• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free float the barrel?

blues2o

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Just got a new to me 10/22 target the older model with a traditional laminate stock. Currently the barrel is touching at the fore end. It’s not grouping as well as I’d hoped curious if I should sand out the barrel Channel ?

If the barrel it touching the stock, there is a high probability that it is impacting accuracy. I would also check as to why the barrel is touching the stock. If it a bedding issue, is the barrel installed with the same centerline of the action, etc.

It's normal for 10/22's and some rimfires in general to have a barrel pad towards the front of the stock. In rimfires, the barrel pad can help dampen harmonics and help with accuracy but at the same time it could also hurt it.

First things first, what kind of ammunition are shooting?

Also, define "it's not grouping as well as I'd hoped"

I tried 5 different ammo at 50 yards
M22-2.5 in
Federal auto match-1.8in
Federal match hv-1.7in
Cci mini mag- 1.5in
Cci stinger - 1in
I tried multiple groups of each I was hoping for a 3/4in or better at 50 yards

I pulled the stock off and it appears to have a barrel pad at the very front of the stock

Sounds like the typical results from low end 22lr cartridges.
Grab a magnifying glass and look at those cartridges.
Do they look like they are well made?
Or do they look like they've been mishandled, banged around, less than uniform in appearance?
If so, then you have an explanation for your results.
Buy cr*ppy ammunition, you end up with cr*ppy results.

Look at the transition from the nose to the drive bands.
Left side is higher than the right.
An asymmetric projectile will not produce a predicatable trajectory. :(

276696_2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the barrel pad is normal and while none of those options are really match grade, you should be seeing better groups than that. I've gotten right around 3/4" of an inch with CC Mini-Mags and right around an inch with Fed Auto Match but I wouldn't expect consistent 1/2 - 5/8" groups with any of those options. You have a few options though at this point.

a) Use aluminum tape to shim the barrel pad in hopes of changing the harmonics and improving accuracy. I've never done this myself though so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

b) Remove the barrel pad to free float the barrel back to the receiver. I've done this one and I did see some improvements with regards to accuracy and consistency but the receiver also wasn't well supported so if I put any stress on the stock or action, like if I was slinging up, then I'd get POI shifts. A work around to that is to do a bedding job on the receiver with a pillar up front at the action screw.

c) Spend the $200 on a Victor Company Titan 10/22 stock and cheek riser, this is my recommendation because it's going to negate the back and forth of trying this and trying that. Drop your barreled action into the stock and you will see tangible improvements, especially when you start using quality match grade ammunition. I'm not saying the stock is going to be a miracle worker and suddenly make mini-mags shoot like Midas + but I'm positive you'll be happy with the changes.

Reactions: blues2o
Thanks for the suggestion on the stock I was thinking down the road to upgrade but the look of the nutmeg and blues barrel is really growing on me. As for ammo that’s what I could find locally to me and is usually available.

Try some cci standard velocity. If you have the ability to remove the stock and still shoot the rifle, give that a try. This will show you if it is the stock interference, or the barrel not likening the higher velocity ammo selection.

I have used a basic bench vise before to sit this, and it worked great.

Where are you located at? If near by I have a ton of ammo you could try. Would be great to have another shooting companion

Wish I was close but I’m in western NY. I think I can get my hands on some CCI standard so I’ll give that a try. I did sand out the barrel channel and it seems it may have been the wrong move. The barrel seems to heavy for the one action screw so it wants to rock fore and aft in the stock. The victor company Titan is looking better and better has anyone tried there rear spike setup.

I have had one of the target versions, with the hammer forged barrel right? The thing shot great.

You can always add material to make up what you took out. Go to the hardware store and look for some aluminum tape, typically around the duct work stuff. Take some small strips and lay in the barrel channel. Are you sure the bolts are tight holding the reciever down? Could be as easy as a loose bolt.

For an easy test rig.....take a 2x4 or small block of aluminum. Drill a hole for your mounting locations. Take the "rig" and a c-clamp to the range. You should be able to clamp everything down and see exactly what kind of accuracy you can expect. If still piss poor accuracy you may have a bad barrel, carbon build up in the chamber, or a few other things. It could always come down to the shooter as well. If this is a newer rifle it has the plastic trigger group and have had issues in the past with them binding and causing awful trigger pulls.

It has a bx trigger installed. I took it to the range today and played around with shimming the barrel and was able to get some better results 3/4 at 50yd but that would be cherry picking the 2 best groups at the end of the day I’ll have to get it back out this week to see if it was a fluke.

Yeah, the barrel pad is normal and while none of those options are really match grade, you should be seeing better groups than that. I've gotten right around 3/4" of an inch with CC Mini-Mags and right around an inch with Fed Auto Match but I wouldn't expect consistent 1/2 - 5/8" groups with any of those options. You have a few options though at this point.

a) Use aluminum tape to shim the barrel pad in hopes of changing the harmonics and improving accuracy. I've never done this myself though so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

b) Remove the barrel pad to free float the barrel back to the receiver. I've done this one and I did see some improvements with regards to accuracy and consistency but the receiver also wasn't well supported so if I put any stress on the stock or action, like if I was slinging up, then I'd get POI shifts. A work around to that is to do a bedding job on the receiver with a pillar up front at the action screw.

c) Spend the $200 on a Victor Company Titan 10/22 stock and cheek riser, this is my recommendation because it's going to negate the back and forth of trying this and trying that. Drop your barreled action into the stock and you will see tangible improvements, especially when you start using quality match grade ammunition. I'm not saying the stock is going to be a miracle worker and suddenly make mini-mags shoot like Midas + but I'm positive you'll be happy with the changes.
Victor company inbound gave up on the wood stock. Have a titan10/22 and there rear spike on order.