• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing free float tube AR

huntall

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Show Me State
I have a RRA 16" Varmint model with the .936 diameter barrel and I would like to put a rifle length free float tube on it, preferably some type of one piece quad rail. Problem is the tube needs to fit over the EGW low profile gas block and I know from the carbine free float tube that came with the gun it will not clear. The gas block may clear if some material was milled off the bottom side of gas block. I didn't want to do this, so if any one can come up with a solution please help. Also does the AR-10 free float tubes work on the AR-16 uppers o.k. and if so which ones?

Thanks
Huntall

Re: free float tube AR

AFAIK-The gas block, and Delta Ring assembly will both need to be removed from the barrel in order to install a free float tube.

They make low profile gas blocks specifically for fitting under the float tube. It sounds like you already have a carbine length tube on the gun so all you need is a low-profile gas block and a rifle length tube.

I aready have the EGW low profile gas block installed and the 2" i.d. free float tube will not clear it by approximately 1/16" but it also needs a small amount of room after it is installed so not to hit on the barrel as it flexes from the shot. Remeber this is a heavy barreled varmint with a barrel diamenter of 0.936 at the gas block so this limits to the gas blocks available. Again what type of free float tube will work with this combination.
Thanks
Huntall