• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Found parts of gun in dirt!

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
Thought you guys might like this. Found these pieces (correction, wife found all of these pieces and I didn't help at all) while clearing a spot for a pool.

I had just tilled up the area lightly to get rid of the weeds and to help level it out a little. While putting the forms up and leveling the area with a rake she found these three pieces.

I'm guessing they go to a toy of some kind. The trigger area looks pretty weak and just has nails to hold it to the stock which is far gone. I haven't cleaned it up yet so these are as it was taken out of the ground.

The pics were taken on giant graph paper with 1" square grid but since it didn't show well I added the ruler.

P1060425.JPG

P1060430.JPG

P1060429.JPG

Re: Found parts of gun in dirt!

send it in to GAP and see what they can do with it! Bet it hits a dime at 1000.

smile.gif

Nice find, looks like an early model adjustable two stage trigger

There is a great museum in Cody, WY called the "Dug Gun Museum" which is full of relics and battlefield dug guns.

Ex soldier and his wife run it. Free, but donations accepted.

Great place if you ever get to Cody.

Cheers,

Sirhr

gme, you are spot on with that call. I can't think of anything else it would be!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it could be what's left of an old Parris Mfg toy drill rifle
http://user.pa.net/~the.macs/PMTOYb.html</div></div>

Well done sir! I'm going to clean it up a little and see if more detail shows up.

Well, that brings back some memories. I had one as a kid.

IIRC, there was a gold-painted, wood "cartridge" in the bolt head that would appear to be "chambered" as the bolt was closed. My rifle was continually losing the screw that kept the bolt in the receiver.

It looks like you have the receiver as well as the bolt and the trigger. Interesting find.

AHHHH The ol Parris-Dunn... One of my first rifles as a kid! That is an awesome find and brings back great memories. I live in a very tourist attraction of an area (Lake George, NY Area) and there are shops here still selling them!

Wow! I had know idea.

Well, I've cleaned it and hope to have some more pics this afternoon. I can't see much more in detail other than there appears to be a spring loaded grey or silver cartridge in the action part. I can press it in a good ways and it springs back each time now. The bolt could probably be removed from the action with a little PB blaster but I think I'm going to leave it as is for now.

Funny (and painful) side story. When we bought this house several years ago. There were a lot of Honeysuckles growing all over the place. In one of them we noticed a green plastic helmet. Couldn't tell much about it but it was suspended in the dang bush. I checked it out several times before finally reaching in to grab it. Although I had checked the helmet a few times to make sure nothing was living in it, I failed to noticed the huge wasp nest suspended above the helmet. So while grabbing the helmet, I bumped the nest and released all Hell! I got five stings in each hand before it was over. My hands looked like boxing gloves for about 4 days. The helmet was a plastic olive drab military style for a kid. Didn't think much of it and now I don't know what we did with the helmet. Between this gun and the helmet, sounds like I had a little soldier in the back yard.

Hope he is doing well and made the best with his life.

I don't think the pool will be in place before the weekend so if time permits I'll dig around a little more and see what else we can find.

Thanks guys!
Mike