• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Franklin Covey vs Day Timer : Nylon Cover?

socalsheepdog

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Socal
I am looking at putting my life back on paper rather than trying to rely on my phone and computer to organize my life. Anyone have a preference in companies who specialize in planning products? I have always heard good things about Franklin Covey. Do you prefer Classic size or half size?

Also does anyone make a nice nylon cover for them, maybe something with some hook and loop on the front for a name tape/patch or something?

Re: Franklin Covey vs Day Timer : Nylon Cover?

When I used one it was the Franklin Covey classic size, really liked it.

If you want a real nice real leather professional planner book, send me a PM. I've got one I'll let go for cheap. It's in EXCELLENT shape.

I think FC is a little more "professional" but it's six of one, half dozen of another.

It's not about the planner. You can do anything you want with either one.

It's about having the discipline to organize and use it.

I used Franklin planners for years, but there's not enough difference between them to make any difference, IMO.

If you're going to use a paper planner, my advice is to write this on the first page where you record your name, address, etc.:

"$500 reward for return if found - no questions asked."

If you ever need that, you'll find the price is cheap, to get back your life.

I don't find a paper planner useful any more - and the risk of losing it is too high. I do everything electronically - backed up on line. It's much easier to find particular notes using search functions.

And some things, like doing complex planning, either can't be done on paper at all, or are too difficult to change once committed to paper - and you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> that changes will occur.

Good luck with whichever way you go, though.

Before you go out an buy something study your habits and what works for you.

I have always been a fan of GTD and similar methods. It's more of a state of mine/discipline for organizing your thoughts and getting them done. The method is what works for you.

For me I use my phone since it's always on me. The information is backed up instantaneously in the cloud so it can't be lost. I use iCal, Omnifocus, and notes to organize everything, but I started by carrying a moleskine and a pen. Here is what got me started.

Hope that helps!

I use my iPhone and a smaller paper calender because my days-off are not standard and I have not found a good way to input them in the electronic calender.

My iPhone is backed up and redundant. It's always with me and GPS enabled should it come up missing.

When all else fails, I just call my wife. She knows what I am supposed to be doing.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When all else fails, I just call my wife. She knows what I am supposed to be doing.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Hahaha ain't that the truth! My wife seems to know what I'm supposed to be doing even when I'm certain I already have plans.

I never met a planner I couldn't forget!
When I tried the planner I spent more time moving stuff over to the next day;'s list than getting it done.
I already have an iphone and a Blackberry. And a laptop, too.
My customers will not let me forget anything.
My wife and family have forgiven me ahead of time.

Thanks so much for the input, some excellent points made here. I will look into the GTD a little more, I have visited that in the past. I think there are a few apps on Android for that as well.

Best points made is the $500 dollar recovery reward and the hassle of moving all your to-do stuff to the next day and the discipline to do it.