• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free float HG options

telcolineman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Pine Grove, Norcal
I have a 20" barrel AR10, I am looking to FF the barrel. But don't have a ton of $$ to spend, Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at the badger ordinance or the armalite aluminum FF tube, Or any other reasonably priced options. Mostly to be used as a bench gun, I will take a used 1 as well
Thanks Jim

Re: Free float HG options

Cheap FF Handguard and AR-10 don't really go hand-in-hand.

The best options (in terms of price), are:

1) Armalite - $80 + S&H - You can add accessory rails for around $30 or so if you need to mount anything on the HG and you can't beat the price!

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...10-763df7f5229e

2) Midwest Indus., Badger Ord., JP Enterprises all make FF Handguards for the AR-10 for approx. $175 give or take (not a bad price compared to the more expensive units like the Larue, PRI, etc., but still over 2x the cost of the Armalite unit).

The Armalite unit is actually not a bad option. It is sturdy, lightweight, well-made and good enough for the AR-10T rifles which are very capable rifles. I like the Badger in terms of looks, but the flat bottom of the Stabilizer HG is a really nice feature for bench stability depending on the bag/rest/etc. combo you are using. You can also add rails to the Stabilizer HG if you need to add any forward accessories to your rifle for some reason.

That is exactly the Arm Hg I was looking at, My gunsmith says they are a PITA to install. Badger flat bottom is a new one on me, Looks great for the bench as you stated. PM'd you with a ?

I have the Badger Stabilizer on mine. Works great. Was pretty easy to install (check my site).

I picked it up from a guy on Arfcom for pretty cheap. Check the EE there, I think he still has a couple.

Be warned, it does add some weight, but it's not too bad. The handguard feels good when shooting positions, and my Harris bipod attaches well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap FF Handguard and AR-10 don't really go hand-in-hand.

The best options (in terms of price), are:

1) Armalite - $80 + S&H - You can add accessory rails for around $30 or so if you need to mount anything on the HG and you can't beat the price!

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...10-763df7f5229e</div></div>

This was my choice, and not difficult to install if you have the proper tools...