number of POVs necessary to hold a match inside the gate.

In addition, Ft. Devens removed virtually every CONEX as part of a nationwide Army policy. We used to have TWO side-by-side CONEXES at GOLF Range holding all our targets for 200, 300, and 600 yard stages; all our target frames and linen; all our water buckets and paste for targets; all our paste brushes; all our target pasters, spotters, spindles, and rapid-fire target scoring 'blackboard' hangers, etc., etc.

We USED to host NEHPRL matches AND the annual COLT CUP. Haven't been able to for going on 20 years...

Jim

They are putting together a news letter now.

The scheduled dates are out but the ranges to be used has not been confirmed with range control.

Reactions: TenshiWingusu
    Looking forward to seeing the 2020 newsletter. It will be nice to not have to drive for a day to get to a decent range.

First date coming up quick. Remind me tomorrow and Ill ask about which range they will have in March.

Reactions: DunkinsDad
    How do I sign up to get a copy of the newsletter?

Post #1 has last years newsletter.

I think email addresses/membership info are listed in there and that info is still valid.

Ill ask about new newsletter in the am.

I've shot off a few emails to the info listed and haven't heard anything back. Is it as simple as showing up on the date with $5?

Yes sir.

The range control is getting a new building so there is construction at the South Post gate.

You come through the gate and park on the immediate left.

Club members usually mill about out side their cars talking before all go into range control to sign in. That would be when they take your $5 and have you sign the waiver.

Ill send an email now to check if they yet have a scheduled range for March.

Response from club regards newsletter/schedule...

"Still waiting on the NEHPRL schedule.... and having some administrative issues getting the ranges booked. Hoping to have that Ironed out next week."

From FDRPC

I've finally resolved our scheduling issues and we now have the NEHRPL schedule for 2020. So I'm putting together the finalized 2020 Newsletter....

Right out of the gate we have an issue with the usual March and April dates.... EVERY RANGE is booked or conflicted on March 10th and April 14th....

So we have elected to push those dates one week later...

The NEW March and April (rifle) dates are

March 17th

April 21st

I will be sending the official Newsletter and Schedule in the very near future.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: TenshiWingusu
    2020 News letter is out.

Ill try to attach when I get to a friendlier device.

First shoot is scheduled for 3/17/20, meeting at 0745 at the South Post gate.

The range will be the 900 meter pop up Ivan range.

I've got a vacation day set to burn to attend.

2020 News letter posted in first post. Scheduled ranges and their descriptions are in the news letter.

Note the new rules for "Guests".

Whoever sponsors you has to babysit you. You are married together through the duration of the shoot. One sponsor, one guest.

Maybe not this bad....

1583112878285.png

but something similar.

They are wanting the sponsor to ensure you are not skipping rounds in nor throwing them off into the wilds of central Massachusetts.

For the low membership fee its probably best to just join.

I will sponsor a guest but you better be able to hit or at least scare what you are shooting at.

You are on Snipers Hide and the targets at Devens tend to be kind of, well, huge.

They are made for Army guys to shoot.

@Nik H came out there with his AI and I think he was bored. Beautiful facilities, a good range to get data on, but if weather is not being a bitch the challenges are very manageable.

You should have a solid 100 yard zero and at least a JBM print out based on either a drop down menu factory ammo they have loaded or from using your rifle and ammo data.

That should get you close enough that the club isnt concerned about your skills. They dont expect everyone to be Dave Tubb but if you ask one of the old time club members "What should I dial on my scope to hit at 600?" they will probably give you the Capt Pecard look.

1583113003554.png

They are good guys and they do want new members.....they just cant have an incident that dislodges them from the range.

That said....dont be scared. come out and shoot, prove yourself capable.

Reactions: Bmfrank
    2020 News letter posted in first post. Scheduled ranges and their descriptions are in the news letter.

Note the new rules for "Guests".

Whoever sponsors you has to babysit you. You are married together through the duration of the shoot. One sponsor, one guest.

Maybe not this bad....

View attachment 7262697

but something similar.

They are wanting the sponsor to ensure you are not skipping rounds in nor throwing them off into the wilds of central Massachusetts.

For the low membership fee its probably best to just join.

I will sponsor a guest but you better be able to hit or at least scare what you are shooting at.

You are on Snipers Hide and the targets at Devens tend to be kind of, well, huge.

They are made for Army guys to shoot.

@Nik H came out there with his AI and I think he was bored. Beautiful facilities, a good range to get data on, but if weather is not being a bitch the challenges are very manageable.

You should have a solid 100 yard zero and at least a JBM print out based on either a drop down menu factory ammo they have loaded or from using your rifle and ammo data.

That should get you close enough that the club isnt concerned about your skills. They dont expect everyone to be Dave Tubb but if you ask one of the old time club members "What should I dial on my scope to hit at 600?" they will probably give you the Capt Pecard look.

View attachment 7262700

They are good guys and they do want new members.....they just cant have an incident that dislodges them from the range.

That said....dont be scared. come out and shoot, prove yourself capable.

Bored?!

I had a good day...

I am looking forward to this year but I have a new job so I am trying to figure out dates.

I won't be there in March but will be there in April

Reactions: pmclaine
    Bored?!

I had a good day...

I am looking forward to this year but I have a new job so I am trying to figure out dates.

I won't be there in March but will be there in April

You shot great, made hits at 900 meters look easy.

Damn you meddling kids and your 6mm's.......

Reactions: Nik H
    Damn,

Tomorrows shoot cancelled.....

"It wouldn't be spring in New England if the weather wasn't schizophrenic. Expecting cold snow/ice/rain mix for tuesday morning.

Normally, I'd plan on powering through it, but with things the way they are right now, I don't think it's worth potentially lowering anyone's immune system. We all need to stay as healthy as possible for a while longer.

We're scheduled for the pistol date on the 24th right now. We'll see how things look at the end of this week.

Stay healthy and warm."

Damn,

Tomorrows shoot cancelled.....

"It wouldn't be spring in New England if the weather wasn't schizophrenic. Expecting cold snow/ice/rain mix for tuesday morning.

Normally, I'd plan on powering through it, but with things the way they are right now, I don't think it's worth potentially lowering anyone's immune system. We all need to stay as healthy as possible for a while longer.

We're scheduled for the pistol date on the 24th right now. We'll see how things look at the end of this week.

Stay healthy and warm."

Not even going to be a bad day really. A little rain....bunch of tough guys

Not even going to be a bad day really. A little rain....bunch of tough guys

Its the most fragile aspect of Devens.....

They are weather sensitive.

I look at weather as an important, ever present variable.

They consider weather as avoidable.

:(

Its the most fragile aspect of Devens.....

They are weather sensitive.

I look at weather as an important, ever present variable.

They consider weather as avoidable.

:(

Yesterday I was shooting 2.5 MOA 5 shot groups at 200 yards with my 6.5 and was like WTF. Day before 0.5 MOA or better with a 338 LM.

I checked everything.

Mirage was unreal...I said can't be. Pulled targets back to 100 yards and did a dot drill. 14/15 1" dots hit.

Environmental conditions rule the day

Yesterday I was shooting 2.5 MOA 5 shot groups at 200 yards with my 6.5 and was like WTF. Day before 0.5 MOA or better with a 338 LM.

I checked everything.

Mirage was unreal...I said can't be. Pulled targets back to 100 yards and did a dot drill. 14/15 1" dots hit.

Environmental conditions rule the day

Your rifle has corona virus.....give it to me and Ill nurse it back to health.

Went out to western MA to shoot on a friends farm with a .223.

Only 450 yards but on a tough backstop and some variable conditions.

Got it figured out, not satisfied, but Id say a successful day.

Pictures of my fun here...

Reactions: Nik H
    Going to be some lean times for the FDRPC......

Thanks Phil.

In case the word hasn't made it to you yet, we're going to have an... interesting... couple of years. They are closing HOTEL for redesign effective Sept 1 and it will remain closed until January, 2021. We knew that was coming, but what we got hit with at the last date is that they are closing GOLF for that duration as well. This means that the ONLY range we can use more than 5.56 on is GOLF 1... and they keep that pretty well booked. I'll be sending more detailed info on what our plans are... but the short of it is we're not going to see much long-range use for a while.....

On the bright side facilities should be fantastic when we can resume.

Will be worth it but hope they are on time. Reality is that they probably will not reopen until the spring.

I will likely be heading to sheepdog to shoot at distance in August and September

Its tough to say.

The base commander can be either hot or cold regards the club.

Fortunately the CMP has backed them pretty well when the CO tries to shut them out.

They are making some capital improvements at Devens Ranges - A new range control office, some of the smaller ranges used by Feds/Mil have been updated.

Cant understand why Golf is closing as they just redid that range within last 5 years - of course it was govt work so last time I shot there many of the motorized carriages were DOA. Usually lots to repair after either the USMC qualifies or the State Police train on any of the ranges.

Still the few times I get to shoot there a season its worth the price of admission.

Its tough to say.

The base commander can be either hot or cold regards the club.

Fortunately the CMP has backed them pretty well when the CO tries to shut them out.

They are making some capital improvements at Devens Ranges - A new range control office, some of the smaller ranges used by Feds/Mil have been updated.

Cant understand why Golf is closing as they just redid that range within last 5 years - of course it was govt work so last time I shot there many of the motorized carriages were DOA. Usually lots to repair after either the USMC qualifies or the State Police train on any of the ranges.

Still the few times I get to shoot there a season its worth the price of admission.
    The dues per year is nothing...even if I only go a couple of times. I pay $200 per year each at two other places and there is only 500 yards

The dues per year is nothing...even if I only go a couple of times. I pay $200 per year each at two other places and there is only 500 yards

I pay twice the dues as a donation and that is still less than one adult meal in a Boston restaurant.....and usually more enjoyable.

Latest on FDRPC.....

I wanted to update you all on some construction projects at Devens, and their impact on our plans for the next 18+ Months.

We knew that there were plans in motion to re-orient HOTEL range by about 20* in order to shift the Surface Danger Zone (impact area) away from 'Non-DOD land'. That construction is scheduled to begin on September 1st and will continue until at least January 2022.

What we only recently learned is that GOLF range will also be affected. Because the Impact zone of GOLF extends into the rear corner of HOTEL range, GOLF will also be closed while construction is underway on HOTEL. (Before those ‘in the know’ ask… CURRY also intersects with HOTEL, and will also be closed)

Needless to say, we will most likely not have access to either of our primary ranges until the Spring of 2022.

So, here’s the plan.

GOLF 1 (the narrow 600yd range, directly to the left of GOLF) will remain open, and this will be our preferred range going forward. However, with that being the only active long-distance range at the facility, we can expect to run into many scheduling conflicts. (Note that G1 will be the ONLY open range where anything larger than 5.56 can be used)

ECHO range is another available option. It is the 300-meter range with pop-up targets. ECHO is not ideal because it is not particularly challenging or interesting, and can get a bit boring after the novelty wears off (ECHO is 5.56 ONLY)

Another potential option is to embrace our CMP heritage and run some reduced range ‘high power’ clinics/matches. The 25-Meter pistol ranges will allow .22 rimfire, and we could run some clinics/matches using reduced targets (similar to an Appleseed if you’ve ever attended one). Teach/Learn positional shooting (Standing/Seated/Prone) and experience/practice under match conditions (time and mag change constraints). It would be a great opportunity to break out the ‘ol 10/22 and GI sling. I’d love to hear some other ideas on what we could do with a short-range and some small-bore rifles...

Bottom line is that the next 18 months are going to be challenging for us. But hopefully, we can remain flexible, and make the most of the situation.

Here is the updated schedule for the rest of this year (Oct is still TBD and might be our first .22 clinic/match)

RIFLE
    PISTOL
    March​
    Hotel​
    Alpha​
    April​
    Hotel​
    Papa-Alpha​
    May​
    Golf​
    Alpha​
    June​
    Golf​
    Alpha​
    July​
    Golf​
    Papa-Alpha​
    August​
    6*
    HOTEL​
    Papa-Alpha​
    September​
    ECHO​
    Bravo​
    October​
    TBD
    Alpha​
    November​
    GOLF-1​
    Alpha​
    December​
    ECHO​
    Alpha​
    CONFIRMED Dates and ranges​
    *Aug 6th is a THURSDAY (Last HOTEL date until 2022)
    ** ECHO Range - .223/5.56 ONLY - 300m pop-ups​

I am trying to make sure I can go on 8/6. You going @pmclaine

Im working my second OT in a row tonight and shooting at Sig on Tuesday.

I think I may have to sleep with one eye open if I force my wife to have any more alone time with the kids.

Im going to try, its the last time they will shoot Hotel for a long time.

The big range today.....

P8079532[1].JPG

I understand there are about a half dozen new members coming today?

@Nik H

It was a busy day at the club today.

Lots of new members, range control tried to change ranges on us last minute. I think everyone got their work in but it wasnt the ideal.

The 900 meter targets were not popping up....greatest distance was 680 or so....

P8079533[1].JPG

@ReachOut&TouchSomebody had his rifle on line.......good shooter. Always have my fingers crossed anyone I turn on to this club is a shooter - the Hide has not disappointed me.....

P8079534[1].JPG

Made his hits with a malfunctioning elevation turret, had his reticle holds spot on, dont think he missed anything aimed at but he was cheating with some flavor caliber starting with 6.

Good shooting with you, @pmclaine. I'd spot for you any time. I know it can be nerve-racking to vouch for someone, I'm glad I didn't disappoint.

It does feel like cheating with this rifle. I'm actually glad I had some malfunctions to make sure the gear in between my ears was performing as well as the rest of it :D

Such a shame that we lose access to that range for a while, but I'm glad I got to experience it and it only further fueled my builds and diving deeper into this discipline.

I just sent over those pics for you.

Reactions: pmclaine