• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FrogLube and/vs. Precision Barrels

David S

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Hi Hiders,

Perhaps it's just an overabundance of caution on my part, but I decided I should post my question here for the experts to answer.

I've been tinkering with the FrogLube paste lately. I love it plenty in my shotgun and handgun, but have not yet put any in the bore of my .308. Does anyone know, is FrogLube 100% "accuracy safe" in a competition barrel? Since it actually seasons the metal, my fear is that when it sweats out onto the surface during operation, it might do so a bit unevenly, which could affect accuracy.

Does anyone here know for sure? GTG or stay away? Thanks much for any advice.

Yours,

David

Re: FrogLube and/vs. Precision Barrels

IMO the bore should be dry when using the rifle. Liquid and high pressure are not compatible.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO the bore should be dry when using the rifle. Liquid and high pressure are not compatible.

Good luck

Jerry</div></div>

Not to mention Pascal's Principle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are do you want to use it?

I'm not trying to be an ass but I don't really see any benefit.</div></div>
Hi Mike, hi Jerry,

No great special reason; I was told by a shooting buddy that the bore should be lightly oiled, so I figured I might try it out. From what both of you say, though, I infer that that's actually a terrible idea.

Thanks much to both of you for the help!

Yours,

David

djs,

No Frog-lube, no Kroil to lube the bore. None after, either. If you do oil the bore for corrosion protection, clean it out before shooting the rifle. If you want to use a lube, use it on the bullets; such as moly or boron nitride.

HTH,
DocB

Done deal, and thanks, Doc. I'm going back to keeping the bore completely dry except for storage.

Yours,

David