• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Frangible 5.56????

1943m1garand

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Virginia, USA
In preparation for shoot-house training, I purchased modest supply of frangible 5.56. I understand how the ammunition works in principle, metallic powder is compressed at extremely high pressures to form the bullet, and when the bullet hits a target it fragments. I have been told that, for example, a 2x4 will not cause the bullet to fragment. I was wondering what experiences people have have with frangible bullets and what will cause them to fragment/dust/vaporize as opposed to retaining their integrity. Dry wall? Sheet metal? Windshields? People?
wink.gif
Thanks for any information you can provide.
smile.gif

Re: Frangible 5.56????

My uncle tested some. A shot through a normal 2x4 in the "2" direction will start to bring the bullet apart, in the "4" direction it will make a small entry hole and a tennisball shaped exit hole.

Dry wall doesn't do much on the first two sheets, after that it really starts to make a mess.

I don't know how it will go through auto glass or anything like that, he only tested it on Home Depot materials.