• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics found optic, not looking anymore

kjeff91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have about $900 for a NF scope and mount/rings. If I have to forego the mount/rings thats fine but would love to finally own a NF optic. I know it's a long shot, but you never know.

Thanks!

Edit: Prefer the 3-10x but willing to take the 4-14x

Last edited:
$900 will easily get you a like new SHV. I use a 3-10 on my “go to” hunting rig.
solid choice!
Good luck
PS- Provide what power range you prefer...

Reactions: kjeff91
Be looking at the SHV line.
I have 3 NXS and 1 SHV. There is definitely nothing wrong with the SHV. In fact, I like that the entire ocular doesn't turn when you apply zoom.

I ALWAYS avoid made in China whenever I can. I advise you to avoid made in China, pay attention to that.

Last edited:
I'll NEVER knock NF. In fact, I live only about 40 miles from Orofino...so...NF and ZCO are "local" companies.
However, both are HEAVY. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind packing around a 2.5 lb scope. The rifles I have the NXS scopes on are not light anyway. The SHV weighs less but it's on one of my heaviest rifles. NXS has maybe better glass but it's real hard to say without some deliberate testing.
There are lighter options that are as affordable. Depends on your application.
I have a Zeiss on an ultralight rifle. IIRC the entire rifle is under 6 lbs. Great to carry, REAL hard to shoot. Fantastic glass.
I have 4 rifles with Swarovski scopes. 2 of those are pretty heavy but, again, on pretty heavy rifles. The other 2 are lighter weight and on lighter weight hunter type rifles. FANTASTIC glass.
I will say that my aging eyes really like that high end glass you get when you buy those top tier scopes but there really isn't anything special about NF that you don't get with some of the other brands and, as I pointed out with the entire ocular/zoom thing, some drawbacks.
I ALWAYS avoid made in China whenever I can. I advise you to avoid made in China, pay attention to that.

It's going on an 18" SPR/DMR type AR15 that'll go out to 500-600 yards. Any recommendations?

Dont
It's going on an 18" SPR/DMR type AR15 that'll go out to 500-600 yards. Any recommendations?
Don’t listen to everybody or you’ll never learn anything lol. I bought an nxs 2.5-10 last year for 925 be perfect for what you’re wanting don’t get in a hurry and just really hunt and bargain save a little money during that time if you can m eventually you’ll find one it may be non zero stop my brother gave 1000 for a 5.5-22 non zero stop they’re out there don’t settle.

I'll NEVER knock NF. In fact, I live only about 40 miles from Orofino...so...NF and ZCO are "local" companies.
However, both are HEAVY. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind packing around a 2.5 lb scope. The rifles I have the NXS scopes on are not light anyway. The SHV weighs less but it's on one of my heaviest rifles. NXS has maybe better glass but it's real hard to say without some deliberate testing.
There are lighter options that are as affordable. Depends on your application.
I have a Zeiss on an ultralight rifle. IIRC the entire rifle is under 6 lbs. Great to carry, REAL hard to shoot. Fantastic glass.
I have 4 rifles with Swarovski scopes. 2 of those are pretty heavy but, again, on pretty heavy rifles. The other 2 are lighter weight and on lighter weight hunter type rifles. FANTASTIC glass.
I will say that my aging eyes really like that high end glass you get when you buy those top tier scopes but there really isn't anything special about NF that you don't get with some of the other brands and, as I pointed out with the entire ocular/zoom thing, some drawbacks.

Well that was dumb.

He literally mentioned he would consider a 2/3-10. The shv 3-10 weighs 1.5lbs and the 2.5-10x24/32 are much closer to 1.1lbs. So you’re wrong there again on how the shv weighs less. Quit spewing bullshit.

Reactions: Aftermath
Well that was dumb.

He literally mentioned he would consider a 2/3-10. The shv 3-10 weighs 1.5lbs and the 2.5-10x24/32 are much closer to 1.1lbs. So you’re wrong there again on how the shv weighs less. Quit spewing bullshit.
What does the NXS (that I was referring to being heavy) weigh? 32 oz. The SHV I have is 30.5 oz.
YEP!!! THE SHV IS LIGHTER!!
You are a complete dumbass.
The Swaro x5i I have is 32 oz. whereas the z5i is 15.9 oz.
Stick it up your ass.

Last edited:
I have a SHV 4-14 MIL-R F-1 with barret zero gap rings on my precision 6.5 grendel AR. I’d sell the scope and rings for 1000 shipped in the box or 900 plus shipping for just the scope of your interested

👆 This right here. I have the SHV 4x14 F1. Out of the 3 SHVs I have and several PST Gen IIs the 4x14 F1 is my Fave. Its on a Seekins SP10 in 6.5.

Hayden.

I guess the OP doesn’t really want a Nightforce for 900.. I’ll post my SHV on the PX if anyone is interested

I’d go with SHV 3-10x42, but make sure you get an “older” (pre 2019) version with adjustable parallax. The newer models have illuminated reticles but have parallax fixed at 100 yards. Blech!

otherwise a 4-14x50 SHV would be a good choice but a bit heavier and much larger.

You need the "Atomic Night Hero" binoculars!!!