• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frankenturd Lives..........(Homemade Stock Build)

Scimitar

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2005
Pine Hall,North Carolina
Had a babydoll. She was Sweeet.
ODUSOptics2.jpg

Things got a little tight. Sold US Optics and AICS. Kept action but had barrel shortened. I needed a stock without
coming off of some cash so I got some plywood and tightbond II.

PlywoodStock009.jpg

Made a pretty close rendition of a A5 or Manners T4 with a slightly smaller forearm.

PlywoodStock001.jpg

Wrapped it with the first layer of 18 oz fiberglass cloth. I'd advise against using it again. Too hard to work with. Then sanded and used 9 oz cloth with dye in the resin.
Sanded and put on another layer where needed. Installed
pillars and bedded.

PlywoodStockwfiberglass.jpg

Duracoated with a dooky smear pattern. Scope is a Horus loaner from a friend till I get ahead.

Frankenturd.jpg

Re: Frankenturd Lives..........(Homemade Stock Build)

Impressive!! Always love to see peoples work who have way more skills than I do.

Stock came out at 2.9 lbs with flush cups installed on left side.
Including 1/4 lb of Devcon.
smile.gif

That is really cool man. Always impressed with peoples ingenuity. May end up doing that with a Mauser or 2. How do you like the Horus? Looking at getting a raptor after my move to Atlanta.

Excellent Job!!! I bet the stock is actually stronger the way you made it than most factory stocks.

I love the reticle. The scope leaves something to be desired...
like a company with decent CS. 1 yr warranty. After that, if it
breaks you are screwed.

I don't have any illusions about running over it with a pickup
like a Manners (great stock by the way) but I know its stronger
than a HS precision. Think I need to sponge a little more OD green
on it. I don't really have time for it to cure so I'm going to beat
it around at ASC and touch it up when I get home.

Thats very nice work.

I actually am building a wood stock A5 clone right now. Wont be done for a couple months as I dont have much time to work on it.

I hope it comes out as nice as yours... I'm not much of a carpenter

damn dude, looks good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a babydoll. She was Sweeet.
ODUSOptics2.jpg

Things got a little tight. Sold US Optics and AICS. Kept action but had barrel shortened. I needed a stock without
coming off of some cash so I got some plywood and tightbond II.

PlywoodStock009.jpg

Made a pretty close rendition of a A5 or Manners T4 with a slightly smaller forearm.

PlywoodStock001.jpg

Wrapped it with the first layer of 18 oz fiberglass cloth. I'd advise against using it again. Too hard to work with. Then sanded and used 9 oz cloth with dye in the resin.
Sanded and put on another layer where needed. Installed
pillars and bedded.

PlywoodStockwfiberglass.jpg

Duracoated with a dooky smear pattern. Scope is a Horus loaner from a friend till I get ahead.

Frankenturd.jpg

Man that is sweet.Now make a ai for my savage and i will pay you.....lol

</div></div>

This is just my opinion.....And take it as such.

That think turned out F$&*ING NICE! Job well done bro!

What gets me is he carved that stock out with a pocket knife...
smile.gif

Just kiddin ...One heck of a great job you did sir....JW

make some stocks! That should replenish you arsenal...There are guys that have a lot of wants (mauser owners) who would love some alternative stock choices...

You got skills brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very impressive!!!!</div></div>

+1

That really is nice. Hope things turn around for you soon. In the meantime, maybe you've found a hobby to help things along with! Great work.

I don't think I'd be referring to it as a turd,hell of a lot nicer than some of the factory stocks on the market.

Hell,I'd buy one,rather give my money to someone like you than HS Precision!!!

did you have a manners or A5 around to pattern from, or did you "eye ball" the final shape? either way, nice work man. depending on how much time you invested in making it, you could make some dough selling some of those. better looking (and probably stronger) than a lot of the available laminates out there. i certainly wouldn't have any qualms about showing that off at the range if i had made it.

I had both here to pattern after. Of course they were not mine,
if so I never would have built it. The first one did have lots of time.

Hell of an impressive job - I'd love to be able to do something like that just to have a unique heirloom in the family.

My friend has a piece of equipment that was used by a furniture
company to make things like table legs, etc. He makes copies with
it. I just had him rough out a copy which gets it to about 75-80
percent and do the rest with hasps, files, rotary sanders, flat
sander and a dremel tool. The inletting was hogged out overly
large so I could make a thick bedding section with Devcon. I also
used two nails through the wood behind the front pillar as extra
recoil pins. They were of course bedded over and around on the
inside and fiberglassed over on the outside. Just extra insurance.
I have shot it before paint and it is solid.

Very Nice

Scimitar,

That is excellent work. Any chance you could provide some measurements, as in a measured drawing?

What type and thickness of plywood did you use? Which Titebond product?

I ask because I want to try this too. I'm thinking a kickass uerethane glue like Gorilla or PL might be stronger but outside grade Titebond is a great glue.

I have a little experience in stock and grip making. I used a piece of Mahogany to make a replacement stock for my old Crossman BB gun, which had a broken plastic stock. Now I have to make one just like it for my Nephew's Crossman M-1 carbine BB gun!

A band saw, a drill press and a good collection of router bits were my friend on these first attempts.

Now that's Yankee ingenuity...how's she shoot? If it shoots well, I know of a lot of folks who'd pay $$$ for a stock like that that'd take a Savage MKIV .22LR trainer.

Me for one.

I used 3/4 inch birch plywood, Laminated 4 sheets together
and put it on the duplicator. Don't have any drawings. I used Titebond II. It penetrates into the wood very well and is what I use when I glue up tabletops. The exterior is completely wrapped
in fiberglass and resin so that glue will never see weather.

Shoots like she did in my AICS. I did have the availability of having a friends stock here to measure so that made it quite a bit easier.

There is still a large crowd out there that prefers wooden stocks.

Looks simple but nothing is ever easy.

You could make a small fortune doing custom jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that's Yankee ingenuity...how's she shoot? If it shoots well, I know of a lot of folks who'd pay $$$ for a stock like that that'd take a Savage MKIV .22LR trainer.

Me for one.

</div></div>

What he said +1 for me! One of your stocks on a trainer =SWEET!

Make some up for CZ 452's (smaller action area and depth) and you will have a few folks probably throwing some dough your way (unfortunately not me, but you could gift me one for the idea-until my work picks up!).

Got it settled in and found a good new load today. Stock proved stable and allowed me to print a few nice groups. Finally got
everything ready for a match.

1st shot I actually pulled and called it. Shot 4 more.
Shot 2nd group before getting up. Good enough. I don't have to through it away
smile.gif

170lOCKBASEGROUPS001.jpg

170lOCKBASEGROUPS002.jpg

Should you decide to do another, I will take one for a SA remington 700. I have a .223 sitting in a crap Hogue stock. Saving my pennies for another AI, but I wouldnt mind having a Scimitar B5 stock
wink.gif

Think about it, I can not fatham the work involved...but I can paint and bed it. Think about it.

I can not imagine being laminated and fiber glassed that there would be any flex at all in that baby.

HA HA!!! They called you a YANKEE!!!!!

smile.gif

is there anyway i could get some ruff measurements? Ill do the final contours but need the measurements to get me started.

I'll check it out and send them to you.

I think I'm going to call this the B4.

I started it "before" I knew how long it was going to take.

I wonder who reloaded the ammo that made your rifle shoot that good. Hope you are kicking high lately with both legs. Glad you found something to do with all your free time....... Stock looks good and I like the blended splotchy camo.. Your buddy
BTW calling you a yankee is like saying the pope is jewish.

Since several asked, I thought about maybe building a prototype
stock for a Savage heavy barrel since they are popular and I seem to have one here. I am going to see how much time it takes and then see if its feasible to make enough to buy me a decent
scope. What is the most sought after style for a trainer?
A5/T4 or A2, A3 etc. I thought about doing something a little different like an A4 rear with an A5 or A3 front.