• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

French FRF2 Sniper rifle

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    My nostalgia for working with the French Special Operations Forces finally got the best of me and I picked up an FRF2 sniper rifle. I have a correct APX 806 scope for it but am keeping it on my MSE clone. It turns out that the French used a number of different scopes on it throughout all branches of their military and Gendarmerie. The Nightforce NXS was used by the Air Force so I slapped one of those on until my Schmidt and Bender 6x42, as used by the Naval Commando's, arrives from Germany.

DSCN5307.JPG

DSCN5311.JPG

DSCN5312.JPG

DSCN5313.JPG

Carrying on the French Airborne tradition, French Parachutist number 525501 serial numbered wings.
    DSCN5309.JPG

French L'ecole de Aeroportee
    RickAtPanFranceAirborneSchool.jpeg

French C-160 Transall. Red bunny helmet is a French HALO jumber
    Transall c-160 pau France '88.jpg

Inside the French C-160 during jump. Practice retrieving a towed jumper.
    2016-01-16 10.52.06 - Copy - Copy.jpg

The FR-F2 is an upgrade from the earlier FR F1 sniper rifle. The rifle barrel is thermally shielded along a considerable part of the barrel by a polymer shroud. The barrel is free floated and is equipped with a flash hider.[3] It uses a different bipod-stock configuration from its predecessor, which is built just ahead of the receiver. GIAT studies lead to a new three groove conical barrel. Tapering the barrel from the throat area up to the first 100 mm of the barrel and at the muzzle end reduced barrel wear caused by propellant gasses passing the projectile in the bore.
    The rifle's manual safety is located at the rear of the trigger.[3]
    It uses 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition and is equipped with a telescopic sight.[3] French army standard issue is either an APX L806, with a bullet drop compensation calibrated for 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition from 100 to 800 m in 100 m increments, or SCROME J8 (Army) or Nightforce NXS (Air force) or Schmidt & Bender 6×42 mil-dot (Navy). Backup sights on top of the barrel shroud are standard on each F2 rifle.[3]
    The rifle is also issued as part of the FÉLIN infantry combat system outfitted with a SAGEM Sword Sniper 3-in-1 optic, which serves as a telescopic sight, thermal weapon sight, and laser rangefinder. The FR F2 utilizes the same basic bolt design as the older MAS-36 infantry rifle. The MAS-36 bolt action was however extensively modified and strengthened to reduce accuracy-inhibiting flex in the FR F1 and FR F2.

Last edited:
    I jump with a couple of French Para's at ADT. They are both excellent parachutists one is a Metro and the other RPIMa. They have a unique method of securing the chute on the drop zone .They use our method when jumping with us but they showed a few of us in the hanger how they are taught. It's actually pretty good.

My nostalgia for working with the French Special Operations Forces finally got the best of me and I picked up an FRF2 sniper rifle. I have a correct APX 806 scope for it but am keeping it on my MSE clone. It turns out that the French used a number of different scopes on it throughout all branches of their military and Gendarmerie. The Nightforce NXS was used by the Air Force so I slapped one of those on until my Schmidt and Bender 6x42, as used by the Naval Commando's, arrives from Germany.

View attachment 7828851
    View attachment 7828853

View attachment 7828855

View attachment 7828856

Carrying on the French Airborne tradition, French Parachutist number 525501 serial numbered wings.
    View attachment 7828852

French L'ecole de Aeroportee
    View attachment 7828866
    French C-160 Transall. Red bunny helmet is a French HALO jumberView attachment 7828860

Inside the French C-160 during jump. Practice retrieving a towed jumber.
    View attachment 7828862

The FR-F2 is an upgrade from the earlier FR F1 sniper rifle. The rifle barrel is thermally shielded along a considerable part of the barrel by a polymer shroud. The barrel is free floated and is equipped with a flash hider.[3] It uses a different bipod-stock configuration from its predecessor, which is built just ahead of the receiver. GIAT studies lead to a new three groove conical barrel. Tapering the barrel from the throat area up to the first 100 mm of the barrel and at the muzzle end reduced barrel wear caused by propellant gasses passing the projectile in the bore.
    The rifle's manual safety is located at the rear of the trigger.[3]
    It uses 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition and is equipped with a telescopic sight.[3] French army standard issue is either an APX L806, with a bullet drop compensation calibrated for 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition from 100 to 800 m in 100 m increments, or SCROME J8 (Army) or Nightforce NXS (Air force) or Schmidt & Bender 6×42 mil-dot (Navy). Backup sights on top of the barrel shroud are standard on each F2 rifle.[3]
    The rifle is also issued as part of the FÉLIN infantry combat system outfitted with a SAGEM Sword Sniper 3-in-1 optic, which serves as a telescopic sight, thermal weapon sight, and laser rangefinder. The FR F2 utilizes the same basic bolt design as the older MAS-36 infantry rifle. The MAS-36 bolt action was however extensively modified and strengthened to reduce accuracy-inhibiting flex in the FR F1 and FR F2.
    G'day mate, what S&B scope did you end up getting? I'm looking at more of a 3-12x50 scope allegedly used by the French police. Spoke to the S&B reps here in Australia and they suggested the "PMII 3-12x50" but did say they would contact the lads in Germany about what was actually used by the French so my F2 is as close as possible without having to use the garbage and expensive APX scope.

Reactions: Levallois
    G'day mate, what S&B scope did you end up getting? I'm looking at more of a 3-12x50 scope allegedly used by the French police. Spoke to the S&B reps here in Australia and they suggested the "PMII 3-12x50" but did say they would contact the lads in Germany about what was actually used by the French so my F2 is as close as possible without having to use the garbage and expensive APX scope.
    I have a Nightforce NXS which is correct for the Air Force used FrF2's. I put a Zeiss 1.5x6 on it for daily use. I have a S&B ALLJagd 6x42 which has the wrong reticle.

Nightforce NXS
    dscn5307-jpg.7828851

Zeiss 1.5x6
    DSCN5483.JPG
    DSCN5484.JPG

S&B LLJagd 6x42
    DSCN5482.JPG
    DSCN5485.JPG

Last edited:
    I too was going to comment on the bipod mounting position....not that I like it back there, but interesting that the French thought this gave them good stability.

I too was going to comment on the bipod mounting position....not that I like it back there, but interesting that the French thought this gave them good stability.

Would that aft mounting increase speed changing to another target, and add to mobility, at the sacrifice of stability?

Maybe it’s similar to the thinking of the MR73 sniper revolver, they wanted something that could be shot off a staircase and other odd tight positions, maybe it’s similar thinking 🤷‍♂️

Obviously the farther you can get a bipod away from a rifle's center of gravity, the more stable it will be. However, this is an overbore bipod, so it's more stable than an underbore bipod mounted in the same location. I shot one in the 90s and it seemed plenty stable to me (at least more stable than an EDM Windrunner) and I seem to remember it having a good amount of swivel and cant too.

Reactions: ZG47A
    thanks for the quick reply,

like most guys on the hide, ive tried to research about different countries but what i find most about French precision rifles are "law enforcement reviews" if anything

I have a Nightforce NXS which is correct for the Air Force used FrF2's. I put a Zeiss 1.5x6 on it for daily use. I have a S&B ALLJagd 6x42 which has the wrong reticle.

Nightforce NXS
    dscn5307-jpg.7828851

Zeiss 1.5x6View attachment 7870753View attachment 7870754

S&B LLJagd 6x42
    View attachment 7870751View attachment 7870755
    Thanks for the extra photos mate, appreciate the quick response too. Gotta say though the NF optic definitely looks the best in my opinion, dare I say it looks mean with it... Although I though the Air Force missed out on the F variants and had their own "G" variants made at a later date.

72CB983C-5059-4058-8B49-09865D5F0483.jpeg
    D084D282-2B49-4B7F-A3E3-E9D7B993C584.jpeg
    I am a new member on this forum, i am French, à have 1 frf1 and 1 frf2

The up picture it’s my FrF2 with the case bleue at from Groupement intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale GIGN
    The score is schmidt bender, 3x12-50 PM1 reticul Bryan
    The FR-2 - of French air force with the ARMS21 ring stanag mount and thé Night Force scope

Last edited:
    On your top rifle with the Schmidt Bender scope, are you using some kind of ring reducers? There appear to be some kind of insert between the scope and the rings.
    26mm scope with 26mm rings. No inserts. Maybe shadows/optical illusion.

IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    I use the original fr f2 stanag ring and the original excentric insert, the scope Schmidt bender the tube is 30mm

What's with the single round of ammo in the case? Is one used as a tool on the rifle and you wanted to make sure you always have at least one round, or is that to top off a mag once the rifle is loaded?

Very cool pics of some very cool rifles. Thanks for sharing.

What's with the single round of ammo in the case? Is one used as a tool on the rifle and you wanted to make sure you always have at least one round, or is that to top off a mag once the rifle is loaded?

Very cool pics of some very cool rifles. Thanks for sharing.

Its a sniper rifle "One shot, One Kill"

How much does the FRF2 weigh?

The sloped bottom of the forend reminds me of an AIAX. I wonder if AI drew some inspiration from the FRF2 for the AX?

That sloped bit also looks like an Arca dovetail is milled into it, even though I’m certain it’s not. Looks equally uncomfortable to hold as an Arca plate, though. I wonder why it’s that flared-out Arca shape?

in reality I do not know why there is a place to put the cartridge, I did not find in the archive documents the reasons for the place of this cartridge

Reactions: canman
    FR F 2

FR F2

Caractéristiques:

Calibre: 7,62 mm.
    Munition: 7,62 x 51.
    Longueur totale: 1,200 m.
    Longueur du canon: 0,650 m.
    Poids vide: 5,100 kg avec crosse bois, 5,300 kg avec crosse injectée.
    Capacité du magasin: 10 coups.
    Pays: France.

Description:
    Pratiquement identique au FR F 1 dans sa conception générale, le FR F 2 à été doté d'un nouveau canon chambré pour la 7,62 x 51. Il possède trois rayures à droite au pas de 295 mm.

Un levier de sécurité pivotant, situé sur la gauche du pontet.
    La boîte culasse, pièce maîtresse de l'arme supporte le canon, le fût, la crosse, on trouve également sur le dessus les glissières destinées au support de la lunette. Ce dernier permet l'adaptation de tout type de lunette de jour ou de lunette de nuit dotée d'une embase au standard OTAN. Le blocage du support s'effectuant par levier de serrage à came, ce système permet des montages et des démontages répétés sans dépointage de l'arme.

Le FR F2 est proposé en deux versions:
    La première est équipée d'un fût monobloc en bois fixé directement sur la boîte de culasse qui protège le canon et supporte le bipied rabattable à branche télescopique, et d'une crosse également en bois, qui peut être rallongée grâce à un jeu de talons amovibles d'épaisseur différente. Il est également prévu un appuie-joue.

La deuxième version reçoit un fût en matériau composite noir, il est équipé d'un tube anti calorique également en matériau composite afin d'éviter tout échauffement excessif et il élimine la formation de brume devant l'objectif de la lunette. Cette version reçoit un bipied à rotule et branches rabattables télescopique qui permettent une correction de dévers d'environ 15 degrés et le suivi des cibles mobiles d'environ trente degrés.

Sur la première version est équipée de la lunette APX L 806 modèle 1953 bis de grossissement X 3,85.

La deuxième est équipée d'une lunette de jour Hensoldt de grossissement 6x42 avec réticule servant de télémètre. Elle pèse 580 grammes, cette lunette possède un tambour de hausse de 0 à 800 mètres.

Pour le tir de nuit, le FR F2 peut recevoir une lunette à intensification de lumière Sopelem type OB 50 d'un grossissement de X 3, dotée d'un tube intensificateur de lumière de deuxième génération avec micromètre réglable en brillance.

L'alimentation est assurée par deux piles de 1,5 V garantissant une autonomie de 20 heures environ. Cette lunette permet d'effectuer des tirs jusqu'à 300 m.

FR%20F2%20-1.jpg

EN F2

Features:
    Caliber: 7.62mm.
    Ammunition: 7.62x51.
    Total length: 1,200 m.
    Barrel length: 0.650 m.
    Empty weight: 5.100 kg with wooden stock, 5.300 kg with injected stock.
    Magazine capacity: 10 rounds.

Description:
    Practically identical to the FR F 1 in its general design, the FR F 2 has been fitted with a new barrel chambered for the 7.62 x 51. It has three right-hand rifling at a pitch of 295 mm.

A pivoting safety lever, located on the left of the trigger guard.
    The breech box, the centerpiece of the weapon, supports the barrel, the barrel, the butt, we also find on the top the slides intended for the support of the telescope. The latter allows the adaptation of any type of day bezel or night bezel equipped with a NATO standard base. The blocking of the support being effected by a cam-clamping lever, this system allows repeated assembly and disassembly without misalignment of the weapon.

The FR F2 is offered in two versions:
    The first is equipped with a one-piece wooden barrel fixed directly to the breech box which protects the barrel and supports the folding bipod with telescopic branch, and a butt also in wood, which can be lengthened thanks to a set of heels removable of different thickness. A cheek rest is also provided.

The second version has a shaft in black composite material, it is equipped with an anti-caloric tube also in composite material in order to avoid any excessive heating and it eliminates the formation of mist in front of the lens of the telescope. This version receives a bipod with ball joint and telescopic folding branches which allow a tilt correction of approximately 15 degrees and the follow-up of the moving targets of approximately thirty degrees.

The first version is equipped with the APX L 806 model 1953 bis telescope with 3.85X magnification.

The second is equipped with a Hensoldt daytime telescope of 6x42 magnification with a reticle serving as a rangefinder. It weighs 580 grams, this telescope has an elevation drum from 0 to 800 meters.

For night shooting, the FR F2 can be fitted with a Sopelem type OB 50 light intensifying telescope with a magnification of X 3, equipped with a second generation light intensifier tube with adjustable brightness micrometer.

Power is supplied by two 1.5 V batteries guaranteeing an autonomy of approximately 20 hours. This telescope allows shooting up to 300 m.

Last edited:
    View attachment 7881508
    Thé différent betwen stock of MSE original and the stock of 49/56 copy bricolage maison to MSE
    I've got two 49/56's. One in 7,5 and one in 7.62. They both function well but the 7,5 is more accurate. I'd like to find a 7,5 barrel and get it back to original. I've long since given up on finding one here in the States. Anything imported here got ruined by CAI or is on a working rifle I keep looking on www.naturabuy.fr although that seems to be a pipe dream also.

Last edited:
    FR F 2

FR F2

Caractéristiques:

Calibre: 7,62 mm.
    Munition: 7,62 x 51.
    Longueur totale: 1,200 m.
    Longueur du canon: 0,650 m.
    Poids vide: 5,100 kg avec crosse bois, 5,300 kg avec crosse injectée.
    Capacité du magasin: 10 coups.
    Pays: France.

Description:
    Pratiquement identique au FR F 1 dans sa conception générale, le FR F 2 à été doté d'un nouveau canon chambré pour la 7,62 x 51. Il possède trois rayures à droite au pas de 295 mm.

Un levier de sécurité pivotant, situé sur la gauche du pontet.
    La boîte culasse, pièce maîtresse de l'arme supporte le canon, le fût, la crosse, on trouve également sur le dessus les glissières destinées au support de la lunette. Ce dernier permet l'adaptation de tout type de lunette de jour ou de lunette de nuit dotée d'une embase au standard OTAN. Le blocage du support s'effectuant par levier de serrage à came, ce système permet des montages et des démontages répétés sans dépointage de l'arme.

Le FR F2 est proposé en deux versions:
    La première est équipée d'un fût monobloc en bois fixé directement sur la boîte de culasse qui protège le canon et supporte le bipied rabattable à branche télescopique, et d'une crosse également en bois, qui peut être rallongée grâce à un jeu de talons amovibles d'épaisseur différente. Il est également prévu un appuie-joue.

La deuxième version reçoit un fût en matériau composite noir, il est équipé d'un tube anti calorique également en matériau composite afin d'éviter tout échauffement excessif et il élimine la formation de brume devant l'objectif de la lunette. Cette version reçoit un bipied à rotule et branches rabattables télescopique qui permettent une correction de dévers d'environ 15 degrés et le suivi des cibles mobiles d'environ trente degrés.

Sur la première version est équipée de la lunette APX L 806 modèle 1953 bis de grossissement X 3,85.

La deuxième est équipée d'une lunette de jour Hensoldt de grossissement 6x42 avec réticule servant de télémètre. Elle pèse 580 grammes, cette lunette possède un tambour de hausse de 0 à 800 mètres.

Pour le tir de nuit, le FR F2 peut recevoir une lunette à intensification de lumière Sopelem type OB 50 d'un grossissement de X 3, dotée d'un tube intensificateur de lumière de deuxième génération avec micromètre réglable en brillance.

L'alimentation est assurée par deux piles de 1,5 V garantissant une autonomie de 20 heures environ. Cette lunette permet d'effectuer des tirs jusqu'à 300 m.

FR%20F2%20-1.jpg
    Perhaps the Google auto translation I am running is doing me a disservice (both upon your cut-paste text and the site you linked to) as there is no mention of the part I am curious about.

Maybe I am miscommunicating?

This the flange I am confused about. Why does it stick out? Looks very uncomfortable.
    A82D0982-63A3-4953-AEA0-E621CA313018.jpeg

If you don’t know, no big deal. Sorry for all the questions.

You know, it could be a trick of the light? Maybe that piece isn’t a triangle-shaped flange at all, and is instead a radiused/rounded edge. It just looks sharp in all the pics I’ve seen in this thread and others.

Perhaps the Google auto translation I am running is doing me a disservice (both upon your cut-paste text and the site you linked to) as there is no mention of the part I am curious about.

Maybe I am miscommunicating?

This the flange I am confused about. Why does it stick out? Looks very uncomfortable.
    View attachment 7881552

If you don’t know, no big deal. Sorry for all the questions.
    It is simply a rest designed as part of the handguard. It is a triangular wedge with a flat bottom and radiused edge .
    252489426_2436842806468856_1332143544305134779_n.jpg

morgan-frf2-18.jpg