• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Freedom Pistol

digitalshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Tempe, Az
Freedom Pistol.jpg

Freedom Pistol 2.jpg

Just finished building the Frreedom Pistol It's a sad day when you have to name an AR something like that because the goverment doesn't think you should own something. Anyway, here are the specs current specs:

Lower:

SB Tactical SBA4 Pistol Brace: Feels pretty good for a brace I guess. I've never owned an AR pistol before. If it wasn't for the NFA laws I'd just make it a SBR. Just don't feel like going through the hassle of the process. Easy to install with no problems.
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip: The grip is more for precision shooting. I love the grip for that application. Not sure how I will like it on a pistol. I will see when I'm able to get out and shoot it. Anyone have any recomendations for a pistol?
Battle Arms Development BAD EPS Pin Set: I love these pins. Not a downside to them. When installing the front pivot pin just put in the detent and spring, then put a punch through the pivot pin holes and slide the pivot pin right on. I found that method easier than using the magnet method they suggest. Not sure how the youtubers do it so easily. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Vseven Enhanced Magazine Release: The mag release is very comfortable. The button is concave so your finger sits right into it. It's very comfortable comparrrred to other mag releases. However, it does sit a little higher than other mag releases so people might not like that. But for my hand it puts my finger in a nice comfortable position that is pretty much on the same plane as my knuckle. If you're a right handed shooter you shouldn't have a problem with it catching on anything. Left handed shooters I don't know. You'd have to try it yourself. It's also in two parts. A regular magazine catch that has two holes drilled into one side and the other side doesn't have the holes. Then you screw in the paddle part of the mag release with set screws which is why your finger sits higher than normal. You are able to wiggle the paddle a little bit but doesn't wiggle on its own. So it might seem loose to you but actually isn't. Time will tell though.
Radian Arms Talon Safety: It's a great safety. It's currently in the 45 degree position and I love it. It's a great safety. No more needs to be said about it. The company gives great customer service. I bought a couple of them during their Black Friday sale. Their shipping was fast. There was an issue with their website and I accidently got double charged. I called up the next business day, they apoligized for the inconvience and told me what happened. They had my money refunded immediatly. Great customer service and great company to work with. They made a mistake, owned it and made it right immediatly. Will do business with them again.
Geissele SSA-E Trigger: It's a Geissele trigger. It's a great trigger as everyone knows.
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch: It appears to be a great bolt catch. Nice and large for easy use.
Geissele Super 42 Braided Wire and Buffer spring: Seems like a great buffer spring and buffer. Doesn't appear to have the sproing that I hate so much and sends the BCG home like it's supposed to.
Aero Precision Freedom Lower: Yes, that's the actual name of the lower, has the flag engraved on the side which is probably why they called it the Freedom Lower. Great finish and the set screw for installing the bolt catch is a very nice option. It's a slight pain installing the bolt catch because you have to keep removing the allen key every half turn but still way better than using a roll pin and punch. It's a great lower.

Upper:

Bushmaster upper reciever: I know I know, it's a Bushmaster upper receiver I had laying around and this isn't a precision build so I used it. Didn't have any manufacturing issues that prevented installing anything. Finish looks good but might be a little thin. But that's ok. I can already see some slight wear from the charging handle.
Geissele SCH Charging Handle: It's basically a clone of the Radian Raptor Charging Handle with a lip where it meets the upper to try and prevent the gas from getting into your face when running supressed. We'll see how well it works. Otherwise it works great just like the Radian Charging Handles
Ballistic Advantage 12.3" 5.56 Hanson Profile Performance Series Barrel: Finish was good and shipping was fast. Fit into the upper is ok. It's not thermal fit by any means but it's not a real sloppy and loose fit either. The finish on the inside of the barrel isn't perfect but no major imperfections that I could see. It's not a premium barrel but you don't pay the premium price of a Bartlein or Kreiger barrel either. We'll see how accuracy is, it does have a 1 moa garauntee. If I get that I'll be happy. I wish there was an option to have the barrel dimpled. But got it dimpled easily once I got through that melonite finish. Use a SLR Dimpling Jig if you need to dimple a barrel. It works great
Superlative Arms .750 Adjustable Gasblock: The finish looks great and install was normal. I do however wish it worked like the SLR gas blocks in that it clicks with every change in the settings. This one I think it only clicks when you turn it either 1/4 or 1/2 of a turn of your allen wrench. I'll see how it actually works when I start adjusting and shooting with it on. This will be the first time I've used a SA gas block.
Dead Air Flash Hider: It's a flash hider meant for their suppressors. Most of the time it will be supressed and it works well for its purpose.
Aero Precision Bolt Carrier Group: The machining and finish are good. Overall a good BCG for the price. But there is a but, the firing pin retaining pin was out of spec. The legs were spread out way to far and I couldn't get the retaining pin completely back into the bolt carrier. It would stop and the head of the pin. Nothing I could do would get it to go in. So I took the retaining pin out of another BCG I have and it went in as expected. So I've bought a KNS retaining pin to replace it with. I'm wondering how Aero got that retaining pin in the first place :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
ALG V3X Hanguard: It's a great handguard for the money. You have to time the barrel nut which I hate but the handguard isn't all that expensive so a slight annoyance. The barrel nut wrench really should have the slot for a socket wrench though. Just no reason not to have one especially since you have to purchase one seperately and it doesn't come with the handguard unless you're just trying to cut costs and be cheap IMO. But overall good quality on the handguard so far
Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x with ACSS Raptor M2 Reticle: I'll post a better review of the optic once I start shooting. But so far it looks good. I'll see how it does though. This may go between the pistol and the 18" build I'm doing. If it doesn't I'll put this one on the 18" and get a cheaper version for the pistol depending on how much I like it.

The lower is meant for a precision build that I'm waiting on the barrel for. Once I get the barrel for that this upper will be moved to a lower that I have laying around waiting to be built into something. Geisseles Black Friday sale was so good that some of the parts I bought for the 18" build that I'm doing. I'm just wanting to test this lower out. I will see how this pistol does. It'll be the first AR pistol that I've ever shot. I'll post a review of the optic once I've started shooting it.

Hopefully I can get to shooting soon.

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. The lower looks really smooth for a PSA-not a rip on them as they've been cranking out great stuff for years-it just looks to be a departure from their mil-spec only stuff. I like your barrel choice and I've considered that same hunk of glass for a while now-almost grabbed it during holidays with the 12% off coups PA ran but it was c-blocked by Doug at Cameraland giving away Bushnell 1-8.5s :D

The other day I found a selector detent pin on the floor and am now forced to do another build and I may copy some of these parts.

Nice looking rig. The lower looks really smooth for a PSA-not a rip on them as they've been cranking out great stuff for years-it just looks to be a departure from their mil-spec only stuff. I like your barrel choice and I've considered that same hunk of glass for a while now-almost grabbed it during holidays with the 12% off coups PA ran but it was c-blocked by Doug at Cameraland giving away Bushnell 1-8.5s :D

The other day I found a selector detent pin on the floor and am now forced to do another build and I may copy some of these parts.
The lower is an Aero Precision ?

Reactions: The DFC
I got the optic when Primary Arms was running a 25% off sale on them.

The lower is actually an Aero Precision lower and not a PSA lower. Not sure why I was thinking it was a PSA LOL.

Reactions: DRAM40A1
In DFCs defense he saw the post yesterday right after I posted it and for some stupid reason I said the lower was a PSA lower. So it's my fault and not his that he said it's a PSA.

This is true-and I was actually going to comment yesterday but something popped up but I had been thinking about it :ROFLMAO:

This was my first AR pistol. I used a Craddock Precision Bartlein in a Mega Maten receiver set. It’s chambered in 308 though. ?

Attachments

• 3E78CA03-A57C-458B-B102-D2F52A9445DF.jpeg
    3E78CA03-A57C-458B-B102-D2F52A9445DF.jpeg
    897 KB · Views: 32
Actually I edited the post yesterday after I reread the post and realized what I wrote. I guess I should start proof reading the posts before I hit the post button. LOL But DFC saw it so fast that he caught it before the edit. But at least I'm honest about my mistakes. :LOL:

It doesn't sound like the firing pin retaining pin is out of spec. You just have to go in with a pick or someting underneath and put s little pressure on the ends while sliding it in. If it was out if spec it wouldnt have been installed when you received the bcg.

I wish Zev Tech hadn't bought out Mega Arms. I love my Mega Arms Nickel Boron receiver set. That's a 308 with a JP 22" barrel.

I still would've used the Aero Precision Freedom set for the 18" build though. I decided to build that one when good ole Robert Francis O'Rourke said he would take away all the semi autos and the other democrats running for prez started saying similar things. Then I remembered that I had an old lower laying around doing nothing and decided I would do a more budget friendly pistol build to go along with the 18" build. Though I'm not sure how budget friendly the pistol build turned out with the Black Friday sales that happened. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

It doesn't sound like the firing pin retaining pin is out of spec. You just have to go in with a pick or someting underneath and put s little pressure on the ends while sliding it in. If it was out if spec it wouldnt have been installed when you received the bcg.

I actually have to do this with my KACs :(

Looks like I won't be able to try it out until next Sunday at the earliest. When I woke up this afternoon I had a message on my phone saying be at work for 2nd shift today and work for the guy that's been sick for the last two months and BTW, you're going to be working his shift for the next three weeks. Just my luck :mad: