• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fps .308

Aauletto

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2013
Newtown PA
So I went out today and tried my new chronograph with my cci primer 42 gr varget lapua brass and smk 168 and 10 shot avg was around 2450 FPS is that ok ? At 200 yards I was getting 1in groups seemed good but I want to make sure I'm good out to 600 yards + what's your thoughts ??

So I went out today and tried my new chronograph with my cci primer 42 gr varget lapua brass and smk 168 and 10 shot avg was around 2450 FPS is that ok ? At 200 yards I was getting 1in groups seemed good but I want to make sure I'm good out to 600 yards + what's your thoughts ??
OK for what?
1" at 200 yards is .48 MOA.
What do you mean by 'good' out to 600 yards? Supersonic? Yes.

Don't plan on going much farther than 600 though. If you don't have pressure why not work up the powder charge? 42grns is the listed minimum. 46grns is the listed max. Work up slow and safe. To to the 168 to 1000 and not have it start tumbling I would want to be near 2650+. You can go to JBM Ballistics and check for yourself by putting in your numbers. It's free and it works.

+1 on working up I am getting 2730 with 175SMK out of a 22" krieger @ 2250 elev.

While it isn't perfect, Fed GMM 168 runs about 2650. That's about as slow as you want to go for my money.

20" heavy 1/12 twist

Thanks for all the feedback everyone I will try and work my load up a bit and see what happens what is a good increment to do so . 42.1-42.2 and up like that?

I would run a ladder test in .5g increments up to or slightly over 46g stop if you see sings of pressure (or .3g if it makes you feel better) at 300y. I always like finding the first signs of pressure than backing off of that and finding my highest node to get the best of velocity and accuracy.

Ok will do thanks how many rounds would you do at increments one for each ?

fire one round of each increment at one target. You may want to do 2-3 to make sure you get repeatable results.

Watch this video, Jon's videos are awesome

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_hS91Z7e0WE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Work you way up safely, but you should be able to get around 2600fps. I'm getting over 2750fps from a 22" without pressure signs.

With that load you are going to be about 18-19 moa at 600yds. you can do better and get that bullet down out of the clouds with a little "ladder" work on your loads. I suspect you may be able to come out with between 16 an 15 moa with a little work.