• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Freedom Arms opinions...

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Warning: I'm asking for opinions.

I want a Freedom Arms Model 83 in 454 something bad, but there's always the Lipseys exclusive Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 454 that seems close enough. Is the FA really that much better? Also, for a gun I plan to actually carry in the field and use, do you think it would be an insult to carry and put field wear on a FA?

Now, I already have a Bowen Custom RedHawk with a Colt barrel on it and love it. So I get the appeal of custom revolvers. I don't regret it at all. But I also got my Bowen at half price used. So I'm not in it $2800 or whatever it would cost now days.

If you weren't made of money [like me] and had to save to make large purchases such as this, which route would you take?

My dad had 2 Freedom Arms .454's before he died, pretty much all he hunted deer with the last several years of his life... I say go for it. If you're already second guessing the Ruger, in my opinion buying one & not having the Freedom Arms ain't gonna make that any better... Quite the opposite actually.

Reactions: Bakwa
    You know what you really want to get so just go ahead and break down and get it.

The two thing I don't like about the Freedom Arms revolver is the price (high but fitted like a swiss watch) and carrying it with an empty chamber under the hammer (now a 4 shooter). I lusted for one for the longest time, I just never got around to getting one.

Mike

One of my most prized possessions. You won't regret it.

PXL_20201111_232054765.jpg

As for field wear, who cares? It’s your gun. Use the crap out of it. If you ever have to sell it you still get 75% of new cost even with cosmetic wear and blemishes, plus you have all the memories of actually using it.

I have a Premier grade with a 4 3/4” non ported barrel. It’s unparalleled in my opinion and I also have Ruger, S&W, and Uberti revolvers. I was fortunate and picked it up used with probably less than a box of ammo through it and the warranty card still in the box. My guess is the first owner had no experience with heavy recoiling pistols, shot it, didn’t know how to hang onto it properly, and sold it. It took a little getting used to with barrel length, but once I found out that 335 LBT’s at 1450 fps were a lot more comfortable to shoot than fast 260‘s I haven’t looked back. It’s stupid accurate, very comfortable grip with the heavy recoil, and fitted like a fine watch.

Buy it, there’s nothing like it.

Oh, and don’t mess around with Pachmayr grips on it, keep the originals. I‘ve found it’s a combination during recoil of the arms rotating up at the elbow, the wrist rotating, and a slight bit of the gun rotating in my hand that makes the gun comfortable to shoot; the Pachmayr grips keep it from rotating in your hand which forces that energy into your wrist, which you don’t want. It might be different with a longer barrel. There‘s a balance with the short barrel that all comes together nicely with 335 LBT’s.

I think it’s funny that the only negative comment about the gun comes from a person who has never owned one. 🤣