• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

forward assist

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Guys, when and by who was the forward assist on the M16 implemented? I think it was in the 70's by Colt but not sure. One of our "local expert" said it was a Canadian invention, but I called BS. thanks

Re: forward assist

I believe the USMC adopted the M16A2 after some issues with the A1. Assuming that is true, I'll go with colt, or possibly the old school armalite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Summary

The XM16E1 is seen here fitted with an AN/PVS-2 night vision scope.
ArmaLite sold its rights to the AR-15 to Colt in 1959.[14] The AR-15 was first adopted in 1962 by the United States Air Force, ultimately receiving the designation M16. The U.S. Army began to field the XM16E1 en masse in 1965 with most of them going to the Republic of Vietnam, and the newly organized and experimental Airmobile Divisions, the 1st Air Cavalry Division in particular. The U.S. Marine Corps in South Vietnam also experimented with the M16 rifle in combat during this period. The XM16E1 was standardized as the M16A1 in 1967. This version remained the primary infantry rifle of U.S. forces in South Vietnam until the end of the war in 1975, and remained with all U.S. military ground forces after it had replaced the M14 service rifle in 1970 in CONUS, Europe (Germany), and South Korea; when it was supplemented by the M16A2. During the early 1980s a roughly standardized load for this ammunition was adopted throughout NATO</div></div>

Your Google fu must be weak....

One of the changes the US Army insisted on was the forward assist when they adopted it, that was the main change between the "M16" and the "M16A1"

The USMC created the M16A2 because the M16A1 is a poor target shooting weapon and they shot matches at the time that required the use of rack grade weapons. So they made a target rifle for everyone and got the Army to buy into it. Then everyone had a great match rifle.