• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

freedom munitions 6.5 Creedmoor

jippy1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2019
South Carolina
not sure which forum to put this in, but . . .

anybody have any experience with freedom munitions match 140gr, in 6.5 Creedmoor?
how's the accuracy / consistency ?

thx

I don't shoot 6.5, but I did get some so-called "262 77gr" from them recently to try out since Black Hills seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. If I can get out to the range soon, I'll post my results here (note: I'm not a match shooter or a sniper, just a "regular guy" who shoots, so take that for what its worth).

Reactions: Stoweit
i was not a big fan of it not as good as even the American gunner hornady ammo . I got better results from it than I did from snb ammo but not much better .it should do you well just to spank steel , and it's 100 % more fun than pointing you gun and yelling bang and a second later follow it up with yelling ding lol

i was not a big fan of it not as good as even the American gunner hornady ammo . I got better results from it than I did from snb ammo but not much better .it should do you well just to spank steel , and it's 100 % more fun than pointing you gun and yelling bang and a second later follow it up with yelling ding lol
But I never miss with that strategy

Just Friday, my FM 308 SMK shot 2625 FPS out of a 24" barrel with SD of 24 with 40 shots sampled. High was 2655 and low was 2590. My groups were all within 3/4 inch. I could hit .3 mil targets out to 600 yards consistently.

Got a couple of boxes of new 6.5 CM 140 BTHP in Norma brass, we'll see how they shoot. If they suck it's only 2 boxes. Not the dumbest financial decision I ever made I guess.

S&B 140 FMJ shoots under a half inch out of my rifle...I'd have to check if I had it over the LabRadar yet. For my 300yds and in home range, it's more than adequate. No experience with the Freedom Munitions stuff...last time I bought from them it was the Hornady 140 AG stuff...400 rds or so. I have burned up a bunch of their pistol ammo over the years.

Freedom munitions is woof..... Ive tried about 3 different loaded ammunition from them including their "match" .308 ammunition. It was pretty much garbage.

send your shitty FM 308 ammo to me. Pic shows what it does in a 15 mph crosswind at 100 yards through a savage factory barrel. And I hit .3 mil targets the rest of the day out to 600 yards. In the same wind. I’ve also got a lot of chrono data.

Attachments

• 826C9A13-8D49-4F54-8DD3-DA6616071947.jpeg
    826C9A13-8D49-4F54-8DD3-DA6616071947.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 92
I know from personal experience that the freedom munitions that went bankrupt made a bunch of dangerous ammo and then when I had issues was not interested in dealing with it. The cases were marked ammo load.

send your shitty FM 308 ammo to me. Pic shows what it does in a 15 mph crosswind at 100 yards through a savage factory barrel. And I hit .3 mil targets the rest of the day out to 600 yards. In the same wind. I’ve also got a lot of chrono data.
Long gone. This was probably 5+ years ago. Looking at a comment below yours maybe they are two different companies.

I know three different shooters that Freedom Munitions was kind enough to blow up their guns.

I wouldn’t run that shit in a factory rifle, let alone anything of decent build quality.

• Wow
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
LOL right? What’s the box look like?
Everything actually LOOKS premium (on the outside). None of it looks like "factory seconds" or .mil rejects, even.

This is some .308 BTHP Match.

Attachments

• 20210512_204548.jpg
    20210512_204548.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210512_204512.jpg
    20210512_204512.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210512_204432.jpg
    20210512_204432.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 155
I bought it last month. But I haven't seen any recent reviews on the quality.

Just a lot of mixed bag discussions on it from 1+ years ago.

Tagging in to read more current day reviews...as they are the only ones with a shit ton of stock and below the current-ass-fucking price threshold.

I've shot their 300 BLK and it was good to go. Pulled a cartridge apart and measured powder and it was within SAAMI specs. I went to them after ordering from a few hundred rounds of 300 BLK from American Marksman and my 11'5" BCM would not cycle properly. Pulled a few cartridges apart and they only had half the powder it should have. They warrantied it and when pulling a few cartridges apart they were still only at 2/3 the powder it should have had.

I've also shot their 45 acp. Freedom Munitions has been good to go and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. I will never order from American Marksman ever again.

Just Friday, my FM 308 SMK shot 2625 FPS out of a 24" barrel with SD of 24 with 40 shots sampled. High was 2655 and low was 2590. My groups were all within 3/4 inch. I could hit .3 mil targets out to 600 yards consistently.
i had the same experience. ive shot thousands of rounds of FM .40 308 223 and 300 aac all with good results.. not match ammo but definitely good enough for having fun at the range

Last edited:
I've shot their 300 BLK and it was good to go. Pulled a cartridge apart and measured powder and it was within SAAMI specs. I went to them after ordering from a few hundred rounds of 300 BLK from American Marksman and my 11'5" BCM would not cycle properly. Pulled a few cartridges apart and they only had half the powder it should have. They warrantied it and when pulling a few cartridges apart they were still only at 2/3 the powder it should have had.

I've also shot their 45 acp. Freedom Munitions has been good to go and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. I will never order from American Marksman ever again.
What is saami spec for 300 blackout powder?

I've seen ranges of 14-19 gr of powder in multiple books for supersonic load data. The supersonic rounds from American Marksman contained 10.3-10.5 gr of powder.

Last edited:
400 rounds of M118LR arrived last night. I’ll shoot this side by side with FM 308 175 SMK over next few weeks and report back.

I've seen ranges of 14-19 gr of powder in multiple books for supersonic load data. The supersonic rounds from American Marksman contained 10.3-10.5 gr of powder.

Type of powder is everything. Unless you can identify the powder you don't know anything.

did they pay for that?
Nope. They left me hight and dry. They said since it was not a factory gun there was a possibility it was built out of spec. Even though the upper came from a reputable gunsmith (HCS) and I had a couple rounds through the rifle.

Never again with Freedom. Im sure some of their ammo may group good but there is way to many people reporting over charges and blowing up guns.

When was this? Before or after they were bought out?

I'm still having reservations about shooting the stuff I have... :cautious:
Have you tried yours yet?
Was at my local shop, the only 6.5 creedmoor avail was Freedom munition 120gr soft points. so i picked up a few boxes..

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 120
Have you tried yours yet?
Was at my local shop, the only 6.5 creedmoor avail was Freedom munition 120gr soft points. so i picked up a few box.
I have a few different calibers all in boxes like that. Haven't shot a single round of it yet... 😬

I have a few different calibers all in boxes like that. Haven't shot a single round of it yet... 😬
Guess i will just keep them and wait for more guntuber review.

This is the only recent review video i have found ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIHbCu4FOY

You can have the rest of mine. I think I have 50 rounds or so.

It is from 5+ years ago. It would not chamber in my bolt guns. It would chamber in my M14 surplus barrel but was not brave enough to shoot it. It came from the period where their ammo blew up guns. I won't take money for it and I'm telling you the risks.

Freedom munitions wont ship directly to NY residents even though its 100% legal to do so. Ill never recommend anything they have.

You can have the rest of mine. I think I have 50 rounds or so.

It is from 5+ years ago. It would not chamber in my bolt guns. It would chamber in my M14 surplus barrel but was not brave enough to shoot it. It came from the period where their ammo blew up guns. I won't take money for it and I'm telling you the risks.
Good to know about their prior problems. PM sent. I’ll take them apart and see what I can find.

Reactions: Naaman
went to the range today and fired off 2 boxes of freedom munitions 6.5 CM.
my savage 110 didn't blow up. best 3 shot group i got about 1.5 MOA.
not necessary the ammo, may be the shooter since this is my first bolt gun.

went to the range today and fired off 2 boxes of freedom munitions 6.5 CM.
my savage 110 didn't blow up. best 3 shot group i got about 1.5 MOA.
not necessary the ammo, may be the shooter since this is my first bolt gun.
1.5 is respectable.

Not really

But as a new shooter maybe. Lots of variables.

Would be nice to see how OP shoots with berger ammo
I guess on a forum called snipershide, sub MOA is an appropriate standard, but there's also the reality of barrel amd ammo not liking each other (when I see "new to bolt guns," I'm assuming not enough trigger time to know how picky that barrel is, among other things, like you said).

Freedom Munitions’ 6.5 Creedmoor round in 140gr, which has a Sierra MatchKing HPBT bullet, is pretty damn good. Not quite as good as Hornady ELD-M, but the difference in price more than compensates.

That’s my conclusion after shooting about 400 rounds of it out of my AXSR this week with Jacob Bynum from Rifles Only. It is sub-MOA accurate to at least 700 yards, after which the main accuracy issue is my breathing, not the cartridge.

Freedom Munitions ammo today is, the company told me, very different from (and much better than) what it used to be. The Freedom Munitions brand came under new ownership in late 2019, when KA Cash Inc. bought the brand and certain assets out of bankruptcy. Had a long call yesterday with Trevor, FM’s head of ballistics and QC. He says the new owners changed the strategy, the business, the production process, and staff. Sounds like over time since 2019, they have developed a high-quality load in this 6.5 CM 140gr cartridge.

It’s worth giving their stuff a try.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
give it a try and post back what you think I tried eagle eye 6.5 ammo 1/2 of the 200 rounds I bought had primers that had nothing in them some shot ok much slower than they advertised and the brass they used holds a lot less powder than the hornady I am using now marked it up to an expensive learning experience .

Freedom Munitions’ 6.5 Creedmoor round in 140gr, which has a Sierra MatchKing HPBT bullet, is pretty damn good. Not quite as good as Hornady ELD-M, but the difference in price more than compensates.

That’s my conclusion after shooting about 400 rounds of it out of my AXSR this week with Jacob Bynum from Rifles Only. It is sub-MOA accurate to at least 700 yards, after which the main accuracy issue is my breathing, not the cartridge.

Freedom Munitions ammo today is, the company told me, very different from (and much better than) what it used to be. The Freedom Munitions brand came under new ownership in late 2019, when KA Cash Inc. bought the brand and certain assets out of bankruptcy. Had a long call yesterday with Trevor, FM’s head of ballistics and QC. He says the new owners changed the strategy, the business, the production process, and staff. Sounds like over time since 2019, they have developed a high-quality load in this 6.5 CM 140gr cartridge.

It’s worth giving their stuff a try.