• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free Places to Shoot Distance in Colorado Springs

Xinarin13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
Anybody know of anywhere or anyone in Colorado Springs that allows longer range shooting on the property? I know we have Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex, but I would like to find somewhere to shoot when I only need to pop a few shots to test a load, or when I need to make a lot of trips downrange... Anything will do pretty much... fields, forest clearings, praries, gravel pits, whatever. I just would prefer somewhere free and somewhat close.

You are asking for a lot, all of us would like to have something like that.
Maybe go out towards Punkin Center and try talking to some land owners out there?
We have a 1000 yd range near Sterling that with a lot of coordination, on the right day of the week, if we could get people out there to arrange your trips down range as it would be necessary to shut all other shooters off on the pistol range it might be able to be done.
Ain't easy is it Bub?
None of us live in a perfect world. F M
Are you a recent transplant from some foreign country like California or New York that moved here for the wide open spaces only to fuck up what you moved here for?

Last edited:
You are asking for a lot, all of us would like to have something like that.
Maybe go out towards Punkin Center and try talking to some land owners out there?
We have a 1000 yd range near Sterling that with a lot of coordination, on the right day of the week, if we could get people out there to arrange your trips down range as it would be necessary to shut all other shooters off on the pistol range it might be able to be done.
Ain't easy is it Bub?
None of us live in a perfect world. F M
Are you a recent transplant from some foreign country like California or New York that moved here for the wide open spaces only to fuck up what you moved here for?

Lol, no, not from CA or NY, and the "wide open spaces" out here are just privately owned ranch land that you can't actually go on. I'm actually really surprised by how little land is owned by normal people out here... which is the problem. Where I am from it is uncommon for someone to own less than an acre of land... and quite common to see 30-500 acres... which means everybody and their brother owns a spot to shoot, and that is assuming you aren't friends with several farmers, all of which are more than willing to let you shoot as long as you give them a heads up before heading out.

I know it is a lot to hope for, I guess just hope to find someone who owns some property out here who doesn't mind people coming out to shoot.

The Punkin Center idea isn't bad... that is if I can actually figure out who owns what land lol.

Also, Punkin Center??? I didn't even know that was a place! What a great name lmao.

If I find anything good, I'll let you guys know, assuming the owner is ok.

Ask those landowners/ranchers if you can go. Worst thing they can say is no. If one lets you on, keep it under your hat so someone else doesn't fuck it up for you.
Find a platt book to find out who they are then talk to them. Offer to trade work for a place to shoot. There are some good people out there but they don't come to you, you go to them.
If you get on somewhere treat the land as if you owned it, ie. no trash etc. Treat them right and they will treat you right.
That is kind of how things go out there. Google Punkin Center. It is no bullshit. Drive around a bit and see if you can't find what you are seeking. You may have to talk to several. F M

In addition, when I was a kid I did this asking for land to hunt on. I mostly hunted small game so that helped.

I made a printed sheet with all my info, hunter safety stuff, etc. i wrote a brief paragraph about what I would do if allowed on their land. I never had a problem getting a yes by doing that, looking a man in the eye, and giving a solid handshake.
Where I am from, that would still work today. I did help a couple guys move some stuff but most didnt ask for work, just a promise I wouldnt tear up their land.

Good luck

In addition, when I was a kid I did this asking for land to hunt on. I mostly hunted small game so that helped.

I made a printed sheet with all my info, hunter safety stuff, etc. i wrote a brief paragraph about what I would do if allowed on their land. I never had a problem getting a yes by doing that, looking a man in the eye, and giving a solid handshake.
Where I am from, that would still work today. I did help a couple guys move some stuff but most didnt ask for work, just a promise I wouldnt tear up their land.

Good luck

Smart words there Hound. F M
I hope he listens and realizes that nothing is free. It is just how you pay for it??? Usually it is like you say but sometime you get to go help fence and get a free ridearound then you pick your area you want to shoot then make them take a few shots just to see how the wind blows. Usually works, Or you can be OLD and from the area. That works best.
I like to shoot onto our plowed fields so I can see splash. and learn from that shot.

Great advice guys! I really appreciate the ideas, I'll have to give it a shot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk