• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Freebore question with Tikka

bonecollector777

AZshooter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
AZ - Arizona
This is slightly confusing as im new to this so hopefully i can word it right to get some answers. Background to the question, I'm building a 280AI off a tikka action. magazine length restricts my coal to 3.340 max. Saami specs are 3.330" coal". The reamer Chad at LRI has shows a freebore of
.07". I'm hoping to be able to shoot the 162eldx or the 168ablr in this gun. I know shooting those longer bullets I won't get the case capacity benefit of seating them out longer because they won't fit my magazine. I'm fine losing some speed seating bullets deeper as long as the bullet still can touch the lands. So long story short is there anyway to know if a reamer with .07" freebore will allow longer bullets to reach the lands when restricted to 3.340"? If not are there reamers out there that could make that happen? Or am I better off getting an extended bottom metal mag that lets me seat out to 3.500"? I would prefer to stick with the regular magazines if I can pull off what I was asking above knowing ill lose some speed but in trade have the ability to play with distances from lands. not a big deal to get the extended length mags if that solves the problems. Hope that makes sense and thanks for any help!

The bottom of the Tikka action also limits the overall length of the round to 3.41". I have a CDI bottom metal with my Tikka action with AICS 300WM length mags. I had to lengthen the bottom of the action to allow for longer length rounds to be magazine fed.

I have a 7mm RemMag and can now load 175 and 183 Matchking rounds from the mags when loaded out to 3.6" or so :)

The bottom of the Tikka action also limits the overall length of the round to 3.41". I have a CDI bottom metal with my Tikka action with AICS 300WM length mags. I had to lengthen the bottom of the action to allow for longer length rounds to be magazine fed.

I have a 7mm RemMag and can now load 175 and 183 Matchking rounds from the mags when loaded out to 3.6" or so :)
Do you have pic of where to lengthen/ machine/grind??

Do you have pic of where to lengthen/ machine/grind??

I just need to grind down the front portion of the followers in the AICS mags so the don't contact the action and angle downward which causes the last round to nose dive. Also, you'll need to tune the front of the magazine lips to let the rounds angle upward ever so slightly to feed reliably anyway.
IMG_20190723_1215439.jpg
IMG_20190723_1440516.jpg
IMG_20190723_1442357.jpg
IMG_20190723_1441499.jpg