• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free float barrel clearance.

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
I just transfered my Rem. 700 aac-sd barreled action into a Rem. take-off laminated wood varmint stock. The barrel to channel fit is in perfect contact down its entire length. I need to open it up.How much clearance is acceptable to free float the barrel. I'm making brass pillars out of plumbing fittings in my drill press while waiting for answers. The fitting is a Home Depot part (hose barb adapter 3/8 Barb x 1/4 MIP @ $2.31 each) if anyone is interested.The hole has enough clearance,exterior threaded and barbed for bonding, with plenty of length to customize fit. Turn off the hex in the center with a file first-two minutes. Then drill the holes in the stock. Finally adjust the length by trimming from the bottom.
I just turned off the hex and added two epoxy retaning groove in its place. Than I opened up one of the holes to 9/16 inch. A slot was cut into the back of the fitting to cut threads into the stock wood as you screwed it in from the bottom to touch the receiver. Once adjusted to length, you can back fill with epoxy.
P.S. The fitting can also be made with a hand drill.

Re: Free float barrel clearance.

As long as the stock doesn't touch the barrel when your shooting it then even a small clearance is acceptable. What you need to account for is any stock flex that might occur when shooting, such as off a bipopd or bags. Those who preload their bipod when shooting may see more flex than some others and need to account for this. Of course on a high quality stock, fore-end flex should be minimal.

More is better than less.

If when the bipod is loaded you can slide a piece of paper between the stock and barrel, then you have sufficient free-float.

However I prefer quite a bit more in case you get some dirt or grit blown into the barrel channel. It doesn't look as custom fitted, but my stuff gets the snot kicked out of it anyway.

Some guys use a dollar bill...
I agree with the above sentiment that a little more, is better. I make sure it passes the "business card" test, as it's a bit thicker.

Depending on your stock, you may be well advised to check it with the front of the stock on a shooting rest, or with the bipod deployed...some stocks may flex a tiny bit when pressure is applied- you want to be sure that you still have clearance if that happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More is better than less.

If when the bipod is loaded you can slide a piece of paper between the stock and barrel, then you have sufficient free-float.

However I prefer quite a bit more in case you get some dirt or grit blown into the barrel channel. It doesn't look as custom fitted, but my stuff gets the snot kicked out of it anyway. </div></div>

I don't think that 'paper thin' will work well, I've had visible evidence of stock/barrel contact where there was around .060" of static clearance. I inletted the stock to around .100" of clearance and the contact dissapeared.

Also, hanging a suppressor on the end of the barrel will cause it to slightly 'sag' in the stock so if that is your intention then I would advise as much clearance as you can.

Thanks for the point about suppressor weight. I'm saving up for a .308 one right now. I'll probably order it next month. Firearms are like boats. A thousand here, a thousand there.

something to keep in mind too is airflow around the barrel for cooling.
a larger gap between the barrel and stock will let it cool down quicker.
look at the clearance on Sako TRG there is about a 1\4".

more is better