• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FPS Issues Tikka t3x

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
I know the tikkas have lower FPS then most, but this seems a bit much.

I had a 24in t3x in 6.5cm and bought an ultra 9 TBAC can, the thing was a musket, so I had a gunsmith take off 4in of the barrel (he said he did more like 4 1/4). The thing is still an absolute tac driver at distance, but my FPS is abysmal. I'm getting 2510 fps with 147ELDX with the can on. On a nice sunny day i'm hitting transonic at 900 yards. I'm not expecting this to be a 1-mile gun, but 1100 yards would be nice.

I'm thinking of re barreling but I want to keep the accuracy the tikka barrels produce.

Also, I didn't chrono before trimming the barrel. So, I'm not sure how much that 4in hurt me exactly.

Options? Opinions?

Sounds about right for Tikka barrels. I'd take it out to the range and true it up for a better idea. Without running the numbers, 1,100 yards should be very achievable still. I'd hazard the guess you'll still have good accuracy at 1,100.

Reactions: trob
Sounds about right for Tikka barrels. I'd take it out to the range and true it up for a better idea. Without running the numbers, 1,100 yards should be very achievable still. I'd hazard the guess you'll still have good accuracy at 1,100.

I don't have a 1k to test out on currently, closed the only range near me with that distance, I will have a 1.2k range mid next year when I move. I was always under the impression you didn't get almost any range after transonic, you thinking you can squeeze 1 or 200 hundred yards out of it after? If that's the case I'm worrying about nothing!

I don't have a 1k to test out on currently, closed the only range near me with that distance, I will have a 1.2k range mid next year when I move. I was always under the impression you didn't get almost any range after transonic, you thinking you can squeeze 1 or 200 hundred yards out of it after? If that's the case I'm worrying about nothing!
You'll definitely get to 1,100 yards easily. Transonic will have an effect on accuracy, sometimes it has minimal effect, other times more. I've shot a 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed to a mile with good success in the past. I'd full send and not worry about it if I were you.

I had a 24in t3x in 6.5cm and bought an ultra 9 TBAC can, the thing was a musket, so I had a gunsmith take off 4in of the barrel (he said he did more like 4 1/4). The thing is still an absolute tac driver at distance, but my FPS is abysmal. I'm getting 2510 fps with 147ELDX with the can on. On a nice sunny day i'm hitting transonic at 900 yards. I'm not expecting this to be a 1-mile gun, but 1100 yards would be nice.

I'm thinking of re barreling but I want to keep the accuracy the tikka barrels produce.

Also, I didn't chrono before trimming the barrel. So, I'm not sure how much that 4in hurt me exactly.

Options? Opinions?
To put this in perspective for everyone....

Ammunition test barrels for a standard and in this case 6.5CM the test barrel length is 24" finish. If you look at the Hornady website they list a velocity for the 6.5CM with a 147gr bullet just under 2700fps.

An average rule of thumb and the caliber/chamber spec has an effect on what you can see swing wise but a for a good rule of thumb is a +/- 25fps loss/gain per inch of barrel length. So if you cut off 4"....you coughed up basically a 100fps. right off the bat.

Now factor in you don't know the exact chamber spec. and or bore and groove size your barrel is. That will have an effect on pressures and velocities as well.

The ammunition test barrels both accuracy and velocity/pressure barrels are made to min spec. tolerances both on bore and groove size and chamber spec. in the vast majority of cases. We do get special request for a different bore size or different groove size and changes to chamber spec. for a given caliber.

We run min spec. tolerances on bore and groove on a barrel you buy from us unless the customer specifically has a request for a different bore or groove size that we can accommodate.

I won't speak for every gun manufacturer but they can run min spec. tolerances and production spec. tolerances. I've seen production barrels as tight as .002" undersize and +.002" oversize. Same on chambers...I've seen production chambers depending on what your looking at .002" over min spec.

So what the actual bore and groove size of your barrel is and even factor in what the chamber spec. it was cut too.....will have an effect on velocities.

Even on custom barrels...it cracks me up when someone says...oh brand X is faster than brand L. 99.999% of the time they don't know the bore and groove size to the 4th decimal place and what reamer was run into each barrel. When you don't know the exact spec's of each barrel...your not comparing apples and apples.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You would get to 900 yards at sea level with a 20” .308 shooting FGMM 175gr at 2500fps. Your 147gr eldm even at the same 2500fps will easily get you to 1100 yards.

My factory 20” Tikka barrel was 2550 fps with factory hornady 140gr bthp and 140gr eldm. Tikka barrels are slower for sure unless you load at a long COAL and fill the case with powder. I gained nothing worth noting when I pulled the barrel. I should have saved the money.

I dont think thats slow at all unless you're using snipers hide 147 speeds. Hornady data says 2650 fps for a max load across their range of tested powders in 24” barrel. Thats my experience as well(and franks above). Most importantly, they have a super high BC. In my neck of the woods, 2510 fps equals ~1600 fps at 1100 yds. This is why you bought a 6.5.

Reactions: Frank Green
My T3 Varmint SS barrel let the 123gr Scenar out of the 24" barrel with VV N160 44,6GR about 2975 fps.
N150 38,6gr same pill goes 2847.
Krieger SS 21" 6,5CM goes same amount and same pill 2876.
CTR 20" CM Factory 260rem was in the new condition with that pill and powder about 2706, now after 6000 rounds it has drop to 2650ish.
It still shoot 0,3 MOA at 5 rounds with 139gr Scenar and N160.
Got that on video :)

Options? Opinions?

For comparison, my factory t3x 20” CTR with eld 143‘s averages 2604 fps. So, you don’t sound too far off with a 19 3/4” shooting 147’s.

even though they weren’t offering a 24” yet when I bought this one, I told myself I won’t buy another 20“ factory tikka if they offer a 24” In the same rifle. I want to squeeze every fps out of the factory barrel.