• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Forum talk about Premier and S&B

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
Premier Talk?

Skimming the Net and found this, Dont know how true it all is but some of you may find it an interesting read.

I dont have much to say but I love both of my Premiers.

Re: Forum talk about Premier and S&B

Nothing too exciting there, basically the same stuff that has been here time and time again. Glass this, glass that, one is better than the other.

Premier's are nice scopes for sure, they hold their own against S&B and Hensoldt for sure. I prefer Hensoldt for a variety of reasons, but I won't say that a guy is slumming by running a Premier or S&B, all three are world class optics.

I highly doubt it, I think that guy is remembering OLD news when they were partners. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a lot of love between them anymore.

I didn’t think so but I will bet you are right, Pr was putting reticles in the S&B for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn’t think so but I will bet you are right, Pr was putting reticles in the S&B for a while. </div></div>

I think SB had licensing rights to the Premier Reticles, meaning they put them in their scopes. I dont think that PR was putting them in SB's for SB....

This is what threw me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi James the USMC S&B and the PR heritages are the same product almost these days with a different skin, they're made in the same factory with the same glass. S&B had to find a US based manufacutrer to build its USMC scopes under US defence contract guidelines for much the same reason Beretta and H&K built factories in the US.
If you need proof of this try a google search on US military contract awards for the USMC day scope there is plenty of info out there. </div></div>

I've only had one issue with the Premier 5-25 I'm using. While shooting in some extreme cold weather the elevation turret stuck and stopped tracking. I lost my zero... really weird. So I put the rifle in my truck with the heater on to warm it and the elevation knob started tracking again; but I had to re-zero my rifle. But besides the zero issue I like the scope.

I've had the opportunity to use and put a lot of rounds down range with both the SB and Premier and I would have to say I like the SB a little more. The glass is about the same ... But the SB never froze up and lost my zero..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only had one issue with the Premier 5-25 I'm using. While shooting in some extreme cold weather the elevation turret stuck and stopped tracking. I lost my zero... really weird. So I put the rifle in my truck with the heater on to warm it and the elevation knob started tracking again; but I had to re-zero my rifle. But besides the zero issue I like the scope.

I've had the opportunity to use and put a lot of rounds down range with both the SB and Premier and I would have to say I like the SB a little more. The glass is about the same ... But the SB never froze up and lost my zero..lol
</div></div>

That is strange, I have only used my 5-25 down to about 0 degrees F without any problems, Might need to get it checked out?

The engineer that designed the Premier "used" to work for S&B.

Andrea or Andy is his name and for years he worked for S&B. He left to form Optronika, which Premier contracted to design the Heritage. They also did a bit of work on the new Steiners. It's nothing to do with S&B.

No longer do Premier and S&B have any relationship, it's a separate thing and why you no longer find any Premier Reticles offered by S&B scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The engineer that designed the Premier "used" to work for S&B.

Andrea or Andy is his name and for years he worked for S&B. He left to form Optronika, which Premier contracted to design the Heritage. They also did a bit of work on the new Steiners. It's nothing to do with S&B.

No longer do Premier and S&B have any relationship, it's a separate thing and why you no longer find any Premier Reticles offered by S&B scopes. </div></div>

I did not know that, Thanks for the info <span style="font-weight: bold">Lowlight</span>

So the New Steiners might be a high caliber of optic right from the start ?.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the New Steiners might be a high caliber of optic right from the start ?.</div></div>

The new Steiners looked solid, and will be up there with all of these $2k scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the New Steiners might be a high caliber of optic right from the start ?.</div></div>

The new Steiners looked solid, and will be up there with all of these $2k scopes. </div></div>

I get real excited about all the new optic offerings. It amazes me how much optics have changed in the last 15 years.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Lowlight</span> are you going to be able to do a review test the new Steiner soon?

It was my impression that Premier was installing their reticles in S&Bs that were sold here in the U.S. - at least those for Marine sniper scope contracts? Was that not the case?

Hi Guys,
We did install reticles in S&B scopes as well as actually make them here in the states. This was back between 2004 and 2007 when Hans Bender was running S&B.
That is the reason you could get a Gen II or Gen II XR in a S&B scope.
We also serviced them as well- that was part of the contract for the USMC.
LL is correct and his name is Andreas or Andi. There are also a few other ex S&B'ers at Optonika.

Evilmonkey- if you still have a problem please get in touch with me, I have a thermal chamber here and I would like to see if I can duplicate the cold weather results.
Thanks,
Paul

Sobr, S&B would do that through their service center in NH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plange-who would service a S&B with a GenIIXR? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sobr, S&B would do that through their service center in NH. </div></div>
Yep, <span style="font-style: italic">Rob01</span> is correct. I had one of my Gen 2 XR-equipped PMII 5-25Xs' converted from CW (Clockwise) rotation to CCW (Counterclockwise) rotation in February of last year (2010) by S & B's U.S. Service Center. Total time was less than four (4) weeks door-to-door. I'm really happy that S & B has a U.S. Service Center now. For those that care to read about it check-out my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"S & B U.S. Service Center open in NH!!!"</span></span> thread.

In contrast, after Premier and S & B gave each other the proverbial "finger", S & Bs' that needed service had to be sent to S & B Germany. In 2008 I had another one of my Gen 2 XR-equipped PMII 5-25Xs' converted from CW to CCW. I sent that scope to S & B USA for service by S & B Germany in early September 2008 and didn't get it back until February of 2009.

Keith

Very cool. I recall when I had a Luepy with the GenII mildot I was always concerned. Glad to hear that won't be an issue for the S&B's.