• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frank Brake

Schu

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
I have been working on a muzzle brake type device to attach to the end of a suppressor to optimize the various types of recoil reduction devices currently delivered on suppressors. The brake is named after Isaac Frank who helped me dream up the idea (sorry HMFIC). Below are pictures of the first prototype design threaded for Silencerco Bravo thread pattern suppressors. It is a self timing three port design. Prototypes were manufactured and are out to some fellow shooters to gain some feedback. Production plans would then be discussed following that feedback, any design iterations, review of thread patterns for other OEM suppressors, and interest from the community. I welcome the feedback of the Hide.

Admins - if this violates the rules of this forum please let me know. I will gladly delete the post.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_021832264.jpg
    PXL_20210805_021832264.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 602
  • PXL_20210805_030250662.jpg
    PXL_20210805_030250662.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 597
I have been working on a muzzle brake type device to attach to the end of a suppressor to optimize the various types of recoil reduction devices currently delivered on suppressors. The brake is named after Isaac Frank who helped me dream up the idea (sorry HMFIC). Below are pictures of the first prototype design threaded for Silencerco Bravo thread pattern suppressors. It is a self timing three port design. Prototypes were manufactured and are out to some fellow shooters to gain some feedback. Production plans would then be discussed following that feedback, any design iterations, review of thread patterns for other OEM suppressors, and interest from the community. I welcome the feedback of the Hide.

Admins - if this violates the rules of this forum please let me know. I will gladly delete the post.
Will it increase back pressure and carbon accumulation, do you think?

Initially, back pressure doesn’t seem to be an issue. I’ve ran on AR’s and bolt guns and noticed no adverse pressure. In fact, pressure seems to be slightly less on the AR just by feel of the BCG cycling and subsequent case ejection but I have nothing imperical to prove that. The brake should be no more restrictive than a standard end cap. Carbon ring is to be determined. We don’t have enough time behind it yet to know for sure.
Will it increase back pressure and carbon accumulation, do you think?

Very cool! I don’t have anything this would work with, but love stuff like this! Good luck with your endeavor!

What sort of weight does it add? I’m assuming it’s stainless. I’m curious what sort of abuse this takes. Would aluminum be a reasonable option for someone that wanted the benefits for a hunting setup without extra weight?

Very cool! I don’t have anything this would work with, but love stuff like this! Good luck with your endeavor!

What sort of weight does it add? I’m assuming it’s stainless. I’m curious what sort of abuse this takes. Would aluminum be a reasonable option for someone that wanted the benefits for a hunting setup without extra weight?
Thanks! It weighs about 8 ounces now. It isn't anything noticable and it did now change my POI on any rifle so far. There is some weight to be shed for sure . These first ones are over engineered for sure. My engineer background got the best of me.

It's actually aluminum. Long term plan would be to hard coat anodize. I shot one in a match this weekend in the raw form and had no signs of wear (99 rounds). The can itself takes the majority of the abuse. I'm relatively positive the silencerco anchor brake is aluminum as well. I've put those through their paces for sure with no adverse effects. I'm confident aluminum will hold up fine in this application with the right surface coating.

Reactions: godofthunder
How well does it work? Does it increase noise at the shooter enough to negate the point of using a silencer? I.E. ear pro mandatory.

I think your design looks pretty sweet. I’d be interested.

How well does it work? Does it increase noise at the shooter enough to negate the point of using a silencer? I.E. ear pro mandatory.

I think your design looks pretty sweet. I’d be interested.
Thanks! Take my opinion on how it works with a grain of salt (design bias). I am anxiously awaiting feedback from my beta testers.

My first experience is this on a 15 pound 6 dasher running Sierra 107s at 2920 (32.4 grains of varget) with a silencerco omega:

Felt recoil is reduced over a can with the silencerco anchor brake. Quantifying it is difficult but I could feel a difference. I am working on a way to measure and compare the recoil change.

Muzzle rise was the biggest change I noticed. Shooting standing off a skills barricade, my typical muzzle rise at 400 yards with an anchor brake is ~2.5 mils. While shooting with the Frank Brake my muzzle rise was reduced to ~1.5mils. This is all measured off the reticle. I noticed similar results in other positions.

Sound change to the ear seems slightly increased but still hearing safe. I felt no discomfort or need to add ear pro. Other shooters at the match this past weekend corroborated that opinion.

Reactions: chase723
how would i get ahold of one of these to try? i run a silencerco hybrid and this looks great for my 6 arc gasser

looks good if the data shows improvement then i would order one and wait for a Omega

Prototype update:

I have been personally shooting the brake for a few matches and continue to find it to be an improvement over the standard anchor brake. Three units are out for testing with other shooters in various regions of the US. They will be shooting them over the next month or so and will be providing feedback. Once I have their feedback I will share it with everyone here, regardless of it being positive or negative. I have asked those shooting them in the prototype phase to personally apply feedback to this thread to avoid any concern of collusion.

Huge fan of this idea. Any plans for surefire sps300? I'd be in

Hey any updates? Picked up my omega 300 and would really like one of these.
Thanks

Sorry for the delayed responses. I have not taken these to production yet. My challenge is the cost to manufacture them. I fear they will be too expensive to be truly marketable with the capabilities I have access to. I would currently have to charge $225 which leaves me about 3% margin. If there were enough interest (i.e. - 50 or more requests) I could get the price down a little but I currently do not have that much interest. If you guys have interest let me know through this post. If I can get a solid number of commits to purchase I will make a run. I have also revised the design to permit greater flow.
Frank Brake Gen II.png

I’d be interested in one for a Rugged Surge but I’m guessing they won’t be available any time soon as it would require more T&E time.

Even if these don’t come to market or production I would like to try one of these, even if I must pay for you to make one. I’ll even buy whatever silencers you tell me it’ll work best with.

I’ve got bolt actions in many calibers, machine guns, sbrs, etc… Well over 30 cans, so this would definitely be fun to experiment with.

Lmk if you making me one is an option!

Update:

Current plan is to make an initial production run of 20 units of the Gen II design referenced in my last post. The plan is to start production in July with units ready in August. They will be compatible with any suppressor that can use the Bravo threaded Silencerco anchor brake. I will keep everyone updated as the process progresses. I am working on building a library of other suppressors to build a thread library. I currently have a dead air nomad I am working on a thread match for. Others will come in time as I have funds to bring more suppressors in. I am an SOT so getting cans is somewhat easier but still expensive. Anyone who has the ability to accurately measure the threads on one of their current cans feel free to shoot me dimensions with major diameter and pitch. It will help in building the thread library. I can look into opportunities to venture into other suppressor brands as the demand presents itself.

I was talking with a buddy about coming up with something like this. Glad to see someone actually did it! Nice job man!!!

Update:

Current plan is to make an initial production run of 20 units of the Gen II design referenced in my last post. The plan is to start production in July with units ready in August. They will be compatible with any suppressor that can use the Bravo threaded Silencerco anchor brake. I will keep everyone updated as the process progresses. I am working on building a library of other suppressors to build a thread library. I currently have a dead air nomad I am working on a thread match for. Others will come in time as I have funds to bring more suppressors in. I am an SOT so getting cans is somewhat easier but still expensive. Anyone who has the ability to accurately measure the threads on one of their current cans feel free to shoot me dimensions with major diameter and pitch. It will help in building the thread library. I can look into opportunities to venture into other suppressor brands as the demand presents itself.
Are you still moving forward with this project? I’ve reached out to see if I can get the end of one of my AAC cans threaded to accept your break. Thx.

Reactions: GeoDude and Nivium