• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Found Vortex Razor 5-20 on sale, is that gonna be the best scope out there for that price?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
I think SWFA is doing a sale on the Vortex Razor 5-20 scopes for $1300 or $1400. My question is for that price am I going to be able to find a better scope? The other scopes I have been looking at are the Bushnell DMR, SWFA 5-20, and Burris XTR II. But from what I understand the Vortex scope is in a category above the scopes? Is that true? I am trying to talk myself into ordering one of these Vortex scopes.... Should I at that price? How well is it going to hold it's value compared to the others mentioned? Thanks

EDIT: Looks like I missed the sale but I still see them pop up here every now and then for that price. Still worth it compared to the others?

Ben

Last edited:
At that price point, I don't think anything can currently touch it.

That's about 35% cheaper than I bought mine for about 2 years ago. That's a great price. No, you won't do any better.

I would get a beater scope for $299 and wait for the Steiner, then sell the beater scope.

If you dont find any, Ill most likely be selling 2 of them around Jan to cover some new things I have coming.

Best feature filled scope you will find at that price. I doubt very highly you will be disappointed with it.

Mile High has the EBR3 for 1300, at that price point you are not going to get a better scope for the money. You won't even come close without spending a few hundred bucks more, minimum.

I had been eyeballing these ever since they came out but never pulled the trigger because 2k for a scope is alot for me. I had been closer and clsoer to buying one recently as I ahd the cash. I emailed a few places around to see what the discounted price would be and I ALMOST did it but that little voice inside my head told me to wait. I went to a shoot and I had the chance to look through a couple different razors and I liked it. A week later I see the news about the discounted price and it was a no brainer. Mine should be here tomorrow, now it's not the tree or the 25 MOA per revolution like I wanted but it will do for the price. Maybe I can send it in and see if they can upgrade it....

Best feature filled scope you will find at that price. I doubt very highly you will be disappointed with it.

I have to agree. I received mine today and have to say that my first impression it is as good if not better than my Nightforce scopes. I can't wait to get some rings and try it out.

Looking at these deals too as I'll be needing glass soon. I have a seemingly dumb question... But these are 36 mrad of total travel; I assume 18 up and 18 down? So some on the EuroOptic sight have a 5 & 10 mrad turrets... Does this mean that one turns 3+ times total and the other is just under two revolutions? They are all .1 clicks right?

Looking at these deals too as I'll be needing glass soon. I have a seemingly dumb question... But these are 36 mrad of total travel; I assume 18 up and 18 down? So some on the EuroOptic sight have a 5 & 10 mrad turrets... Does this mean that one turns 3+ times total and the other is just under two revolutions? They are all .1 clicks right?

Yes 18 up and 18 down from center but if mounted on a base with any MOA built into the taper then it will be different.

The 5 mil knobs are 5 mils per revolution and the 10 are 10 mils per revolution in .1 mil clicks. how many revolutions will depend on base mounted on and where the scope ends up when zeroed.

Yeah I was hoping you guys wouldn't talk me into it... I really want one.. Wonder how much I could get for a few black market organs... In all seriousness though, if funds become available I will be ordering one!

Ben

The cheapest i've seen them for is $1299.00 @ Mile High for a new in box. But I suspect that you could pick up a used one on here for even less in the coming month or so. It's a huge bargain for that scope at $1299.00 even more so for a used one with Vortex's warranty program.

Yeah i got a 5 mil model from Liberty at s great price. Word is vortex is discontinuing some of the gen 1s so get em while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen new Bushnell XRS's in the 1400-1500 range... I love mine but I have nothing negative to say about the vortex based off what little I've shot them. So i'm sure either would be a good choice depending on which one has the features that fit your needs.

Yeah I was hoping you guys wouldn't talk me into it... I really want one.. Wonder how much I could get for a few black market organs... In all seriousness though, if funds become available I will be ordering one!

Ben

I am in same boat, bought a lot of gun stuff in 1yr probably 15-16k with the purchase of the vortex scope but at 1300$ cant pass it up. I jumped on it like a fat kid on candy. But now I have 3 complete custom builds and a dpms Ar10 G2. 35mm tube is big, makes the nxs look small side by side. as far as performance of the vortex I haven't had it out yet but it looks good out in backyard. Also my first FFP scope, I bought the vortex rings impressed with those too not to bad at 140~ from midway. Best of all is the Vortex warranty, nobody else matches that.

Last edited:
I used to be able to get them for less than that.
Only the really thing I miss from working at a retail store that sells Vortex scopes.

The only problem was that I wasn't ever paid enough there to afford it...

.,buthttp://www.sniperforums.com/forum/optics/36049-field-test-ss-5-20-hd-vs-vortex-razor-hd-5-20-a.html . I thought this was very helpful .

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought 2 of them. One had the Christmas tree (EBR-2b) with standard (5 mils per rev) turrets. Other is more of a standard mil-hash reticle (EBR-3) with high speed (10 mils per rev) turrets. Seth at EuroOptic was awesome to work with. Will be doing business with them again.

Are these being discontinued, hence the "buyout" discount? Just wondering if the next gen is worth waiting for, or if the price here should not be passed up.

Are these being discontinued, hence the "buyout" discount? Just wondering if the next gen is worth waiting for, or if the price here should not be passed up.
They 1st generations are being closed out. They are excellent scopes, but the Gen 2 scopes are reportedly noticeably better. $1349 for a Gen 1 is an awesome deal. The Gen 2's are $2499...

Some of the Gen 1s are being discontinued and only two models remain in production. One being the Mil tree type reticle with 10 mils per revolution and the other being the equivalent in MOA with 25 MOA per revolution. Mine came in today and the glass is so much better than my 6-24 PST. Damn good scope and a great buy for the money.

How would the bushnell ers 3.5-21 stack up to the razor. Any reason to check it out if it was slightly cheaper than the razor? Thanks

How would the bushnell ers 3.5-21 stack up to the razor. Any reason to check it out if it was slightly cheaper than the razor? Thanks

I currently have both .
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 ERS and razor hd 10mil ebr2
The razor has slightly better glass not very notice able . The G2 reticle in the bushn3l is thinner which I prefer for precision work

I currently have both .
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 ERS and razor hd 10mil ebr2
The razor has slightly better glass not very notice able . The G2 reticle in the bushn3l is thinner which I prefer for precision work

Not to hijack, but how are the eyeboxes at high mag? If you could have one which would it be?

Not to hijack, but how are the eyeboxes at high mag? If you could have one which would it be?

There both forgiving . I would say equal . No issues using the Ers at 21X . I need to sell one of them and I cant work out which one to keep ! I love the bushnell because of the small size great turrets to . But then I love the Razor

I appreciate your responses other than the above posted review and a few other reviews the vortex seems to have the better glass. Its a hard decision being they are within $200 of each other

I appreciate your responses other than the above posted review and a few other reviews the vortex seems to have the better glass. Its a hard decision being they are within $200 of each other
Is illumination important to you ?
Does size matter ?

There the only things Against I can think of .
The g2dmr reticle is very nice to !

Illumination is nice but not a deal breaker. A more compact scope would be nice but again on a 10lb+ rifle really doesnt go either way. The g2 is really nice and about perfect for me. The ebr2b is also nice although a little thicker. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for posting these links. I've always enjoyed my Vortex spotting scope, so got an EBR-3 10 mrad version on the way. Eurooptic is always a pleasure too.