• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Freedom Arms M83 (Pics Added 9/11/14)

siscoe308

Dimachaerus
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
Usa
Hiders, I have my Freedom Arms M83 in 454 Casull coming in shorty. Its gonna be a beauty! Premier grade 7 1/2 in barrel, inverted crown, black Micarta grips, trigger & action job done at factory. (Ill post pics...not groups! Lol) That being said I would like to have the cylinders numbered and the USMC bursting bomb engraved somewhere on the frame. I have been looking into it and see that hand engravers HATE working on Freedom Arms due to the hardness of their steel. I have decided that machine engraving does not have the soul of a hand done piece. Anybody who know know of an good engraver who may want to tackle this job? Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
I would call FA and ask them. You are absolutely correct that they use Uber hard steel for the frame and cylinder.

What do you mean by "Number the cylinders"? If you have a .454 and a .45 colt cylinder they will come with the caliber designation already.

I've owned probably six different FA's over the years. AMAZING revolvers.

FN in MT

I know a woman that does nice work. If you would like shoot me a PM.

@FN
I meant chambers. I have seen several FA's with the chambers numbered 1-5, thought it looked cool & would be interesting to see any chamber shot better than others.

[MENTION=67080]dragbag[/MENTION]
I contacted Michael Grouse out of Montana (master engraver) He didn't bat an eye lash when I asked about hard steel. Great price also

She has arrived! (with the smallest group she will ever fire!)

Last edited:

Inverted crown= pure sex. Snap caps in cylinder. Trigger tuned to 3.5 lbs, Breaks perfect with zero creep. She gonna get broke down and shipped to engraver today.

I love my FA83. I have had several and this is my favorite so far. It also has 45 Colt and 45acp cylinders. This is also an early one when they had replaceable forcing cones which they discontinued due to cost.

Wonderful hand cannon, I have shot the FA in 454 caliber and was impressed. I will look forward to your photos of the completed work.

Engraving complete, And parts received. I am overall happy with the job, but there were a couple issues.

1. There were two large dings in the frame. One was sever enough I had a local jeweler smooth it over and polish it out. (could have happened in transit)
2. Several tool making (where the engraving tool dragged & scratched as he completed a cut)
3. On the bomb there is an obvious double pass (I don't know the correct engraving term)

I did a fair amount of buffing and polishing to remove the rough edges on most of the work. I guess it is my fault for not vetting more thoroughly but I struggle with the balance of babysitting and getting work that I consider acceptable.

Last edited: