• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free recoil POI change question

Danger Mouse

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2019
Afternoon all,
just seeking some input from those with greater knowledge than I. I have been shooting for decades, including in New Zealand Defence Force. I mainly shoot for recreation and am currently shooting a Lee Enfield No4 Mk2 (T) replica. I realise that the technology and ergonomics of a WW@ firearms has its limitations.

I have been experimenting with how I address the rifle, either a secure hold and pulling into the shoulder (using a sandbag rest) or using my off hand to support the butt in order to finely adjust elevation and thus letting the 'free recoil' and do what it wants.

I have noted that the second 'free recoil' technique does in fact achieve tighter groups, but it also makes a significant change to point of impact - 40mm high and 25mm to the right when at 100m.

I assume that it is due to how my body reacts and influences the rifle during the recoil impulse, does this sound correct? I cant use the 'free recoil' technique in all shooting positions eg kneeling or prone unsupported.

Any information, comments and influences that I may not have considered would be appreciated.

Thanks team.

Short answer, you can beat the bullet out of the barrel several ways. Trigger press, npa issues, recoil management (including free recoil), breathing, etc….

You should combine those techniques.

With the firing hand, pull the gun against your shoulder. But do not mess with NPOA.

With the support hand, hold the butt and possibly pull from there too.

Then touch on the trigger. Follow through.

I suggest you watch the instructive videos by LL (subscription) here and keep reading threads also, maybe search with "NPOA" to get fitting results. Many users here share their experience of what works and what not, for them.

You should combine those techniques.

With the firing hand, pull the gun against your shoulder. But do not mess with NPOA.

With the support hand, hold the butt and possibly pull from there too.

Then touch on the trigger. Follow through.

I suggest you watch the instructive videos by LL (subscription) here and keep reading threads also, maybe search with "NPOA" to get fitting results. Many users here share their experience of what works and what not, for them.
Perfect thanks, I'll give that a go, and I had been considering a subscription as well so it might be time.

I forgot the name, when you are prone, have the butt on the ground but and your shoulder pocket, the foregrip resting on a fist you make on the ground, not sure if that would be considered free recoil? But POI has been pretty on point for me, now doing the suspend the foregrip on a sling hung on some structure, not so much. Not sure why the difference

I forgot the name, when you are prone, have the butt on the ground but and your shoulder pocket, the foregrip resting on a fist you make on the ground, not sure if that would be considered free recoil? But POI has been pretty on point for me, now doing the suspend the foregrip on a sling hung on some structure, not so much. Not sure why the difference
Cheers, it's a ww2 rifle, so ergonomics have come a long way since this thing was built. I'll keep trying a few things but a few quirks may be the nature of the beast

Reactions: TurboTrout