• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fortrex vs. 5700ab for Kilo 3000

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    I apologize a head of time if this has been covered in past but I am looking for some up to date information on the 5700 vs the Fortrex.
    Both of these devices have been out long enough to have time to mature and I am curious which is the best fit for my Sig Kilo 3000’s.
    I don’t compete anymore and I am mostly interested in user friendliness for hunting. Any information would be much appreciated.
    Thanks?

Don't have a Fortrex, but the 5700 and 3000's always work. Nice for hunting, the elevation and wind holds show in the right lens of the 3000's so you can go straight to your rifle with your dope.

Reactions: Hondo1
    Also don't have a Foretrex but my 5700 works great with my K3000s. Should be even nicer now with the latest firmware update since you can slave all wind directions off target 1's wind, provided you set DOF for all targets 1st. For regular (even extended) hunting ranges, you'd probably be fine just using the built in AB Ultralight that comes in the K3000s though. I've yet to try it since it's really not a big deal to bring my Kestrel hunting.

Kestrel for matches, Foretrex for hunting. Just my personal preference...

That really depends on what you are looking for.

The 5700X is a great weather station. Especially when coupled with a wind vane mount. This allows it to free float in the wind, but also it can be deployed anywhere you need it as an on the go weather station with a wind meter.

The Garmin Foretrex 701 and/or Tactix Delta Solar w/ AB are smart watch/GPS devices. These allow you to wear the computer on your wrist, and have other features more in tune with navigation and being a watch.

As far as ballistic computations and engines go they both feature the Elite engine, so they will both provide you with the same accuracy in readings. They both have highly accurate temp and pressure sensors. They both also have built in compasses for the firing direction. The 3000 BDX takes care of the inclination and distance for you so no need to even think about those either.

The best thing to do is figure out which device fits the needs of your goals and go that route. As far as ballistic calculations they will be equally as precise so just look at the form factor and what you intend to do help with your decision.