• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Franken-Pod Question.

Just Chuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2018
    Colorado
    I’m putting together a tripod for 22lr and center fire use, using the Area419 Arca lock rail on both

What Ive got is an old Manfrotto tripod that the head is shot. So I’ve gotten it down to a base plate and a 3/8-16 stud.

0387C96D-2921-4621-B7D4-7F656914DC44.jpeg

What I’m thinking of adding is a RRS BH30 lever ball head. Should screw right on, unless I’ve missed something. My question is this the way to go?

I am not familiar with this at all, so I’m counting on your advice. Thanks in advance. I don’t want to go the full CF $1400 versions out there.
    1624576824245.jpeg

1624576824245.jpeg

It will work fine BUT you will want to prevent the RRS from rotating on the column-stud platform.

I have transitioned to a dedicated RRS Series 3 with Anvil-30 but did not want to orphan a good tripod so,
    I just did this with an extra Anvil-30 on a carbon fiber Swarovski tripod. Some variant of a thru bolt or stop shoulder bolt to engage the Anvil mount.

Aluma-Black finished the ball mill mortise created for the shoulder bolt; also, you could just drill & tap a hole to prevent the rotation.

IMG_8603RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
    IMG_8605RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
    IMG_8607RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
    IMG_8608RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
    IMG_8616RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled Aluminum Black Applied 03.20.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_8618 copy.jpg
    IMG_8622Walther PDP 2nd Range Seesion Variety Ammo RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2  03.20.21 copy 2.jpg

I’m putting together a tripod for 22lr and center fire use, using the Area419 Arca lock rail on both

What Ive got is an old Manfrotto tripod that the head is shot. So I’ve gotten it down to a base plate and a 3/8-16 stud.

View attachment 7654363
    What I’m thinking of adding is a RRS BH30 lever ball head. Should screw right on, unless I’ve missed something. My question is this the way to go?

I am not familiar with this at all, so I’m counting on your advice. Thanks in advance. I don’t want to go the full CF $1400 versions out there.View attachment 7654365

View attachment 7654365
    Hello,

The BH-30 has a standardized 3/8"-16 thread adapter to screw onto your tripod. I generally advise against using our products with third parties because we can't guarantee seamless integration or superior performance. But, you can add some Loctite to the tripod thread to help prevent any slipping or unscrewing when using the ball head. If you have any further questions, shoot me a message.

Reactions: Just Chuck
    Hello,

The BH-30 has a standardized 3/8"-16 thread adapter to screw onto your tripod. I generally advise against using our products with third parties because we can't guarantee seamless integration or superior performance. But, you can add some Loctite to the tripod thread to help prevent any slipping or unscrewing when using the ball head. If you have any further questions, shoot me a message.
    Thanks for the response. I got an Anvil 30 based Hides users frequent reference to the Anvil. I've had it on a whole three days and really like it - shot with it once (22LR rimfire). It screwed on to the 3/8"-16 stud just fine and I've hand tightened enough to stay put with rimfire - centrefire may be more of an issue. - we'll see. That blue LocTite may be needed.

I've got the legs marked for my positions, and going through this THREAD.

No question my 'ol Manfrotto steel tripod isn't optimum, but it's got me going and later on, an upgrade tripod would be easy with the Anvil.

It will work fine BUT you will want to prevent the RRS from rotating on the column-stud platform.

I have transitioned to a dedicated RRS Series 3 with Anvil-30 but did not want to orphan a good tripod so,
    I just did this with an extra Anvil-30 on a carbon fiber Swarovski tripod. Some variant of a thru bolt or stop shoulder bolt to engage the Anvil mount.

Aluma-Black finished the ball mill mortise created for the shoulder bolt; also, you could just drill & tap a hole to prevent the rotation.

View attachment 7654398View attachment 7654399View attachment 7654400View attachment 7654401View attachment 7654402View attachment 7654403View attachment 7654404
    I like what you did to lock it in place. I don't have machining capabilities (good job BTW) so may need to come up with another option. Blue LocTite comes to mind.

^^ Well before I tried to get clever with the mill, I just tightened the ball head on the center column plate of a Swarovski then drilled and tapped it, to accommodate a simple shoulder bolt that was easy to turn by hand and secured with a carbon fiber fishing line "lanyard" so it was always present for use. Rotation problem solved. A few photos of that situation.

DSCN3090 copy.JPG
    DSCN3093 copy.JPG
    DSCN3095 copy.JPG
    DSCN3096 copy.JPG
    DSCN3101 copy.JPG
    DSCN3103 copy.JPG