• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forum Videos Pay off for AR User

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I read the recent AR precision thread with interest, because I got my first AR-15 this year, and I got disturbing results. It's not my first AR-platform gun. I went to Altus to learn to shoot, and because I didn't know what I was doing, I took an LR-308 and a scope with a varmint reticle. But the new gun is my first AR in .223. It's a CORE M-Lok Scout, which is a mid-range sort of gun with a 16" barrel, and I put a LaRue trigger on it, plus a Primary Arms SLX 4-14x scope.

Anyway, last time I shot it, I started out okay, and then things went crazy. It shot so badly, I thought the scope had come loose. I put it away and forgot about it.

After looking at the AR precision thread, I decided to comb through the online videos to see if there was anything that would help me. I found the gas gun stuff, and today I tried to apply it. I used Australian Outback 55-grain ammo and Fiocchi 50-grain V-Max at 104 yards, shooting prone.

I have to say that the video information really helped. I was busy getting a new Labradar to work, and I also had to re-zero the scope, so I didn't have a ton of time to shoot groups, but I did manage to shoot several. Three were sub-MOA, two were sub-MOA with one flyer, and one was a mess. I believe the last group opened up because the butt was digging a hole in my collarbone, and it was starting to bother me.

The rifle didn't jump off target after each shot, so spotting my shots was not hard. In the past, it jumped every time.

It sure looks like the videos work.

I think this gun will do better. I'm not the greatest shot on earth, and I don't have that much range time in. Wondering if anyone can recommend a buttstock that will not make my shoulder sore after 30 rounds. I don't want a precision stock. I'd like something suitable for hunting or self-defense.

I also wonder if I got the wrong trigger. The LaRue is much better than the original, but it's pretty stiff, and they don't offer softer springs. Is there something out there that will work for hunting while still being light enough to be easy to shoot for groups?

Reactions: clcustom1911
How light is too light for hunting? Giessele 2 stage triggers are all ready for combat, but break in the 3.5 lb range. But, even my sub 2 lb trigger feels stiff when I’m really focused on not yanking the last shot of a group. That trigger is on my hunting bolt gun...

Everybody will recommend the Giessele trigger but I don’t like them. For my normal ar’s I run the rock river varmint. For my precision ar’s I run the jard 1.5lb. It’s a flippin awesome trigger for the money. They are both two stage so they have a definitive stop before they break.

By chance is your LaRue trigger a single stage? If so they are a bit over 6 lbs with the light spring. If it is, you can easily sell it for more than you paid, they aren't selling them right now and for some reason there is a demand from some users for them.

The 2-stage does have a light and and heavy spring as well, the light is 2.5 first stage, 2 lb second stage. The heavy spring bumps the first stage to 4.5 pounds. I don't find the 2-stage with the light spring stiff at all, but I guess it depends what you are used to.

The LaRue RAT stocks are pretty comfortable. MagPul does offer a thicker, squishier pad for the MOE and CTR stocks.

EDIT:
Solution for your existing stock:

Last edited:
The LaRue 2 stage triggers are great...the single stage sucks. I tried a reduced power spring in the single stage and it dropped the weight a lot, but made the creep that more noticeable. I gave it to my brother...

Thanks for the help. I have an MBT-2S. I guess I'm spoiled because I've been lightening triggers on other guns, and I put a Timney in my RPR. When I was using the LaRue today, I kept finding myself wondering why it wasn't going off.

I didn't know there was a limbsaver for this type of butt. I guess I could adjust the stock to make up for the added length.

Last edited:
I looked at the LaRue stock. It doesn't look like it would work well with a rear bag. It's sloped all the way to the back.

I read the recent AR precision thread with interest, because I got my first AR-15 this year, and I got disturbing results. It's not my first AR-platform gun. I went to Altus to learn to shoot, and because I didn't know what I was doing, I took an LR-308 and a scope with a varmint reticle. But the new gun is my first AR in .223. It's a CORE M-Lok Scout, which is a mid-range sort of gun with a 16" barrel, and I put a LaRue trigger on it, plus a Primary Arms SLX 4-14x scope.

Anyway, last time I shot it, I started out okay, and then things went crazy. It shot so badly, I thought the scope had come loose. I put it away and forgot about it.

After looking at the AR precision thread, I decided to comb through the online videos to see if there was anything that would help me. I found the gas gun stuff, and today I tried to apply it. I used Australian Outback 55-grain ammo and Fiocchi 50-grain V-Max at 104 yards, shooting prone.

I have to say that the video information really helped. I was busy getting a new Labradar to work, and I also had to re-zero the scope, so I didn't have a ton of time to shoot groups, but I did manage to shoot several. Three were sub-MOA, two were sub-MOA with one flyer, and one was a mess. I believe the last group opened up because the butt was digging a hole in my collarbone, and it was starting to bother me.

The rifle didn't jump off target after each shot, so spotting my shots was not hard. In the past, it jumped every time.

It sure looks like the videos work.

I think this gun will do better. I'm not the greatest shot on earth, and I don't have that much range time in. Wondering if anyone can recommend a buttstock that will not make my shoulder sore after 30 rounds. I don't want a precision stock. I'd like something suitable for hunting or self-defense.

I also wonder if I got the wrong trigger. The LaRue is much better than the original, but it's pretty stiff, and they don't offer softer springs. Is there something out there that will work for hunting while still being light enough to be easy to shoot for groups?

.....here ya go! ...I put one of these on my .308 AR and it made a world of difference when in the prone. I'm fairly slim (except for the 'one pack abs', LOL), and I feel the recoil of just about every caliber, extended sessions get a little tender after a bit.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ad...rformance-Adjustable-MILSPE-p/at-02012-nr.htm

Reactions: Buck Wilde
Maybe I should blow $30 on that before getting fancy.

...you won't be "blowing" any money on it, the stock is well built, durable and very functional. Remember, function over bling-bling matters more when it comes to firearms... ;-) and being comfortable using the firearm is even more important, it set the proper mindset to use the firearm effectively..

The current stock is only identified as "standard military style," so nearly anything would be a step up in status.

im just going to be honest. You probably will not get consistent hits out of that barrel. keep the trigger that you already have in it and invest in a better barrel.

im just going to be honest. You probably will not get consistent hits out of that barrel. keep the trigger that you already have in it and invest in a better barrel.

A few more shots should tell me.

I went out and shot 40 rounds today. The Adaptive Tactical EX Performance Adjustable MILSPEC stock worked great. I didn't feel any pain at all, and it's easy to hang onto for recoil management.

I think this gun is pretty good. Including all flyers except for one caused by me turning a turret the wrong way, my average 5-shot group was 1.5", measured, from center to center. It's very windy today, and the wind is varying all over the place. The bullet I used is supposed to have a 100-yard wind drift of about an inch in a 10-mph crosswind, the weather people are giving a figure of 13 mph right now, I made technique errors, I was fiddling with a new stock, and I still did okay. If a dubious gas-gun shooter can do this well, the gun can't be too bad.

The training videos really seem to help.

The trigger is fine. I am the problem. I found that when I got caught up in what I was doing, I was pulling the trigger with the tip of my finger, making the pull seem harder.

On the cheap: buy a pair of dollar store black flip flops and glue one to the cheap buttstock with contact cement. Trim to size with a sharp knife. Boom, .223 recoil is handled.

Its awesome with a little instruction that you saw results. Way cool.

I'm just glad a mid-tier gun with non-match factory ammo will shoot this well. Hope it's not a fluke. If I can reduce my flyers and get down around 1" pretty consistently, I don't know if I'll want to bother with any more upgrades.

Reactions: hereinaz
I have improved also. The threads here gave a lot of motivation to do better and I used the motivation by focusing more.

I now use the meat after the first joint from the knuckles. Gives much more leverage to work the trigger slowly. I use the MR223 stock trigger, it is quite stiff.

I also noticed today that I tend to slightly tense my shoulders when aiming gets hard (mirage from suppressor) and it will send the round 0.5" to 1" low.

I also noted that if I feel any pressure / pain in the shoulder, my shoulders are too tilted and not straight enough. (Support hand shoulder needs to move backward)

Was a pretty good day, 0.9moa with Sako ammo (10 shots group, 0.7moa 5 shot groups) and 0.65moa with Lapua ammo discounting 2 pulled shots that made my group 1.3moa, while working out my shoulder problem.

The Sako Racehead ammo is good compared to some other factory offerings here.
69gr going 2723fps at 26F from a 16"

Last edited:
Today I took the gun out again. Got ~1.27 MOA for 20 shots. Actually, it was 19 shots. I damaged one bullet and shot it anyway just to see what would happen, and it turned out to be a flyer. Didn't count that one. I also had one 5-shot group that was 0.55" plus a flyer, but I couldn't blame the bullet.

I'm thinking maybe I should focus on this gun and shoot it a couple of times every week instead of shooting different guns all the time. The RPR will do .75 MOA over and over and over and over, but I don't learn anything from it. I'm thinking that if I learn to shoot the AR-15 well, other guns will be a piece of cake.

This ammo is apparently not too bad, and I have enough to get me through a few months.

Reactions: Near miss