• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories FRAUD WARNING!!!!! Everyone looking to purchase items on the Post Exchange should read this!!!!

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2005
    SLC, UT
    It was brought to my attention that someone has created two different accounts trying to pretend that he is me.

He has created accounts named .PRDRIVER and PRDRIVER. - My account does not have a period in front or behind it.

This Fraudster then contacted one individual who expressed interest in one of my listings. He tried to pretend like he was me and sent a PayPal invoice to the buyer trying to buy a Chassis we had listed. Luckily the customer thought something was fishy and called us at our shop.

He could have easily lost out on $1600.

I think this is something that everyone should be aware of as this individual is most likely doing this to other people in the SnipersHide Post Exchange.

Make sure you are messaging with the original person who posted the listing. Look Out for someone who has created a new account on SnipersHide by dropping a period in front or behind a name on SnipersHide. You can look at information on their account as to when it was created and the type of feedback they have received.

Thanks,

Rob W.
    SpecialPurposeRifles.com

It was brought to my attention that someone has created two different accounts trying to pretend that he is me.

He has created accounts named .PRDRIVER and PRDRIVER. - My account does not have a period in front or behind it.

This Fraudster then contacted one individual who expressed interest in one of my listings. He tried to pretend like he was me and sent a PayPal invoice to the buyer trying to buy a Chassis we had listed. Luckily the customer thought something was fishy and called us at our shop.

I think this is something that everyone should be aware of as this individual is most likely doing this to other people in the SnipersHide Post Exchange.

Make sure you are messaging with the original person who posted the listing. Look Out for someone who has created a new account on SnipersHide by dropping a period in front or behind a name on SnipersHide. You can look at information on their account as to when it was created and the type of feedback they have received.

Thanks,

Rob W.
    SpecialPurposeRifles.com
    Someone did the same thing with my user name

This happened to me the other day. I expressed interest in a chassis on someone's post. I received a well written PM and a PayPal link from the same user name, but it has a period at the end of the name. I noticed it immediately and clicked on the profile. That profile had zero history on here so I didn't respond, but the actual post account was a very well known username.

My PayPal account was coincidentally just hacked (attempted anyways) and I was alerted last night. The only PayPal activity I have is for Snipershide.

Be careful guys! Could have gotten me too.

Always ask for a special picture such as the item sitting on a chair with a coffee mug with a pen inside and a bottle of ketchup next to it.

Or do a video call to give details of the item.

Seller doesn't want to do it, move on or lose your Benjamins.

Always ask for a special picture such as the item sitting on a chair with a coffee mug with a pen inside and a bottle of ketchup next to it.

Those are great ideas, but the fraudster could pretend to be a buyer and ask for the same picture from the person who originally posted the item for sale if they are contacting you like this fraudster has been doing.

A video call is a great idea.

Even that's not usually enough. I have seen very passable fakes with the username, my username, and a time stamp.

Video chat....

Here is a great thread to check out. This should be pinned in the post exchange.

Just a word of advice, if you want to double check usernames, in MS Word (Click "Aa" icon), you can convert text to upper case or lower case, there are also free tools online to do this.

It's easy to see if usernames are different after doing this process, especially when it comes to I (capital i) and l (lower case l), which look identical otherwise.

Those are great ideas, but the fraudster could pretend to be a buyer and ask for the same picture from the person who originally posted the item for sale if they are contacting you like this fraudster has been doing.

A video call is a great idea.
    I ask for a custom pic. For instance, I recently purchased a stock and had the seller place his left hand into the mag well and show me the left side of the stock in a vertical pose. He was more than happy to help me because he was not trying to rip me off. Ask for something odd and if they hesitate, report them as fraud.

I got fuckered a similar way but it was a website not a username. misdirection in the spelling and a compelling website layout with well written correspondence. all scammers should be tortured

I got fuckered a similar way but it was a website not a username. misdirection in the spelling and a compelling website layout with well written correspondence. all scammers should be tortured
    I'd imagine if you go to prison for scamming people, you're way down the list of cool crimes. Probably going to be cleaning other people's backs in the showers. Probably can't even get into a cool gang, so they end up wearing makeup.

Thanks,

Rob W.
    SpecialPurposeRifles.com
    Your imposter contacted me wanting to know who bought my item I had for sale and if it was this site or another gun board.

I suspect it an AI bot doing it somehow. I asked someone about an item, received response at 3am from the real person. One minute later a similar message from them scammer with similar wording but offering to only pay half before he shipped and half when I received the item.

Literally just happened to me with a user and another one a few weeks ago. They put a "." At the front of the name to fool you.
    1000001569.jpg

Look at the join date and feedback. It’s super obvious. I’ve probably flagged 75 of these accounts over the last 2 weeks.

The biggest thing as a buyer: don’t put yourself in the spot to have the scammer step in. If you post “PM me” or “do you still have this?” You’re inviting a 3rd party to spoof the original user’s name and step in to try and complete the scam. Just PM the seller. It’s truly that simple.

Reactions: vno.helix
    @PRDRIVER
    @PRDRlVER.

Still have one and reported
    maybe there’s a setting to prevent new accounts being made if the username exists and the person is trying to add a period, comma, i or l, or using an ɑ instead of the correct a. That last one can get a lot of folks as it’s two different characters.

Need to create some honeypots for these shit heads!!

Reactions: PRDRIVER
    Hmmm, these "Fraud warning" posts have become more common here than "How do I level my scope?" or "Which is better, Mils or MOA?"......
    I don’t know what to say. I was notified of this today. I wanted to alert others to this so they didn’t get scammed. If it’s repetitive, I’m sorry. I have not been super active on the hide the past couple weeks. I also don’t read through pages and pages of listings in the PX. At least my post gave some of the perpetual complainers something to whine about.

As for the MILS vs MOA. It’s MILS, it’s always been MILS.