• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Frankford Intellidropper - Quick review

va_connoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
BLUF: I believe this is a worthy addition to anyone’s loading bench.

I picked up a Frankford Intellidrop over the weekend. I have been using a Hornady GS-1500 and Lee Precision beam scale for the past 18 months and loaded a ton of .308 and 6.5 Grendel rounds. I decided to step up my scale as the GS-1500 started giving up the ghost last week and drifting consistently.

Went with the new shiny, the Frankford Intellidrop. The instructions provided information on how to setup and calibrate the system. However, there is zero mention of how to dump the hopper when the session is complete. I’ve never owned a powder drop system so I don’t know if this is a common but it aggravates me when instruction manuals are incomplete.

I set out to do my competition load, 44.0 gr of Varget. I had 144 cases that needed charging. Using the beam and another GS-1500 (seller warrantied it for me), I measured 144 charges for the .308. Out of the charges dispensed, there were 4 overcharges. I randomly checked 15 charges. All where spot on at 44.0 grs.

The good: Threw charges quickly. Consistent.
The bad: Poor instructions (no instructions for how to remove powder from the hopper).
The ugly: Be sure to run a “last charge” after dumping the hopper. I ran 14.7 gr of Varget out of the hopper after I dumped it and not powder was visible.

I cannot compare it to the Hornady or RCBS but so far so good.

Reactions: Kent46
How is the drift with this one? I saw a YouTube video and the guy complained about a constant drift. I’ve been thinking of adding one to my bench. Also what was your warm up time before you started throwing powder?

I only experienced drift once, maybe twice. I left it warm up for over 30 minutes (had to go fire up the smoker), dropped approximately 55 charges, had to check the smoker again, machine set for 10-15 minutes, went right back and keep going.

On a side note, the app works better than I expected. Very intuitive and easy to use.

Reactions: Wulf
Well you twisted my arm guess I’m gonna be adding this to my bench pretty soon.

I picked one of these up this week. I haven't experienced any drift and no issue with it returning to zero. I saw that video with all the drift and almost cancelled my order. I guess the load cell is bad on the one in the video.

Reactions: Wulf
i have some calibration weights coming tomorrow. Ill throw a short video up of the calibration weights and running a few powders. Im new here so should i start a new thread or just post to this one?

May as well keep it flowing here. Since my initial review I’ve run about 200 more drops. I’ve had Zero issues with drift or overcharging.

can someone explain "drift" to me? I'm a new loader (80 total rounds in only) and I'm sick of verifying each load 4 times using my Hornady scale.

Thanks Spife! Before reading the article I did read my Hornady scale's users manual and they do have a warm up time which I will randomly weigh items with known weights for over a minute before I start weight powder. After reading the article who has 3 hours to allow "warm up" time?

Thanks Spife! Before reading the article I did read my Hornady scale's users manual and they do have a warm up time which I will randomly weigh items with known weights for over a minute before I start weight powder. After reading the article who has 3 hours to allow "warm up" time?
For old cheap scales (that was written in 2007 mind you) its a necessity. For the new stuff its less of an issue but still warranted to a certain extent.
I know my a&d fx120i seems to stabilize well after half an hour. Before that and you can tell that it doesnt read the same as once its warmed up. Sure its only .02-.04 grains difference but its still observable.

I am seriously interested in this but watching a few videos has me very concerned about drift problems. He is constantly having to re-zero in this one:

Does the instructions say anything about a "warm up" time?

I havnt read the manual as I don’t have one yet in my possession but general rule of thumb is to let them warm up or keep them plugged in (them being digital scales) my manual for the Dillion if I remember correctly says to let the scale warm up before useing it

Currently I’m using a Dillion digital and it drifts every so often I normally end up rezeroing it 3-4 times per 100 I load. I also keep a beam scale set up to double check my charges if I suspect it has drifted. I’ll be adding one of these frankfords to my bench and sometime after a fx120i set from area 419 (I’m a tool whore)

Bought my Intellidropper 3 days ago and it is going back to frankford for replacement. Can’t say I’m all to thrilled with the experience.

Got the scale home set it up leveled it and plugged it in. I gave it an hour to warm up before I started calibration. Calibrated it then powder calibrated it. So far so good. Threw some charges 10 to be exact before I weighed the charges against my other scales all good all the same.
Left it plugged in over night like I do my other scales. Come back to it on day 2 and it drifted -1.9. Recalibrated the scale and it almost instantly drifted .2 recalibrated again and same thing happened. Called the manufacturer explained what happened and she spoke to a “engineer” and emailed me saying to empty it and flip it over and tighten two hex screws. Done same results. I respond to the email and am basically told it must be my fault. Recalibrate zero it and leave it over night again come back mid afternoon and it’s drifted -3.9. Took a picture next to one of my other scales that says zero and has been running the same amount of time with a fresh recal and rezero. Sent it to them via email.
“Engineer” now days send it in they want to see it so they can diagnose the issue. They will send me a new one as soon as mine gets there. Ok I’m fine with that. Get a shipping label for FedEx ground. Not cool. I respond and ask if they can do usps it’s eaiser to get to and faster. Reply is no can do.

I have no issue shipping the item back to them. But I do take issue with it taking 2+ weeks to get a scale back I paid for that is a doa. To me it’s a we will take your money and you get what you get when you get it kind of thing. Personally if I have to replace a faulty item I next day or second day if the person is ok with it. But I guess that’s just me wanting to make things right and treat a customer well.

Take it with a grain of salt but this is my experience so far with the Intellidropper. Get a bone recommend from me so far on grounds of faulty unit and to me lack luster customer after care.

I dunno about anyone else, but I just leave mine always on.
-
same here . Seriously on my Chargmaster . except for a couple power outages, it been turn/Left On for 8+ years .

...Edit Change... LOL.. just asked wife how long here in this house . been left turned On since ( 2008 ) .

Last edited:
I have one of these. First thing is I leave it on 24/7 and dont have drift issues. Yea it might be off 0.2g next loading session but I go through the zero and cal procedure and load on with no issues.

The build in bubble level is off. I built an adjustable base for mine and leveled the base on the bench using a 2' level. If you use the built in bubble level its grossly obvious the scale is not level.

I have one of these. First thing is I leave it on 24/7 and dont have drift issues. Yea it might be off 0.2g next loading session but I go through the zero and cal procedure and load on with no issues.

The build in bubble level is off. I built an adjustable base for mine and leveled the base on the bench using a 2' level. If you use the built in bubble level its grossly obvious the scale is not level.
Is there a flat area on the scale that you can put a small level on to level it?

BLUF: I believe this is a worthy addition to anyone’s loading bench.

I picked up a Frankford Intellidrop over the weekend. I have been using a Hornady GS-1500 and Lee Precision beam scale for the past 18 months and loaded a ton of .308 and 6.5 Grendel rounds. I decided to step up my scale as the GS-1500 started giving up the ghost last week and drifting consistently.

Went with the new shiny, the Frankford Intellidrop. The instructions provided information on how to setup and calibrate the system. However, there is zero mention of how to dump the hopper when the session is complete. I’ve never owned a powder drop system so I don’t know if this is a common but it aggravates me when instruction manuals are incomplete.

I set out to do my competition load, 44.0 gr of Varget. I had 144 cases that needed charging. Using the beam and another GS-1500 (seller warrantied it for me), I measured 144 charges for the .308. Out of the charges dispensed, there were 4 overcharges. I randomly checked 15 charges. All where spot on at 44.0 grs.

The good: Threw charges quickly. Consistent.
The bad: Poor instructions (no instructions for how to remove powder from the hopper).
The ugly: Be sure to run a “last charge” after dumping the hopper. I ran 14.7 gr of Varget out of the hopper after I dumped it and not powder was visible.

I cannot compare it to the Hornady or RCBS but so far so good.
How does this connect to call app via Bluetooth? It's Supposed to! But I see no way to do it! **and in a pro tech a ...lol

Nothing in its manual about Bluetooth. Wondering if I was shipped the wrong unit. What I purchased Said it had a Bluetooth cell phone app and a video showing how you control it from the phone...

Any help here!

How does this connect to call app via Bluetooth? It's Supposed to! But I see no way to do it! **and in a pro tech a ...lol

Nothing in its manual about Bluetooth. Wondering if I was shipped the wrong unit. What I purchased Said it had a Bluetooth cell phone app and a video showing how you control it from the phone...

Any help here!
Take a look at https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/0...senal-intellidropper-unboxing-setup-overview/
under "Mobile Phone App and Bluetooth Connectivity" it says

When you launch the Intellidropper app, it uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to find the Intellidropper hardware and will connect to it automatically.

You have to go to The App Store and download the app. It’s free,then they will connect.

Yep...did that first thing. But it's not finding the unit. I'm wondering if it doesn't work with the Galaxy Note 9 cell...

Thanks!
Well...no luck yet.

I see several complaints on their site on this issue... I guess I'll have to call support Monday.

* Anyone else had the same issue and found out what the fix is yet?

No Bluetooth connecting....

Thanks guys!

Any more reviews?
I discussed this BT problem with a tech at Frankford. Bottom line...The issue was the material says...no pairing needed...automatic. But you do have to first pair to the unit listed under an unusual name on the Bluetooth SCAN list.

Once that was done...then, it's automatic! ...lol

All good. Careful leveling is critical.

I really am pleased with the unit. Very productive.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Any more reviews?
I set mine up this past weekend and got around to using it. Let it warm up for 15 mins. It worked very well for me with using the app to control it. First 10 6GT loads were done in manual mode to double check return to 0 between each load. Then I did 30 in the auto mode. Then I drained all powder and switched to doing 20 x 25SST loads. It worked really well though I did have two times where it would 'zero' at -0.01 and I'd re-zero it. Main thing is I wish it were a bit faster on the larger throws. It was fast enough on the 34gr Varget 6GT starting loads but noticeably slower on the 59gr N565 for 25SST. Pretty happy with it so far though.

Full disclosure: I have all the parts for the Auto-throw/trickler v2 sitting around, just haven't gotten around to assembling it and going through its setup & calibration to my powder charges. I'm a bit unsure on ease of changing between 34 & 59gr loads using the Auto-trickler. From reading instruction manuals only, the Intellidropper does seem easier to switch between powder & loads without having to change as much.

I set mine up this past weekend and got around to using it. Let it warm up for 15 mins. It worked very well for me with using the app to control it. First 10 6GT loads were done in manual mode to double check return to 0 between each load. Then I did 30 in the auto mode. Then I drained all powder and switched to doing 20 x 25SST loads. It worked really well though I did have two times where it would 'zero' at -0.01 and I'd re-zero it. Main thing is I wish it were a bit faster on the larger throws. It was fast enough on the 34gr Varget 6GT starting loads but noticeably slower on the 59gr N565 for 25SST. Pretty happy with it so far though.

Full disclosure: I have all the parts for the Auto-throw/trickler v2 sitting around, just haven't gotten around to assembling it and going through its setup & calibration to my powder charges. I'm a bit unsure on ease of changing between 34 & 59gr loads using the Auto-trickler. From reading instruction manuals only, the Intellidropper does seem easier to switch between powder & loads without having to change as much.
That -0.1 you're seeing is often a static charge. If you take a dryer cloth like would go in the dryer to prevent static and wipe inside and outside of the plastic cover, static goes away until it can get a static charge again days later. I keep one on my shelf. Over the unit.

Another thing I discovered with lots of use of this device is that I never turn it off. When you do it sometimes can take hours before it gets stabilized. You also need to make sure it's absolutely level in both directions and do not go by only by the bubble.

I have over 1300 rounds thru it and it's working perfectly well ...!

while I get the occasional over throw, especially with varget, I've never seen my chargemaster drift. Thrown many thousands of charges over several years.

Any more or updated reviews on the Frankford Intellidropper?

My original CM 1500 from 9 years ago is starting to give me more fits and looking at new options.

I had 2 different units and they were both faulty. Bought a Chargemaster and haven’t looked back since. Seems to be a gamble with what you get from FA on the Intellidropper.

I had 2 different units and they were both faulty. Bought a Chargemaster and haven’t looked back since. Seems to be a gamble with what you get from FA on the Intellidropper.

What was wrong with them?

All the numbers on the keypad didn’t work on one and Bluetooth/drifting on the other. Both of them drifted but one would drift over 2 grains.

According to my RCBS 505 and a cheap digital scale that’s never let me down, the Intellidropper is off by .5grain of 4350 every freaking time. I’ve calibrated it using the check weights and the calibration algorithm. Very frustrating.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Neither of the 2 I had was very accurate (.1 - .2 off) which if it would have been consistent I could have adjusted for that but it was consistent.

Neither of the 2 I had was very accurate (.1 - .2 off) which if it would have been consistent I could have adjusted for that but it was consistent.

Mine is consistent and I could just run it at a lower charge and trickle up, but that’s not what I paid for. I’m calling Frankford tomorrow, see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck, they sent me a replacement but it was bad also so I gave up on them. I live in Alaska and shipping times/cost are crazy so I don’t have time to keep trying until I get one that works.

This fucking piece of shit. Last Tuesday, I missed the hours for Frankford’s customer service phone so I took the hint from their website and opened up a support ticket since no matter what I do, my Intellidropper dispenses over a half grain heavy on H4350. I never, ever got a response from my support ticket despite getting email confirmation, so I called Frankford today and was advised that thing won’t dispense right without the clear plastic dust cover on when dispensing. So I recalibrated with that on and tried their advice. Not a single fucking change for the better, in fact it got worse. Shitty product, shitty support.

Last edited: