• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Free-floating an action?

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I just watched a Darrell Holland video course, Building The Ultimate Tactical Or Varmint Riflehttps://smartflix.com/store/video/1946/Building-The-Ultimate-Tactical-Or-Varmint-Rifle, and like all his videos, it is well worth the time to watch. His flagship project is a design I'd never heard of: a V-block mounted ahead of the receiver with both the barrel forward of the block and the receiver aft of the block floating. The barrel breech is threaded to butt up to the receiver without a lug and a tenon of sorts is machined into the barrel about 4 inches ahead of the receiver where the lug is locked in place by a threaded sleeve and shoulder. The lug is bedded into the stock ahead of the V-block.

I'm curious as to why I've never seen anything like this before. It's an older video by the looks of it (I'd guess late 80s or early 90s) so it either wasn't much of a hit with shooters, or it doesn't work as well as more conventional designs. Any comments?

Generally seen on heavy gun class 1000 Yd. rifles. Due to the weight of the "Barrel Block" this style is not often seen in tactical rifle applications. If you google "Benchrest Railguns" you might see some pictures of Benchrest Unlimited class rifles.

Google "barrel block".

Weight would be a concern on a field rifle. If weight is not a concern, a barrel block would make the unsupported barrel shorter resulting in less "whip". It also allows for a very rigid union of the ba into the stock.

Last edited:
"barrel block" sure brings up some interesting hits, but nothing like what I saw in the video. It looks like Holland's idea taken to the extreme, but the gun Mr. Holland built didn't look like it'd be any heavier than a typical aluminum v-block receiver (i.e. HS Precision, B&C, AI, etc.).

Here's a link to the video for sale on brownells (you can see the design in the picture but not very detailed):

Tactical Or Varmint Rifle : #3124 BUILDING THE TACTICAL OR VARMINT RIFLE | Brownells

I've one of those Holland rifles with the V-block.

I don't like how only one screw holds the metal to the stock. Also, while it's free floating the action, you still have the magazine pushing on it... but I admit that's not much.

And, if you want to make any changes, you're pretty much well stuck.

I hear 10/22's benefit from this, a buddy has a pimped out 10/22 in a mcmillan and the barrel is just drilled and tapped and bolted directly to the stock. The action is completely free floating.

Well, a 10/22 is already a tough gun to clamp. A aluminum receiver and a single screw holding it in... something more substantial is bound to help.