• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free Float Handguard Didn't Help

Jon Turner

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2023
Southern California
Here's the set up:
Rifle: WW 20" govt model, 5.56, 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel.
Mods to rifle: 2-stage trigger, LPVO optic added.
Ammo: home-rolled using Hornady 68 and 75 grain match bullets and about a half-dozen different powders.

Here's the scenario:
Stock, out of the box, my rifle shot 2.5 moa groups (average) for a 20-round group at 100 yards.
After installing a CLE Service Rifle NM free float handguard on it, it still shoots those same 2.5 moa groups.
I thought installing the ffhg would shrink the group size. Maybe I haven't found the "magic combination" of bullet/powder/primer yet. Maybe this is as well as this rifle can/will shoot.
In my latest "research", the light finally went on. The free float handguard is more to do with "consistency", than actual "accuracy", per se. Or in other words, this is as well as this rifle is capable of shooting, it's just that now when I sling up tight, the groups won't magically be smaller, they just won't have a poa/poi shift. Am I on to some thing here ?? THAT is the question.
I've got 40+ years of trigger time behind the M1 rifle, but only 2 behind the AR, so I'm still learning how to drive it, so to speak.
Hope this all makes sense to you. If you need clarification, let me know, I'll do my best to un-muddy the waters.
Thanks all.
Jon
Photo on left is pre free float.
Photo on right is post free float.
Same loads for both tests.
Groups are almost identical. Target is SR-1. 10-ring is 3 inches.

Attachments

• 20231012_015127.jpg
    20231012_015127.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 64
So you have a chrome lined barrel and wonder why it shoots like shit? Call keystone accuracy and upgrade.

Rifle: WW 20" govt model, 5.56, 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel.
You’re getting about 63% of the allowable group diameters for the military spec but with 20rd groups, so that’s demonstrably-better than expected. You ‘re also doing it slung-up, so this is pretty impressive performance for a rack-grade chrome-lined blaster.

That barrel is meant to take high-volume shooting in arctic to desert field conditions with no/minimal maintenance, and keep a certain mean radius much larger than what you’re printing.

You could try bedding it and applying only about 60-80ft-lbs for a medium/gov’t contour (per AMU), and see if that helps.

If you don’t want to mess around with guess-work, and only like cutting X rings, I would get a more accurate barrel from CLE, Precision Firearms, or White Oak Armament. Get a heavy pipe, true your receiver face, bed the barrel extension into the upper, apply about 35-40ft-lbs of barrel nut torque for a heavy (60-80ft-lbs for a government pipe).

You can try those bullets, but I also would recommend the 69gr Sierra Match King. If you can’t get a 69gr SMK to shoot, something is wrong with the chamber or barrel.

Looking forward to your results. That Windham Weaponry pipe is actually a good chrome-lined barrel.

What LPVO and mount are you using?

this is as well as this rifle is capable of shooting, it's just that now when I sling up tight, the groups won't magically be smaller, they just won't have a poa/poi shift.
That is exactly what free float handguards were meant to do in an AR-15

Your accuracy issues lie elsewhere

I have about as much experience shooting NM ARs with a sling as you do behind the M1 so.........take it for what its worth

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
You’re getting about 63% of the allowable group diameters for the military spec but with 20rd groups, so that’s demonstrably-better than expected. You ‘re also doing it slung-up, so this is pretty impressive performance for a rack-grade chrome-lined blaster.

That barrel is meant to take high-volume shooting in arctic to desert field conditions with no/minimal maintenance, and keep a certain mean radius much larger than what you’re printing.

You could try bedding it and applying only about 60-80ft-lbs for a medium/gov’t contour (per AMU), and see if that helps.

If you don’t want to mess around with guess-work, and only like cutting X rings, I would get a more accurate barrel from CLE, Precision Firearms, or White Oak Armament. Get a heavy pipe, true your receiver face, bed the barrel extension into the upper, apply about 35-40ft-lbs of barrel nut torque for a heavy (60-80ft-lbs for a government pipe).

You can try those bullets, but I also would recommend the 69gr Sierra Match King. If you can’t get a 69gr SMK to shoot, something is wrong with the chamber or barrel.

Looking forward to your results. That Windham Weaponry pipe is actually a good chrome-lined barrel.

What LPVO and mount are you using?
Thank you for the info. Most appreciated.
LPVO is a Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT. Mount is a Warne X-skel.

UPDATE 02/09/24
I shot in the local XTC match last month. Free-floating really paid off. I gained 46 points and shot a personal best. My old "best" was a 616 (800 possible). My new "best" is a 662. That's only 8 points shy of moving up to Sharpshooter class. I was pretty stoked about that.
Just thought I'd let you all know about the improvement. Now to work on me and try for expert. I think it's finally within reach.
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Jon