• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frangible loads at longer ranges.

Sirshredalot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2019
Hello hide.

Ive got my rifle zero set at 100 yards with a 50gr(45gr?) Aac frangible bullet over 22.3gr of tac(i believe..im at work).

I chronod this load about 2 years ago but out of a 16" barrel(load developed for a cqb class)...so i dont know if theyre coming apart....iirc was 2900fps range.

These are fairly accurate at 100 yards... moa ish... but at 300yds i cannot get onto a 12" plate....first time through this bolt gun.

Rifle is an hs bedded r700, 20" 1:9. That shoots everything well from 45gr up to 77gr.

Anyone had trouble with frangibles at distance?
I know theyre not a slippery shape, but these results are discouraging.

Look at the length of your frangible projectile. Even though it might only weigh 45 grains, it's probably the length/profile of a 77gr bullet.
The ones we used to make were a flat nosed copy of the 77 MK.
They needed a much faster twist than 1/9.

Possibly being under stabilized could also explain why they aren't shooting well at 300.

Or, it just could be that shooting small groups at 300 is a hell of a lot tougher than 100yds.

Next to a 69gr hpbt with cannelure.

The 700 likes the 69gr as does the carbine but the carbine is a 1:7.
At 100 the frangible pokes nice clean holes on cardboard with no signs of keyholing.
Might just want a faster twist, thanks
20230620_160935.jpg

Next to a 69gr hpbt with cannelure.

The 700 likes the 69gr as does the carbine but the carbine is a 1:7.
At 100 the frangible pokes nice clean holes on cardboard with no signs of keyholing.
Might just want a faster twist, thanks
View attachment 8166625
Pretty sure @Mike Casselton was referring to the “bearing surface” in regards to length, not OAL of the projectile. If you look closely, they are almost identical from the OGIVE to the base, with one being significantly lighter.

Reactions: Mike Casselton