• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms FOUND MY DREAM RIFLE

ollie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Apollo Pa
I'm thinking of getting a 375h&h. Does anyone have 1 that doesn't cost my firstborn? Found

Last edited:
I am getting ready to list a couple of Model 70's on Gunbroker. One is a pre-64 made around 1953,all original with the box(a beat-up box, but still the original). The second is a CRF Classic Stainless synthetic model made around 1999-2000.
I still have to take pictures, but let me know if you are interested and I'll post the gunbroker links to them.

I'm thinking of getting a 375h&h. Does anyone have 1 that doesn't cost my firstborn?
What price point are you looking for?
Know a guy locally who has a 375 H&H for sale, will get info from him and pass on to you.

Reactions: ollie
I am getting ready to list a couple of Model 70's on Gunbroker. One is a pre-64 made around 1953,all original with the box(a beat-up box, but still the original). The second is a CRF Classic Stainless synthetic model made around 1999-2000.
I still have to take pictures, but let me know if you are interested and I'll post the gunbroker links to them.
Please do send the posts to me.

33AD4521-ABF1-49F4-9646-E60E57FC26CE.png

Not actual rifle, those pictures haven’t arrived yet.
Looks just like this rifle.

Will post actual pictures of rifle & glass as soon as I receive..

Reactions: DIBBS
That sako with leupold is damn good deal. I’m partial to the 375 and somehow seem to collect interarms whitworths. True mauser action and they feed like greased sausages. Usually can find one between 600-1000$ depending on where and who’s selling it. What do you plan on hunting with it?

Reactions: stompbox
That sako with leupold is damn good deal. I’m partial to the 375 and somehow seem to collect interarms whitworths. True mauser action and they feed like greased sausages. Usually can find one between 600-1000$ depending on where and who’s selling it. What do you plan on hunting with it?
He's right. I have owned several Whitworths and they are a lot of value for the price. Great Guns.

Phil,
I have a prepared presentation on Mauser Vs Mod 70 I share with a few friends that includes taking both actions down and comparing feature by feature. I will invite you to the next one. I could even do it as an online picture thread on SH. Long to short is there is no comparison. The Mauser was made without regard to cost, the 70, though a great rifle was made to sell at a slight profit. Both are great but Mauser be mo bettea .. :)

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
Phil,
I have a prepared presentation on Mauser Vs Mod 70 I share with a few friends that includes taking both actions down and comparing feature by feature. I will invite you to the next one. I could even do it as an online picture thread on SH. Long to short is there is no comparison. The Mauser was made without regard to cost, the 70, though a great rifle was made to sell at a slight profit. Both are great but Mauser be mo bettea .. :)

Only thing about the Mauser that drives me bat shit is that clunky bolt release - they couldnt have figured something more elegant?

Bombproof sure but whats this hinged pinned block of steel?

The Winchester is stripped of features or minimized.

I prefer to think of Model 70s as Springfield 03s manufactured to make a profit. Uncle Sam never concerns himself with value for our tax money. He built a sweet rifle in the Springfield '03 but with his bottomless pit of tax money he decided to meet the whim of every General that had a whim.

Regardless of maker, that era....20s, 30s, up to 1941....the Golden Age of beautiful custom rifles for sure.

When men were manly men and rifles were not only tools but expressions of pride.

Last edited:
I could do a list of differences here but don't have pictures.
Mauser has striker safety inside bolt that will not let firing pin drop until bolt is fully closed.
Mauser fully supports case head rather than coned breach with unsupported case.
Mauser has internal ring to help control escaping gas.
Mauser has bolt shroud which protects shooter from escaping gas in the event of primer or case gas escape. Blow a case head on a 70 and you get a face full of gas. I have had that happen.
Mauser action came in at least 22 configurations for every cartridge type and length.
Mauser magazine box is milled and hand fitted to the action. Winchester is stamped.
Mauser bolt has large gas escape vents that direct wayward gas down and out.
Mauser extractor and extractor collar is milled and WILL NOT jump over case rim. Either case comes out of chamber or head of case in some way fails. Winchester extractor is very cheap milled and collar is stamped. It can and will jump over rim and leave case in chamber. I have had it happen many times.
Winchester trigger is good. Mauser is several times as bullet proof and excellent.
Mauser came with many options including but not limited to Square ring, Square bridge and double square bridge. Solid and interrupted left wall. Standard safety, Greener safety and detent slide button safety or any combination of the three.
Mauser was cataloged in both left and right handed models in the 1920's!
Mauser can be field stripped and repaired a bit more easily.
A Oberndorf Mauser action in the 1930's cost more that a complete Winchester rifle. 120.00 vs 69.95
Mauser has long heavy cocking piece that insures fewer misfires with old ammo and poor priming.
Mauser has notch on cocking piece that allows a case to be utilized to re cock the striker if the rifle fails to fire.
Other that the above, the actions are practically similar. :)
The downside is that the only time a war was won by a country fielding a Mauser action was when both parties utilized it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
My first .375 that I traveled the world with was the first 375H&H Winchester ever made. SN 353. It was engraved by Rudolph Kornbrath from end to end and stocked LC Thomas of Shreveport LA. One of the great pre war custom rifles and was pictured in many books. Unfortuanlty it was lost in Africa due to corrupt game department officials. I had shot many of the worlds great game animals with it and missed it greatly.
It was replaced by a Magnum Mauser and I have never looked back. Will try to find photos.

Chaps my ass the lack of appreciation for old school quality........