• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foundation Centurion and Balance

LukeWilliam

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2021
Australia
Hi team,

Calling all foundation shooters.

I have just ordered a Foundation Centurion (standard weight) and am reaching out to get an idea of what road to go down to get the balance just right.

This is my first stock. Currently running an MPA Matrix and an MDT ACC which give me the luxury of moving weights around to get the balance point to where I like it which is about 5" in front of the mag well.

I currently have 2 barrels that can be chambered for the new rig (Bartlein heavy varmint 26" and a 1.250 straight in 25")

Just looking for an idea of what combos balance well on a barricade and trying not to exceed 22lb total weight.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your time all.

You can buy some weights that go inside the forend to help balance. I run heavy varmint with the forend weights and it is slightly front heavy but that is how I like it.

I am currently running a 26" MTU contour and would like a little more weight up front. Your HV will probably work. You might need some weights. The straight 1.250 will be fine. I have a 28" HV to try when current barrel is finished.

Reactions: LukeWilliam
My foundation tends to be rear heavy with a 26” Med Palma and heathen 5 ports brake but balances perfectly with a 26 heavy varmint

Last edited:
Will also depend on what optic and mount combo.

My centurion (standard fill) is as follows.

28” HV 6dasher. Omega suppressor
John wells lead weight slugs only filled from front to about first 2/3. Leaving out the last 8 holes.
Gen 3 razor and Hawkins 1 piece mount.

Rifle weighs right at 22lbs. With optics around the 40-45oz range and larger mounts mine was a touch rear biased. After adding the lead weighs it was enough to bias it a hair front which I prefer.

I work with my rifle til I get to the perfect feel for me. The rifle should pretty much drive itself if that makes sense.

I actually use the barbell on my bench with bag changer as the setup jig. Lol.

Attachments

• D2BED0EB-1C57-4C4F-A934-DC6E76449F86.jpeg
    D2BED0EB-1C57-4C4F-A934-DC6E76449F86.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 374

John wells lead weight slugs only filled from front to about first 2/3. Leaving out the last 8 holes.

Rifle weighs right at 22lbs. With optics around the 40-45oz range and larger mounts mine was a touch rear biased. After adding the lead weighs it was enough to bias it a hair front which I prefer.

I work with my rifle til I get to the perfect feel for me. The rifle should pretty much drive itself if that makes sense.

Does the Razor tends the bias the weight to the rear a little ?

This gen 3 is 45 oz gen 2 was 47 oz if memory serves me correct on both numbers. NF is 39.x Tangent is like 40.5 oz ETC. I was just meaning each persons setup will vary slightly. Also each persons preference of balance. I'm running a 1 piece mount prob about 5oz-6oz? Idk for sure. But these things in mind, changing weight slightly based on each persons specs.

I also have my second Centurion which will be here next week. I went with the lighter cut which hollows out some of the rear under the check riser etc. I messed with a loaner for a couple of weeks in the light cut and it seemed to naturally balance better than my standard did out of the box with my particular barreled action setup.

My thoughts is that micarta is a fairly dense material to start and with a large portion of it being in the rear may lend it to being more rear heavy etc. My stock got delayed due to the snow and so according to UPS the light version should be here Monday. And I can try and give more feed back then.

Again I am no professional just my personal experience thus far!

Totally agree, good balance is one of the keys to spotting impacts / misses in competition. How far in front of mag well is your balance point?

How far in front of the mag well is your balance point?

And thanks for chiming In
With my heavy truck axle barrel (I think it’s a Krieger heavy varmint ) with a heavier brake like a heathen 5 ports and a “lighter” scope like a Bushnell HDMR2 or Athlon Cronus it’s about 3” in front of the magwell. I’m getting a new Razor Gen 2 this week and depending on the balance it might end up on my ARC Nuke rifle since it’s less rear heavy but I’d rather have it on my Foundation if I can keep a neutral balance. I don’t think the heavier Vortex scope will change the balance that much since it’s so close to center of gravity but I’ll see

Totally agree, good balance is one of the keys to spotting impacts / misses in competition. How far in front of mag well is your balance point?
I usually don’t measure lol But since you ask I did. It’s about 3 1/4” in front of the mag well.

This is where I play with/setup most of my rifles for comps.

Attachments

• FAD31481-93B2-421A-993E-DC00F83615BB.jpeg
    FAD31481-93B2-421A-993E-DC00F83615BB.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 245
Anyone ever had a sikes cluth rail installed on their Foundation stock ?
I tried it on mine but never fell in love with it.

I cut grip tape and put on the top angle of my Centurion for when I drive from the fore end. Most of the time I drive from the top of the scope. With hand out towards the scope cap.

However on things like cattle gate and tighter ports that I can’t do that I will drive from the front and pinch it on the fore end. The wide ends on these stocks just feel comfortable to me that way when needed.

I tried it on mine but never fell in love with it.

I cut grip tape and put on the top angle of my Centurion for when I drive from the fore end. Most of the time I drive from the top of the scope. With hand out towards the scope cap.

However on things like cattle gate and tighter ports that I can’t do that I will drive from the front and pinch it on the fore end. The wide ends on these stocks just feel comfortable to me that way when needed.
I usually drive from the top of the scope as well but I set up my 12.5” coyote blaster with a clutch sikes knob with a mlok QD and works great to stabilize the shorter fore end of my MPA chassis and since I don’t run a full length arca on my Foundation (I think it defeats the purpose of the wide forend) Im not using my area419 gamer plate with thumb rest. That being said ... that particular rifle is so stable on tripod/barricade that it doesn’t really matter.

Does the Razor tends the bias the weight to the rear a little ?
The Gen 2 Razor with a 4002 is 3.6~ LB. Its close to the center of gravity but it will still move the balance back

Reactions: st1650
Do you know how your smith installed it ? Do you simply mill a slot and epoxy the rail in place ?
I used it in the flush cup slot on the centurion.

I also have a Manners TCS with the full clutch rail system.

Gray Sloan at Swift Creek Rifles has been doing various accessories inlets on different stocks. Contact him and see what he thinks.

I run a 26” a team contour barrel and my centurion balances right in front of the mag well also. I’ll try and take a pic directly for you

Attachments

• 4D2A11A1-CA84-4C4F-AB87-9FEE0BBE2E8E.jpeg
    4D2A11A1-CA84-4C4F-AB87-9FEE0BBE2E8E.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 395
Do you know how your smith installed it ? Do you simply mill a slot and epoxy the rail in place ?
I had John Kyle mill in extra flush cups on my first stock. So it has 4 flush cups on the one side of the forearm. Then the 2nd stock I had him install just 1 in the exact place I run mine at. I sent him the measurements. Etc. if you want to install one to a stock that’s already had the honey combs drilled out in the forearm, be aware of the thickness in the stock where the cut outs are.

I run straight contour barrels and the rifle balances perfectly. Comes in at 22lbs with my TT on top.

Reactions: st1650