• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FOV comparisons

Jmeier1981

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2022
Iowa
I'm not a mathematician so it's really hard for me to compare different scopes FOV without being able to handle them first hand since most seem to have slightly different mag ranges...

Hoping some of you could help and reply with your scope models and list off how many MIL or MOA you can see on each side of center or total at different magnification
Like 15x, 20x, 25x, 30x

Bonus points if it's a Razor Gens 3 or XTR PRO.

I've already got a cronus but I'll post those numbers for anyone else that might be interested when I get home tonight

Mils per side
G3 @ 15: ~14, 20: 10.5, 25: 8.4, 30: 7
XTR3 USA @ 15: 13.9, 20: 10.1, 25: 7.9, 30: 6.8

and...

Last edited:
Be nice if more scope manufacturers would list the apparent FOV (in degrees) in their specs, as then you could easily compare the apparent FOV of multiple scopes even when you're comparing scopes with different magnification ranges.

A wider apparent FOV in degrees means you'll have a larger field of view than another scope with a narrower apparent FOV when both are viewed at the same magnification level.

For example, say you have a 3-18 scope with a 21 degree apparent FOV, and a 6-30 scope with a 24 degree apparent FOV... While the 3-18 scope will have a larger absolute field of view at 3x compared to the 6-30 at 6x simply because of the base magnification difference, if both scopes are set to the same magnification level the 6-30 will actually have a wider field of view than the 3-18 because it has a 3 degree wider apparent field of view-- so you'll see more at 18x in the 6-30 than you will through the 3-18x at 18x.

This thread discusses how to calculate FOV to be able to compare scopes across different mag ranges.