• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frankford Arsenal M-Press + Hornady Custom Seating die + Micrometer - PROBLEM

georgelza

Private
Minuteman
Hi Hi all...

New setup,

Ok, will be happy if someone says it's the user...

I take the handle down, bring case up all the way. Now turn die down all the way, 1/2 turn back. That now positions the main seating die, Now if you got the Micrometer added to the seating die... surprise. it's to long... the Press arm can't go over the top of the micrometer, thus now allowing the case to go down all the way, and as such you can't remove the case as the case "grips" at the bottom have not released...

For now I had to remove the Micrometer, to get that height back.

G

so my searching all missed this... fckd...
I got a "OLD" Lee Challenger. thinking I might have to fit that some where and make that the permenant seating press, just irritating. Like the look of it.
I know there is another coaxial press, can't recall the name now, will go look, you know if this is problem with that one also.
Otherwise I'd just get myself a good Hornady single stage and flock this one.

G

I beleive the other press you are referring to is the Forster co-ax press. I don't have one so I can't answer your question.

Reactions: georgelza
It’s a coax.
With my 300bo fitting under the handle loop with an add on micrometer isn’t an issue, it’s that the die has to be so high up in the press it only has one thread of engagement and I still have to stop the handle travel halfway down where I can start to feel the crimp engage. Hornady uses universal seaters so what works great for most suffers at the extremes in a coax.

Question - on the Forster, the jaws are opened by a pointed pin that forces the jaws apart. I'm thinking the M Press works the same since they copied everything else it seems - is that right?
If that is indeed how the M Press works, you may be able to just make a longer pin. I know folks have them for the Forster for handgun loads. Keeps you from running the full stroke for a short little case. It would allow you to not have to go all the way up with the handle / down with the shell plate and still have the shell holder release. In your case you could stay just short of the micrometer. If you make a new pin out of a piece of threaded rod (grind one end to a point) then you can also put a coupe nuts on and at use them as a lower "stop" against the bottom of the shell plate. It'll keep the plate from going past a certain point which will also stop the yoke before it hits the micrometer.

Last edited: