• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Friend asked to take him shooting the next day then goes out drinking without inviting me

ArmedGinger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2018
BC, Canada
Bunny.jpg

Revenge was mine, sweet sweet revenge! How is your headache now? BWAHAHAHAHA!

It's your duty to get more non commie people into guns and shooting.

WGAF if they don't go drinking with you the next day.

It's your duty to get more non commie people into guns and shooting.

WGAF if they don't go drinking with you the next day.

If you are taking to me well let me tell you WTF. I am absolutely sure I have gotten more people "into" guns than 95% of the regulars on this site. Now into guns and into shooting are 2 totally different things. I have at least 8 "friends" who I have gotten to purchase various guns in the last 15ish years, all have gotten at least 1 AR. Most have over 8 guns. That is no small investment so at one time they thought it was cool. I can think of only 2 that have had a gun out of their safe in the last 2 years. (I got them to get safes as well).
All I want to do everyday is hold a gun and burn some gun powder. If I did not work and had the facilities I am sure I would shoot on a daily basis. It is hard for the average person to keep up with that.
I do work, and good facilities are at least 1 hour away. There are a dozen indoor ranges within 40 minutes but 1 and I repeat only 1 is worth a shit and most times has a wait of at least an hour. The facilities are worth it though.
With that, it is a 1/2 day minimum to go shooting with me. Most would go for an hour once in awhile but all day more than once a year seems to be to much to ask from a friend.
Next there is the ammo cost. After a day of shooting you add up ammo cost and it can be significant. I talk to them all the time and they say "if you see any good prices let me know". So today I sent them a link from this thread.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/psa-cci-minimags-13-99-300-rds.6911019/#post-7333491
I got back 5 responses "damn that is a great price I need to order some". I called, not texted all 5 after work, you know how many ordered some? 0 did, all of them said they were to busy today. Holy fuck me, 5 minutes on your phone and the shit comes to your front door. I am fucking done with them.
I got one guy who started bugging me a couple months ago, so I took him to the gun store and he bought his first AR. His budget was a little low but we got him set up.
We went out for 1/2 a day the next weekend, he kept bugging so a couple weeks ago I took him to a really nice 1000 yard range about 2 1/2 hours away. left the house at 6am got home at 9pm. Each spent about $30 on food, about $40 each on fuel and vehicle cost (tires, oil, Ect..... fuel isn't the only cost), range fee was $10 each, I spent around $200 on ammo, I am sure he spent $300. He was shooting cheaper stuff than me but I am sure he shot 5 rounds for every round I shot. Lets just call it a $700 day, he hasn't bugged me since and even said at the end "that was fun, but it isn't cheap". And that is how it goes, I turn them on but they can not run with me, either time wise or $$$ wise. I am not rich, I could do a trip like that 2 time a month though. I did spend a little less than him, also a 22lr trainer could cut costs.
I do a USPSA match 1 time a month, that is a good $150 day.
I used to rotate between friends and see if 1 could go 1 time a month every 8 months. Yea they still bitch about the time and money (I am sure part of it is their spouse, bitching in their ear).
But the worst is after all that, never getting invited to shit they do. I get "all you ever want to do is go shooting". While that is true, I would go do something with them. I think the real issue is, if that happens then they will feel obligated to go with me.
I am finally getting my wife to slowly become my shooting partner. I think that is mostly because she loves me and sees how much I love shooting AND how my "friends" have shit on me over time when it comes to my hobby. (you have no idea how many shooting trips were canceled with in 30 minutes of pickup time)
First of this year I said fuck it and mostly quit talking about guns around my friends. But I still have hope or I would not have sent them links for the ammo today. But that will be the last for awhile.
It seems to be a one-way street with most people.
One other thing that I have noticed. Most of them seem to think that once you have put 200-500 rounds down range you are now proficient. If you are not burning at least 1000rds a year (which is less than 20 rds a week) you are not practicing enough if you ask me. Also they all have their CCW permits. I can promise you none of them has fired a shot out of their carry gun in 2 years. Only one carries on a regular basis. They think they are ready though.
At the end of the year I should be around 5000 rds (many calibers, cartridges) and wife will be 1500 9mm or so.

Last edited:
This was posted as a light hearted story. Shouldn't be taken so seriously guys. He bugged me for weeks to go and when I finally had the time I said I would do it today. Why GAF if he went out drinking without me? Don't really do, but it meant that I wasn't hung over with a pounding headache at the range. If I had gone out drinking with him I probably wouldn't have gone out shooting today.

I'm with you.

I stopped counting the amount of people I've ran into over the years who wanted to go shooting with me (their idea; I dont even bring it up) and go on and on about it, yet they never go and/or its bullshit excuse after bullshit excuse.

Bonus points if they keep talking about wanting to go shooting or learning how to really shoot yet then constantly having something to do and keep not being able to go shooting (while they don't even tell you they are busy) and then text you pictures of cheap piece of shit guns they bought over the weekend; one guy did this to me and I texted him back, 'Dont fucking text me again until you have 500 rounds through those new guns'.

I have yet to hear from that faggot, and that was a year and a half ago.

At first I'd offer to show them how to do something specific, or learn how to get out to 1k, or learn how to correctly spot or run drills or whatever. I basically caught myself chasing people to take them out to do them a favor on probably my dime. Fuck that. Fuck them; this is why I bring this shit up to absolutely no one. I am definitely not the one benefiting in this scenario.

Then there's the time when I used to go shooting with this one guy 2-3 times a week. Ran drills with carb/pistol on some days, slowly got him up to speed on squad drills and night time shooting. Did distance on weekends. He broke the first rule and told someone I sort of knew about it, who then brought 2 of his friends who learned everything they knew about shooting from the latest installment of Call of Duty.

They all show up with what looked like someone got lubed up and got dragged through a Tapco magazine. Whatever, lets show you whats what and maybe you'll learn something. When 2 of them realized running drills is hard physical work and that me taking them out shooting didn't mean I was going to do backflips while shooting full auto dual wielded shotguns and throwing smoke grenades from helicopters, their gangster meter went to zero. One of these faggots actually quit mid drill and then went and sat on the side of a hill the rest of the time because one of the other guys was his ride; didn't even try and would rather sit on a rock in the dirt for 2 hours.

Everybody wants to be a gangster until its time to do gangster shit.

When I got into handloading I found a sweet deal on a 550 with a bunch of extra toolheads and powder measures that I had no use for. A couple texts later and I have a bunch buddies that want to chip in on it and start handloading. 4 days later when the press shows up guess how many guys forgot all about it, and guess who bought a bunch of toolheads he couldn't afford at the time.

I've learned over the last couple years that the only shooting friends worth having are the ones you meet at matches, because they were already doing what you like before you came along.

That and my 3 sons, they're awesome shooting buddies....

Fuck him. I quit asking friends to go shooting/hunting. And my life is better for it.

That's no shit... I've hunted/been shooting/wheeled solo more often this year than ever before, and it's fuckin' great.

Beer lasts longer. Food is free (kill it or don't eat). 0 fuckin' whining, ever, about anything. 100% dedication to everything I want to do/accomplish.

And in them shit situations where a friend would be really nice to have at that point, nothing but grit and perseverance to get you through. 'Course, friends that are equal kinda bump things up a notch, but people that equal me are hard to find.

Only ever found shit like that in Marine infantry. Some of them are pretty damn solid.

Oh, and old motherfuckers, too. Some of them are far more solid than me.

This was posted as a light hearted story. Shouldn't be taken so seriously guys. He bugged me for weeks to go and when I finally had the time I said I would do it today. Why GAF if he went out drinking without me? Don't really do, but it meant that I wasn't hung over with a pounding headache at the range. If I had gone out drinking with him I probably wouldn't have gone out shooting today.
You hit a nerve if you can't tell.

Reactions: TripleBull
You hit a nerve if you can't tell.

So I see,

I go through a lot of ammo every year taking people shooting. Most people around here if they shoot at all, shoot old hunting rifles. I generally bring in guns that they may never have a chance to shoot and I cover the costs of the ammo myself (unless someone offers).

I went to a match a couple of states over that happened to be right near a friend I don’t see often, so I stayed with him. We cooked dinner and had a few drinks, and it really got away from me like it hasn’t in a long time. I woke up, and could not believe how hung over I was. I thought I was going to suck, but I shot pretty good. I will say though, stage 5 was a cattle gate, wrong side, wrong eye, and I thought I might puke shooing it. For whatever reason it gave me vertigo hung over, but that’s the only place I think I dropped shots! :p

We shoot a lot . This year we have already shot 5000 rounds of 9mm , plus a few thousand rounds of .223 and a few thousand 7.62 x 39mm and few other calibers . Have a range on my property . Wife and sons shoot too.

We get lots of requests from people to shoot . who we meet at social gatherings . Also get a lot of people who are not shooters , but want to learn . Phone numbers are exchanged or emails .
That's usually the end of it . Until you run into the same people at another party. Then the shooting conversation is renewed and I am always encouraging and tell them absolutely come and shoot . Just give me a call.
I believe many people are intimidated and don't want to be embarrassed by their lack of knowledge or skill level.
Women will admit this readily. Guys not so much. I am always reassuring that shooting is fun and everybody has to start somewhere and its a perishable skill , so don't worry if you haven't shot before or in a while.

The few who do show up usually have a good time and are very excited about shooting. We have changed some outlooks on guns and gun culture for some people .
I have found the same kind of behavior in people and interest in martial arts . Like someone else said everybody wants to be a bad ass, doing badass stuff . Until it actually comes down to putting in the time and effort.

Have had some guys talk some smack about their skills , only to show up and suck . I give them a bit of shit about it and then help them out with a bit of knowledge .
I have found that the guys who are already gun people are usually collectors and not shooters. Those are the guys that are annoying to me . They always want to get together and shoot . You make the date and then its excuse time and or can we make it another day ?
When and if they finally make it . They can't stay long or they talk far more then shoot .

No matter how many times I play this social game . I always play the shooting ambassador .
We need all the people we can get . I have probably introduced a hundred plus people to shooting in the last few years.
Quite a few women .
I have converted some just hunting gun guys into AR/Ak guys .
Got some guys to join political action gun groups .
No matter what your shooting/gun friends do to piss you off . Always remember them when its time to fight the anti gunners .
Its going to get real ugly for us in the next legislative session.

It's going to get ugly for Trump if he doesn't unsheathe his "VETO" stamp, and our Senators if they don't unsheathe their red Sharpies. I pay them to repeal laws, rescind regulations, and to stop all the shit the left tries to do. I do not pay them to "get things done" as the MSM and other assorted morons are so wont to say.

Reactions: samadisoulcrusher
Fuck him. I quit asking friends to go shooting/hunting. And my life is better for it.

I think they're related to the folks who show up at club meetings and say, "You guys should start running X competitions." I tell them to submit a plan to the board and if it is feasible we'll allow them to move forward. In the dozen or so years I've sat on the board, no one has moved past the suggestion phase.

Only ever found shit like that in Marine infantry. Some of them are pretty damn solid.

It is no coincidence, I think, that the most reliable, solid, and hard core shooting partner I've ever had is a former Marine infantryman. No whining and never an excuse out of his mouth.

There is this one guy at work who talked a good game. I took him to an IDPA match once and from then on he always had an excuse when I asked if he wanted to shoot/go to a match. But he always has pics of this new pistol or whatever that he bought. He tried to ask me all kinds of advice about building a Gucci AR and pretty much told him to leave me alone that I'm not interested debating which is the best charging handle or if nitriding is better than something else. Now after he built the rifle, he's asking me about the best 300 blackout barrel for it. Like I give one single fuck......

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
LOL! yeah, I'd say this struck a nerve with folks...

For me, the worst is the people you run into that sport NF stickers and stuff on their laptops. When asked about them, they respond "I shoot long range"...only to find out the range they belong to is 300yds max. Smh...

When you invite them to shoot out to a half mile (which is admittedly not that very far) all of a sudden their social calendar is booked, and they can never make it out. Sigh....everyone wants to be SAF until its time to do SAF shit...

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
It is no coincidence, I think, that the most reliable, solid, and hard core shooting partner I've ever had is a former Marine infantryman. No whining and never an excuse out of his mouth.

There is this one guy at work who talked a good game. I took him to an IDPA match once and from then on he always had an excuse when I asked if he wanted to shoot/go to a match. But he always has pics of this new pistol or whatever that he bought. He tried to ask me all kinds of advice about building a Gucci AR and pretty much told him to leave me alone that I'm not interested debating which is the best charging handle or if nitriding is better than something else. Now after he built the rifle, he's asking me about the best 300 blackout barrel for it. Like I give one single fuck......

Those are my favorite ones to fuck with, all you have to do is recommend the most expensive shit you can find or think of and tell them anything less is garbage. They stop asking pretty soon after that.

I never take anyone to the range, I am there for a solid 6 hrs. I just meet people there, if they want to shoot great, I have some stuff for you. If they don't show up, well great I have my own agenda so it will work out better for me anyway.

Besides there is only 1 person you can count on in life.

If you are taking to me well let me tell you WTF. I am absolutely sure I have gotten more people "into" guns than 95% of the regulars on this site. Now into guns and into shooting are 2 totally different things. I have at least 8 "friends" who I have gotten to purchase various guns in the last 15ish years, all have gotten at least 1 AR. Most have over 8 guns. That is no small investment so at one time they thought it was cool. I can think of only 2 that have had a gun out of their safe in the last 2 years. (I got them to get safes as well).
All I want to do everyday is hold a gun and burn some gun powder. If I did not work and had the facilities I am sure I would shoot on a daily basis. It is hard for the average person to keep up with that.
I do work, and good facilities are at least 1 hour away. There are a dozen indoor ranges within 40 minutes but 1 and I repeat only 1 is worth a shit and most times has a wait of at least an hour. The facilities are worth it though.
With that, it is a 1/2 day minimum to go shooting with me. Most would go for an hour once in awhile but all day more than once a year seems to be to much to ask from a friend.
Next there is the ammo cost. After a day of shooting you add up ammo cost and it can be significant. I talk to them all the time and they say "if you see any good prices let me know". So today I sent them a link from this thread.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/psa-cci-minimags-13-99-300-rds.6911019/#post-7333491
I got back 5 responses "damn that is a great price I need to order some". I called, not texted all 5 after work, you know how many ordered some? 0 did, all of them said they were to busy today. Holy fuck me, 5 minutes on your phone and the shit comes to your front door. I am fucking done with them.
I got one guy who started bugging me a couple months ago, so I took him to the gun store and he bought his first AR. His budget was a little low but we got him set up.
We went out for 1/2 a day the next weekend, he kept bugging so a couple weeks ago I took him to a really nice 1000 yard range about 2 1/2 hours away. left the house at 6am got home at 9pm. Each spent about $30 on food, about $40 each on fuel and vehicle cost (tires, oil, Ect..... fuel isn't the only cost), range fee was $10 each, I spent around $200 on ammo, I am sure he spent $300. He was shooting cheaper stuff than me but I am sure he shot 5 rounds for every round I shot. Lets just call it a $700 day, he hasn't bugged me since and even said at the end "that was fun, but it isn't cheap". And that is how it goes, I turn them on but they can not run with me, either time wise or $$$ wise. I am not rich, I could do a trip like that 2 time a month though. I did spend a little less than him, also a 22lr trainer could cut costs.
I do a USPSA match 1 time a month, that is a good $150 day.
I used to rotate between friends and see if 1 could go 1 time a month every 8 months. Yea they still bitch about the time and money (I am sure part of it is their spouse, bitching in their ear).
But the worst is after all that, never getting invited to shit they do. I get "all you ever want to do is go shooting". While that is true, I would go do something with them. I think the real issue is, if that happens then they will feel obligated to go with me.
I am finally getting my wife to slowly become my shooting partner. I think that is mostly because she loves me and sees how much I love shooting AND how my "friends" have shit on me over time when it comes to my hobby. (you have no idea how many shooting trips were canceled with in 30 minutes of pickup time)
First of this year I said fuck it and mostly quit talking about guns around my friends. But I still have hope or I would not have sent them links for the ammo today. But that will be the last for awhile.
It seems to be a one-way street with most people.
One other thing that I have noticed. Most of them seem to think that once you have put 200-500 rounds down range you are now proficient. If you are not burning at least 1000rds a year (which is less than 20 rds a week) you are not practicing enough if you ask me. Also they all have their CCW permits. I can promise you none of them has fired a shot out of their carry gun in 2 years. Only one carries on a regular basis. They think they are ready though.
At the end of the year I should be around 5000 rds (many calibers, cartridges) and wife will be 1500 9mm or so.

Ever own a boat ? :rolleyes::cry:

Not this guy. If you engage him in any way that seems positive to him, he takes off with it and won't leave you the fuck alone.

Just for context, he's hourly and I'm salary. Because of that, I don't take lunch and breaks on a set schedule like he does. He would, at least once a week, stop by my office during his breaks or lunch and walk right in to talk guns or show me pics of whatever shit he bought that week with no consideration of my time. I finally had to tell him point blank: don't walk into my office to talk shit. If I'm in there, it's because I'm working. He's socially retarded and has no friends because he can't read neither people nor situations, AT ALL.

A clinger if there ever was one, got it.
A good example for the need of shock collars in the work place ?

A friend with a boat is better than a boat. I always make sure I pay for the gas and bait. Free loaders are the worst.

When I had my select fire M-16 all sorts of people would want to shoot it. I would say, "sure, bring however much ammo you want to shoot". Usually they would show up with 1-3 boxes (20-60 rounds) of ammo, and it would be gone in a heartbeat, then they would look at me as if I was supposed to supply more. I could count on one hand the number of people who brought enough ammo for themselves, AND left me some ammo to take home. The ones that sent me home with a few boxes got lots more subsequent invitations.

I try and go out of my way to not abuse a kindness or friendship. If someone drives to the range and I get the luxury of being a passenger, I will donate a bunch more toward gas money than I know it took to complete the round trip, or buy lunch, or both.

Getting labeled as a "one way" (always takes, rarely gives) was a sure fire way to end up wondering why people always leave you home when the group goes on fun outings. OTOH, the guy who buys lunch gets remembered with good thoughts.

I must say, I am not the badass some here are. Putting more effort in than most outside this forum though.

I know many here are married to some awesome women. That can make or break a man's spirit if you ask me. I know wife's that bitch about how many guns their husband's own or how much ammo. "Why do we need more than 2 guns or 2 boxes of ammo"? Yet they have a closet FULL of shoes they never wear.

Here is a story that still boggles my mind.

15ish years ago we all got together, made big plans, everyone made concessions to sync our schedules for one day. One damn day. There was 10-12 of us.

Plan was to go shooting\jack rabbit hunting. It takes a good 70 min to get to jack rabbit area. Final destination was about 2 1/2hrs away with no stops. So 5 hrs drive time round trip.

We would stop at various locations on the way, look for rabbits and then move on. Final destination we would look for rabbits, cook a meal and then target shoot for awhile.

We left at 6am, got to final destination about 2pm. We get out of the vehicles and one guy says " what time is it?" Someone says "after 2".
First guy says "oh fuck me"
A few ask "WTF"
He says "I told my wife I would be home by noon"

WTFx2, you could just barely leave the house, tag a tree at destination and haul ass back and be home by noon, leaving at 6am.

We told him tough shit, but by 5:30-6:00pm 3-4 others were bitching about being gone all day. We got home about 10pm.

That was the beginning of the end. We never went again as a group of more than 3. Guy who was 10hrs late getting home almost got a divorce. I nor any of us ever saw him again. He was not allowed to be with us.
In fact I have not seen at least 5 of those guys in over 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleBull
That was the beginning of the end. We never went again as a group of more than 3. Guy who was 10hrs late getting home almost got a divorce. I nor any of us ever saw him again. He was not allowed to be with us.

That is a sad story, man. Hate to see all these guys with their balls in someone's purse.

I must say, I am not the badass some here are. Putting more effort in than most outside this forum though.

I know many here are married to some awesome women. That can make or break a man's spirit if you ask me. I know wife's that bitch about how many guns their husband's own or how much ammo. "Why do we need more than 2 guns or 2 boxes of ammo"? Yet they have a closet FULL of shoes they never wear.

Here is a story that still boggles my mind.

15ish years ago we all got together, made big plans, everyone made concessions to sync our schedules for one day. One damn day. There was 10-12 of us.

Plan was to go shooting\jack rabbit hunting. It takes a good 70 min to get to jack rabbit area. Final destination was about 2 1/2hrs away with no stops. So 5 hrs drive time round trip.

We would stop at various locations on the way, look for rabbits and then move on. Final destination we would look for rabbits, cook a meal and then target shoot for awhile.

We left at 6am, got to final destination about 2pm. We get out of the vehicles and one guy says " what time is it?" Someone says "after 2".
First guy says "oh fuck me"
A few ask "WTF"
He says "I told my wife I would be home by noon"

WTFx2, you could just barely leave the house, tag a tree at destination and haul ass back and be home by noon, leaving at 6am.

We told him tough shit, but by 5:30-6:00pm 3-4 others were bitching about being gone all day. We got home about 10pm.

More common than you might think....or, than most are willing to admit. The wife and I are going to be celebrating 35 years of marriage on New Year's eve. We're 62 and have gotten to the point where each of us has had more than enough rope to hang ourselves a long time ago, if we were/are so inclined. Neither of us has ever been inclined.

I'm one of the duller tools in the shed and it took me a long time to figure out that a lot of the "laying down the law" from the woman was in many cases, due to fundamental insecurity. Primarily, the insecurity of possibly being abandonded, shunned and her being left to fend for herself in the world. Terrible way to go through life feeling as though that might happen. But it does, all too often. In many cases, the woman pushes the man into it. In that case, I have no sympathy for her and I do sympathize with him. In other cases, the man was going to cat around and not honor his vows and committments to her anyway. I have the utmost sympathy for her and none for him. Both my father and my father in law played around on my mother and mother in law. I saw first hand what it did to them. I vowed I would never do that to my wife, even before she and I ever met.

It has taken a great deal of trust to get to the point where my wife and I are. We were and are lucky, becasue like most people, the numbers weren't in our favor. And, we fully realize we're not unique or special in that regard. I am an open book with my wife and if she ever decided to go off the deep end, I'd be screwed. On the other hand, we have been through a lot over the years, have always stood by each other and have become each other's best friend. Friendships like our's are hard to come by, require constant courtesy, consideration, attention, fragile and should be treated with the utmost respect. It just takes a lot of work by both parties to make it work. Trust comes with sacrafice sometimes and there has been some of that thrown into the mix over the years as well.

Last edited:
A friend with a boat is better than a boat. I always make sure I pay for the gas and bait. Free loaders are the worst.
so I have owned a boat of some brand for 25 years. Outside of my brothers only 1 has ever paid for gas and he has a business that needs write offs so he always jumps at it. I guess I don't care, someone other than I paid finally.
I don't take people out, I don't ask, I don't tell them when I am even thinking about going. Most of the time its last minute anyway from just reading the weather.
People always want a handout, kind of sick of people.

When I had my select fire M-16 all sorts of people would want to shoot it. I would say, "sure, bring however much ammo you want to shoot". Usually they would show up with 1-3 boxes (20-60 rounds) of ammo, and it would be gone in a heartbeat, then they would look at me as if I was supposed to supply more. I could count on one hand the number of people who brought enough ammo for themselves, AND left me some ammo to take home. The ones that sent me home with a few boxes got lots more subsequent invitations.

I try and go out of my way to not abuse a kindness or friendship. If someone drives to the range and I get the luxury of being a passenger, I will donate a bunch more toward gas money than I know it took to complete the round trip, or buy lunch, or both.

Getting labeled as a "one way" (always takes, rarely gives) was a sure fire way to end up wondering why people always leave you home when the group goes on fun outings. OTOH, the guy who buys lunch gets remembered with good thoughts.

I have a friend who likes to ride. If we travel to a match he will buy breakfast and lunch, pay my entry fee and drop a twenty somewhere so I'll find later. I keep telling him it's way too much, but that's the type guy he is. Don't have many friends like him.

Reactions: samadisoulcrusher
I have a friend who likes to ride. If we travel to a match he will buy breakfast and lunch, pay my entry fee and drop a twenty somewhere so I'll find later. I keep telling him it's way too much, but that's the type guy he is. Don't have many friends like him.

Heh, I do that, too. Side door cubbies, battery compartments, shit that doesn't get looked through often, but when it does finding money is nice =)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I no longer offer to teach anyone to shoot and politely find a way to decline requests to do so.

The few times that I tried years ago almost always ended with me cutting off the lesson short when the other person could not grasp simple concepts like keeping the finger off the fucking trigger.

First, I have no patience. Second, I have a really short fuse when people ignore what I ask them to do when we're playing by my terms/rules. I was rudely reminded of my character flaws when I attempted to teach my kid how to drive.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
“Let’s go to the range!”
“Sure, tell me when”
“...”

Its an old story, and one I get regularly.

“Hey, babe, XYZ likes guns. Y’all should go to the range...”
“(Ugh) Yeah, we should. I’ll talk to him...”

I’ve got a buddy that bills himself as a “gun guy.” He’s got a nice custom bolt rifle that I’m not sure has ever been shot. I’ve been shooting a local precision match for a few months and I invite him to come along most months.

“Bring your gun. Shoot my gun. I’ll pay your match fee. Let’s get out there and shoot something.”
“Well, My wife is working and I have to watch the kid Saturday.”
“What do you thing I’m doing? Bring him along. There’s enough room in the truck for both of you.”
“Yeah ok. When is it?”
“I’ll pick you up at 5.”
“...”

I don’t go shooting with people. I’m not there to socialize. I have an agenda. Guys that gab (but don’t shoot) at the range remind me of guys that gab (but don’t lift) at the gym. Why the fuck are you here?

“Can you come to the range and help me sight in my rifle? I’ve got a big hunt coming up?”
“Nope, but give me your rifle and 3 boxes of ammunition- all same lot- and I’ll sigh it in for you.”
“Why so much ammo?”
“Because I’ll get it dialed in with a few shots. I’ll shoot a nice group to show you what the rifle is capable of. You’ll then have 40(ish) rounds, all from the same lot, that will last the rest of your life.”
“...”

“Can you load up some ammo for me?”
“Sure. How long can you be without your rifle? Because I’ll need it. And, I don’t load for that caliber, so you’ll need to supply the dies. And, the brass- either new or shot through YOUR gun. And bullets. And powder. And primers.”
“...”

I only offer to teach people's kids to shoot anymore. It didn't take me long to figure out that way more people talk about wanting to shoot than actually want to shoot. Kids that won't be exposed to guns any other way? Hell yeah, I'll gladly take him or her out. That kid is going to vote in the not too distant future and I have a chance to unstuff his/her ears before the MSM teaches them that we're terrorists and guns are evil. Well worth the price of ammo.

Why did you get rid of your m16? I rarely shoot mine and like long range stuff better but it is nice to have.

Why did you get rid of your m16? I rarely shoot mine and like long range stuff better but it is nice to have.
I can’t speak for Unknown but I’ll offer this. They say “a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.” I imagine machine guns are similar. The best two days in a boat owner’s life? The day he buys it and the day he sells it. At least with transferable machine guns, the day he sells it is most likely not at a loss. Let someone else turn money into noise...

I don’t go shooting with people. I’m not there to socialize. I have an agenda. Guys that gab (but don’t shoot) at the range remind me of guys that gab (but don’t lift) at the gym. Why the fuck are you here?
When it comes to rifles and handguns, agree with one exception. He's a solid shooter who's idea of going to the range is the same as mine: to shoot and to improve.

“Can you come to the range and help me sight in my rifle?
Sorry, I have a root canal scheduled

“Can you load up some ammo for me?”
FUCK NO. That's another one I forgot. I once agreed to help a guy learn to reload. He thought I was his Q&A guy whenever he felt like it, despite repeated hints on where to find 95% of his answers (reloading manual). I ghosted that idiot. NEver the fuck again.

Reactions: MarinePMI
“Let’s go to the range!”
“Sure, tell me when”
“...”

Its an old story, and one I get regularly.

“Hey, babe, XYZ likes guns. Y’all should go to the range...”
“(Ugh) Yeah, we should. I’ll talk to him...”

I’ve got a buddy that bills himself as a “gun guy.” He’s got a nice custom bolt rifle that I’m not sure has ever been shot. I’ve been shooting a local precision match for a few months and I invite him to come along most months.

Yeah, worse yet is when one of them is an editor at a Gun Rag, and they think they know more than they actually do. You find yourself just nodding and smiling....

Yeah, the reloading one is pretty classic. A lot of the new shooters/reloaders don't seem to know how to read a reloading manual. You get the millenial "Oh, I don't learn that way. " when you mention that people were in fact paid to write this information down in a book. (And this is after loaning them a reloading manual.)

You get the millenial "Oh, I don't learn that way. "

I was never given a choice on how I was to be taught. Not in grammar school, not in middle school, not in high school, not at the Naval Academy, not in any Navy school I ever was sent to, not in grad school, and not at any job I've ever had.

Millenials with that excuse can choke on a cock.

Reactions: MarinePMI