• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Freedom Edition AR-15

digitalshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Tempe, Az
When politicians start saying I can't have something then that makes me want it even more. Since some are saying that I can't have an evil "assault rifle", well that just made me want one even more. So, with that being said and the Labor Day weekend sales what do you think I did? I practiced my God given right that is protected under the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution and purchased an evil black Aero Precision Freedom reciever set to start building an "evil assault rifle" GOD BLESS AMERICA

I will be ordering a custom barrel from Bartlein Barrels on Monday that will take about 4 months to get to a gunsmith to finish it off. Since I hate paying retail it probably won't be until Black Friday until I order more parts. I already have a few bits and pieces that will be coming in next week. Still have to decide on the bolt carrier group and hand guards anyway plus some of the control devices such as the safety and bolt catch. So many to choose from, decisions decisions ???

I'm always open to suggestions on parts to use. Since the barrel is going to be some time out it's going to take a while. But it will be interesting to see the results.

The parts I currently have are:

Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Receiver set Freedom Edition
Geissele SSA-E trigger

Next week I have the following coming in:

ERGO Grips AR15/M16 Ambidextrous Tactical Deluxe Pistol Grip, Black
CMMG, Inc Screw,1/4-24x1in,Large,Pistol Grip,AR15
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Pivot / Takedown Pin Set, Black, BAD-EPS
Luth-AR Magazine Catch Assy
Geissele Super Charging Handle

Precision Lower.jpg

Precision Lower 2.jpg

Precision Reciever.jpg

Precision Reciever Top.jpg

I keep going between a 16" and 18" barrel. I keep leaning towards 18" in a MK12 SPR profile for some reason even though I'm not building a MK12 clone. I already have a carbine length AR which is probably why I'm leaning towards the 18" barrel.

While I don't reload yet I do plan on learning. So I'll be able to start making my own cartridges.

Reactions: Jsp556 and The DFC
I keep going between a 16" and 18" barrel. I keep leaning towards 18" in a MK12 SPR profile for some reason even though I'm not building a MK12 clone. I already have a carbine length AR which is probably why I'm leaning towards the 18" barrel.

While I don't reload yet I do plan on learning. So I'll be able to start making my own cartridges.

Why the Bartlein Barrel? What is you reasoning? Just wondering why not something else that is equal in quality and not such a long wait.

Reactions: Jsp556
@The DFC : I already have the Geissele SSA-E trigger. I have a Geissele NM trigger in my 308 AR that I love, so I thought I would go ahead and try the SSA-E. I haven't really heard a bad thing about it. So I don't really see the reason to get something else at this point.

@mheimer_45 and @Docsherm Bartlein and Krieger seem to be the best actuall barrel manufacturers out there right now. I contacted both Bartein and Krieger about what I wanted in my barrel. Krieger was not willing to do a left hand twist barrel. At least not for me they weren't. I'm not sure why that is. Bartlein however is willing to do a left hand twist gain barrel for me. So I will just have to wait for them to get it done. No one stocks left hand gain twist barrels that I know of. Sometimes it's what you have to do when you want something different than most other people.

Reactions: bobke
So I just talked to Compass Lake Engineering about my barrel choice. I was looking to get the barrel in rifle length gas but CLE doesn't provide that option in their MK12 SPR contour but they do with the Douglas barrels. They said that the reason they don't normally do the MK12 SPR contour is because they put the gas port and have issues with gas port errosion and a couple of other things and the barrel loosing accuracy. He said the only manufacturer that this isn't an issue with is Douglas barrels for some reason possibly due to the steel that Douglas uses. He also said that if Bartlein was willing to warranty the barrel he would do it but I don't really feel like dealing with possibility of gas port erosion and the loss of accuracy so I think I'm going to go with with either their standard mid length gas system or another contour. But I have decided on an 18" barrel.

So I just talked to Compass Lake Engineering about my barrel choice. I was looking to get the barrel in rifle length gas but CLE doesn't provide that option in their MK12 SPR contour but they do with the Douglas barrels. They said that the reason they don't normally do the MK12 SPR contour is because they put the gas port and have issues with gas port errosion and a couple of other things and the barrel loosing accuracy. He said the only manufacturer that this isn't an issue with is Douglas barrels for some reason possibly due to the steel that Douglas uses. He also said that if Bartlein was willing to warranty the barrel he would do it but I don't really feel like dealing with possibility of gas port erosion and the loss of accuracy so I think I'm going to go with with either their standard mid length gas system or another contour. But I have decided on an 18" barrel.

Get a WOA barrel, thank me later & never look back; & you can likely have it shipped same day that you order it or surely sooner than the Bartlein.

CLE is a great shop, Bartlein's are fantastic, Douglas is great, but you likely will be more than happy with a WOA barrel. Also, Craddock Precision normally has Rock Creek barrels in stock & they are outstanding as well, sometimes he has Bartlein's in stock too. Paul Craddock is a top-shelf guy to work with besides.

MM

Reactions: Jackalope
Another vote for White Oak Armament. Their spr barrels are on sale for $80 off Thursday too:

Last edited:
Listen to what they say. I got the same thing from them last year and managed to talk them into making an 18” rifle gas criterion. They warned me and they were right. Thing shoots like horse shit.

Just got the lower built. I have another lower that's been sitting around for a long time doing nothing so I decided I would do two builds. In fact the lower is so old that the company is no longer in business LOL. The 18" build I started planning and a pistol build. So I took the lower last night and started the 18" build. Since I don't have the barrel or the handguard yet I decided I would build that lower into a pistol lower to start out with and once I have the handguard and barrel I will switch out the pistol brace for a Magpul UBR Gen 2 and build the other lower into a pistol.

Parts list:

Aero Precision M4E1 Freedom Lower
Battle Arms Enhanced Pivot Pin Set
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
Radian Talon Ambi Safety
BCM Quick Detach End Plate
SB Tactical SBA4 Pistol Brace
Ergo Tactical Delux Grip
Mil-Spec Castle Nut
Mil-Spec Magazine Release

Some notes about the build"

Aero Lower: This is a M4E! Enhanced lower. The set screw for installing the bolt catch is a nice addition. Aeros website said it's a 1/16" set screw but the hex key needed is smaller than that. Not a bid deal but knowing the right size hex key from the start is always nice especially since a lot of people probably don't hae hex keys that small and would have to go buy one. It's also a little bit of a pain to screw in and out because it's so small and you have to remove the hex key every half turn so it takes a few minutes to screw it all the way in. Nothing Aero can do about that but it's still nicer than trying to pound in a roll pin so I won't hold that against Aero but it's just something to note. Tolerances seem excellent and no issues with anything fitting in loosely.

Battle Arms Enhanced Pivot Pin Set:
The pivot pin set came with a small magnet to help install the pivot pin. I found it too much of a pain. You place the magnet on the other side of the pin detent hole and place the pin detent in the hole and the magnet holds it there. You then place the spring into the lower and try to place the detent into the lower and then slide the pivot pin into the holes and it's supposed to go right on. The problem I had was when I tried to place the detent into the lower the pin would move and not go into the lower. I finally just took a punch slight smaller than the holes for the pivot pin and placed the pin and spring into their hole and then placed the punch into the pivot pin holes and then slid the punch out with the pivot pin and it went right into place like it should. Much easier than trying to use the magnet method. But over all it's a very nice pivot and takedown pin set and wouldn't hesitate to use it again in another build

Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch: It appears to be a pretty nice bolt catch. It's nice and large. The bottom howerever is slightly too large. It covers up part of the hammer pin hole and you can't install the hammer into the lower if you're using some kind of slave pin. So if you're installing a trigger you'll have to remove the bolt catch so I would recomend installing the bolt catch after the trigger. I will see how I like it once I get an upper built for it.

I think those are the only issues that weren't of my own making like trying to install the safety cylinder in backwords and wondering why it's not working. DOH LOL. But overall I'm very happy with pretty much all of the parts.

I'm thinking about changing the magazine release for something else just because the mil-spec part seems a little out of place on this build. If anyone has any suggestions on a good aftermarket release go ahead and make suggestions. No real reason to replace it since I can reach it without changing my grip other than it just looks out of place. LOL

Completed Lower.jpg

Completed Lower-1.jpg